And my knees go weak again - the new Droidworx airframe

DKTek

Hey Dirk, here's another thought with the Pletty Orbit....

how about they put the label on upside down so it reads proper on an Okto. The way it is now kinda implies that the machine is intended to go inverted. 3D helis put decals on upside down for a reason and considering the intended use here, inverted is a bad thing. Just my lousy $.02 for a $200 plus motor....

yeah, I know....flame on!

attachment.php

HeHe!!! Nice pic...:02.47-tranquillity: It's the little stuff.:highly_amused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Pano-Dirk

Yes DKTeK, we succeed your recommendation.
Now you can read the label, without doing a handstand ;-)

Thank you.

JLO

Hi folks can anyone tell me the frame weight of the SkyJib 8 w/standard landing and the CineStar 8, any comments on their respective advantages and disadvantages
thanks

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
hu tough question to answer without starting a discussion :).

I personally decided to get the CS 8, since I was a little shocked the first time i had the Skyjib standing in-front of me due to its weight and size, asking myself if its really necessary. At the same time i had in the back of my head the feeling damm if i ever want to take up a big cam ( which will never happen probably ) i will not have the chance with the CS 8. Than Tabbu posted his vid with the red epic on the CS8 and i was convinced.

Next experience was the build of the CS8 were i must say it doesn't come down more to the basics than the CS 8 does in a positive sense. Its a minimalistic clean approach assembled in an hours or less, due to not using loose nuts anymore but press nuts that are pressured into the carbon centerplate. I remembered back to my AD 8 and especially the hassle to change parts of the landing gear or to get the camera mount off etc. and again i was convinced that i made the right choice. At the same time though DW is bringing out upgrades to their birds and i guess simplifying their frames ?

Cant say more about the Skyjib though because i never built one. Someone else would have to comment on that !

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Essential would also be to take a look at the anti-vibration approach mount the Skyjib is taking. The system again simple no big deal is working great on the CS 8

There is only a small difference in diameter between the Skyjib 8 and the CS8. 1050mm vs 1000mm.

The Skyjib 8 weights 1.6 kilos landing gear included.
The CS 8 weights ?
I find both crafts nicely designed but severely overpriced.
Main drawback of both is their inability to fold into a smaller size.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I find both crafts nicely designed but severely overpriced.
Main drawback of both is their inability to fold into a smaller size.

These are seriously BIG craft.. The amount of R&D that has gone into both of these frames is huge.

Both the the DW and CS frames are designed as a professional tool without compromise. I think to enable it to be folded would totally compromise there ability to produce the results they are achieving, would substantially increase the weight & vastly raise the costs.

I think the CS is slightly heavier that the SJ but as the one in the shed is built up I cant go weigh just the frame!

Dave

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hmm my C8 is 2834 g without AV 130, otherwise RTF

Exclude 8 x QCs 139g incl. cables bullets = 1112 g
- DJi WKM 150 g
- 2 x Herkules ?
- Heat sink around 80g with roll cage
- Unilog ?
- Futaba RX ?
- Cables ?

minu known numbers we are at 1.492 total minus the parts were i was to lazy to look up the weight lets say 100 grams

so the CS 8 frame naked including landing gear ( three legs ) should be around 1.4 kg - 1.3 kg

Boris

JLO

Hi to all again question going back to motors for heavy lifters like the SK8 or CS 8, Quadrocopter US with their the Cine Star 8 (CS 8) advertise and use their own QuadroPower Motor QC-3328 how this motors compare to the Pletty Orbit 15, are the Pletty,s superior in range capacity ,component quality weight of the motor etc or its just that they are new and new components are more expensive due to R&D
price range is
Pletty 15 = 133 Euros = 177 USD
QC-3328 = 69 Euros =92 USD

any comments on the AXI 2826-12 and the AXI 4120-14 and how they compare
DW SkyJib 8 recommends the above AXI and Plettys,s motors

thanks to all

JLO

Hi to all, and to add some more motor questions on the previous motors post is this drawing something to consider on selecting motors I dont want to get too anal/nerdi on this this but $$ is $$ time is time I just want to spend it wisely and not regret it later

thanks again folks

Hi to all again question going back to motors for heavy lifters like the SK8 or CS 8, Quadrocopter US with their the Cine Star 8 (CS 8) advertise and use their own QuadroPower Motor QC-3328 how this motors compare to the Pletty Orbit 15, are the Pletty,s superior in range capacity ,component quality weight of the motor etc or its just that they are new and new components are more expensive due to R&D
price range is
Pletty 15 = 133 Euros = 177 USD
QC-3328 = 69 Euros =92 USD

any comments on the AXI 2826-12 and the AXI 4120-14 and how they compare
DW SkyJib 8 recommends the above AXI and Plettys,s motors

thanks to all

You should not compare Chinese made Tiger motor variants (QC-3328, AVroto 2814) to high quality hand made German motors.

http://www.rctigermotor.com/show.php?contentid=132

If AXI made a model size between 2826 and 4120 that would be comparable and slightly lower in quality than Pletty 15-20. They don't make such a motor, so Plettenberg stands alone in this range as far as I know.

The drawing shows the Pletty motors to have 3 bearings securing the bell allowing the motor to pack more power inside compared to a similar exterior dimensions motor.

jes1111

You should not compare Chinese made Tiger motor variants (QC-3328, AVroto 2814) to high quality hand made German motors.
Err... why not? China is just as capable of making quality goods as any other manufacturing nation. This "China = low quality" thing is very boring - "HobbyKing" is not "China" :)

Err... why not? China is just as capable of making quality goods as any other manufacturing nation. This "China = low quality" thing is very boring - "HobbyKing" is not "China" :)

I was not China product bushing but just stating a fact. I have owned the mentioned motors and found them ok, but AXI and Pletty are of much better quality.

JLO

Gentleman the idea is to be better informed on all of this components and their differences it would be great if some of you that know more can be more specific on why one motor is better than the other, reason for paying more is quality build only, or simply better design for the application, (SJ8) warrantees etc I know this can get into very complicated technical stuff at the end is everyone of us at the field enjoying and performing with this wonderful crafts with the components that we can afford and decided to buy, I have no problem spending more $ on better components at the end could be the difference between failures, crashes vibrations etc

thanks to all again
I hope we get some non bias info with this questions

Stacky

JLO the only thing I have seen but can no longer locate the thread was something about Axi motors being the most balanced motor and by quite a margin. The thread had a table of measurements which showed the Axi motor had 50% less vibration than other motors. Wish I could find the thread, may have been one of Old Man Mikes threads?. Trouble is this all helps to create urban myths really. he said then she said etc. I have had a play around with an axi motor off of a machine and it did feel very smooth to spin etc. Thats not very scientific though. I will keep searching for the axi motor comparison thread.

DKTek

Well, my 8 very expensive Pletty motors have arrived........
View attachment 1744View attachment 1745View attachment 1746View attachment 1747View attachment 1748View attachment 1749

BUT, is it worth even opening? This box is soft all around from the obvious abuse. The delivery guy was asked if it's supposed to look like this and he said,"Look where it came from". Not exactly a proper response from USPS....

So Dirk, where do we go from here? Send it back now or take a look first? I'll leave it unopened as I suspect that even the cool little containers didn't protect the Pletty's.

Attachments

• IMG_2196.jpg
    IMG_2196.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_2197.jpg
    IMG_2197.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_2198.jpg
    IMG_2198.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_2199.jpg
    IMG_2199.jpg