And my knees go weak again - the new Droidworx airframe

Macsgrafs

Yes Sid, got them mounted already....just trying to sort out where I can get cable to take 450Amps??

Ross

jes1111

Yes Sid, got them mounted already....just trying to sort out where I can get cable to take 450Amps??

Ross

You don't ;) - 'cos even if you used a big enough cable, there's no connector that would take it. At that level, I guess you have to split the battery packs - say 2 ESCs from each "sub-pack". I guess you could install a big-*** copper bus-bar (like there is inside a domestic fuse box), feed each battery pack onto it separately and take each ESC off it separately. I've been struggling with this issue myself recently. How do other people manage it?

Macsgrafs

You don't ;) - 'cos even if you used a big enough cable, there's no connector that would take it. At that level, I guess you have to split the battery packs - say 2 ESCs from each "sub-pack". I guess you could install a big-*** copper bus-bar (like there is inside a domestic fuse box), feed each battery pack onto it separately and take each ESC off it separately. I've been struggling with this issue myself recently. How do other people manage it?

I was thinking something along the lines of car battery cable? form it into a continuos loop & take 8 taps off to each ESC!

Ross

Pano-Dirk

How do other people manage it?

I'm using two LiPos 5000mAh 5S 40C.
One LiPo for 4 ESCs.

There are two cables (plus and minus) for the first bank (4 ESCs) and two cables for the second bank.
By a maximum of 40 A for evry BL-Ctrl the maximum current is 160 A for one bank. There are high current connectors available for this.

Dirk:
Im also contemplating, on building a SJ8, Do you think the BL-Ctrl can handle possible spikes? What brand connectors are you talking about?
Could i PM or email you for more info on the plattenberg motors?
Thanks
Felipe

Macsgrafs

Dirk:
Im also contemplating, on building a SJ8, Do you think the BL-Ctrl can handle possible spikes? What brand connectors are you talking about?
Could i PM or email you for more info on the plattenberg motors?
Thanks
Felipe

Felipe, the BL-CTRL can not handle the power needed by the bigger motors on the SJ8!

Ross

That what i thought since my numbers did not match using the BL with Axi 4120/20. Do you have the specs for the special plattenberg 15-20 so i can do the math????
Also what ESCs would you be using?

Pano-Dirk

Maiden flight done:
http://vimeo.com/28371418

The MK Bl-Ctrl can handle up to 40 ampere. With an 5S LiPo 800 watts are possible.
With 8 motors you will have 6.4 KW.
I am using APC 15x4 propellers and the thrust is 3,2 kg per motor.

I will do a test with 5 kg payload in the Next days and will give the details to you.
First I have to configure the PID values and to complete the copter.

This Plettenberg motor is a prototype. Details are coming soon.

Dirk

Last edited by a moderator:

Very nice! Let me know when the plattenberg info available and availability!
Probably will go with the axi but want to compare numbers!
Thanks

Felipe

SkyJib8

View attachment 884View attachment 883Here is a very basic question from a multirotor noobs. My background is with helicopters. I have a couple dedicated Maxi Joker 2 camera ships. I feel that the multirotors fill a niche that helicopters can't, i.e. tight flying spaces, near people and to be able to use cameras with cmos sensors.
I have recently purchased one of the Droidworx Cinema Series-C6 prototypes with Axi 2820/14 motors turning 14x4.7 APC sf props, maxing out at 36 amps each. I have not put a watt meter to it yet. I am powering it with the Hoverfly Pro board because read in a forum that the MK controller could not handle the power needs. After building a spider power distribution harness with copper washers and 8 awg wire it flys pretty well with (2x) 4s 5800mah batteries. I've only had about a 3lbs camera strapped to a Photohigher AV200 camera gimbal. I think these aircraft are great and the fact that you can even shoot a good video with a GoPro HD camera, which is tough with a helicopter, makes the use of this exciting.
My main confustion about multirotors is "head speed". If I am correct brushless motors and esc's operate best or most efficient in a certain operating range. These craft being fixed pitch I know that you can't fly in the 75% to 95% throttle range of a collective pitch helicopter but wit 14" props I am hovering, depending on weight, in the 34% to 44% throttle range at hover.
I feel like I am loading the motors and esc's. I saw the "SkyJib8 maiden flight" video and the props did not look like the 15" props that were talked about. They looked mor like 12" or 13" props.
My question is; Should I be changing my props out according to my flying weight of my aircraft so that I am hovering around mid stick (50%) on a linear throttle curve so that I have a more efficient.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. I am trying not to learn the hard way like I did with Helicopters. I have too much money already tied up in this hexacopter.

Thanks,
Wayne

Attachments

• DSC00924.jpg
    DSC00924.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC00909.jpg
    DSC00909.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 223

Pano-Dirk

Hi Wayne,

I am the owner of the maiden flight video.
Believe me, the props are APC 15x4.

Sorry ,I am sitting in a car, but will give you some more details later.

Dirk

That thing is huge then. How do you transport it without a van? I am very curious about where my best throttle speed should be in relation to motor efficiency.
I am so impressed by these machines. I was tweaking my stabilization a couple days ago and testing my gopro when I flew between 2 houses at the beach. I had maybe 8 feet of space between the shrubery. I flew in, with beach wind blowing at 10-15 mph, like it always does, stopped turned around and flew back by myself and back again out into an open field. I was shocked. I could have never done that with my Maxi Joker 2. The rotor diameter is 6 feet alone. 7 feet total length.
Wow! That alone was impresive to me.

DennyR

Maiden flight done:
http://vimeo.com/28371418

The MK Bl-Ctrl can handle up to 40 ampere. With an 5S LiPo 800 watts are possible.
With 8 motors you will have 6.4 KW.
I am using APC 15x4 propellers and the thrust is 3,2 kg per motor.

I will do a test with 5 kg payload in the Next days and will give the details to you.
First I have to configure the PID values and to complete the copter.

This Plettenberg motor is a prototype. Details are coming soon.

Dirk
What batteries could cope with 6.4 KW? I dont know of any Lipos that could take that discharge rate?

Last edited by a moderator: