Aerodrive 8 vs Herkules II what's better for a DJI

Hi Boris,
I did notice ESC32 following blog post on diydrones, having seen enough of open hardware/ source projects, don't see why one shouldnt succeed :) again me, I have only been on the sides of the project never a leader :).
Castle creations are very good, and very pricey, I do have mamba XL on me, and really appreciate quality
Regards
Anish

jetforce

FLY HIGH AND STAY HIGH
hum think its going to be a rough one to get people motivated to start something off like this and than in combo with open source.

ESC32 is coming from OP and some other guys was reading a thread in RCgroups are also starting dont know how serious.

But one good news for WKM users if it dosent have to be a complete board castle creations is finally picking up on the ESC multirotor demand.

http://www.castlecreations.com/downloads/frh-phoenix.html

MultiRotor: New Multi-rotor vehicle type changes throttle response to allow for faster throttle response. Throttle processing has been completely rewritten to prevent aliasing of the throttle while limiting motor output throttle change rate.

more options are going to pop up.

Boris

Just startet buliding a SkyJib 8 with WKM, here I´m going to try the Castle Ice Lite 50.

@ Boris, did you get my PM, concerning PhotoHigher ?

jetforce

FLY HIGH AND STAY HIGH
Lars if you are going to use AXI 4120 with large props maybe the 75amp version of esc's are better suited.
If only CC released the new firmware two months ago :-(

I`ll use the AXI 2826/12 so 50amp should be ok.

First I wanted to go for Aerodrive 8, but this will take month before it works with WKM.

I know with CC and new FW, but no risk no fun:dejection:

DKTek

My AeroDrive 8 shipped today! I hope to be flying soon. I'm curious as to what guage wire you guys ran from the motors to the speed controllers on the AeroDrive8. I want to use 10 guage but some have said that's overkill. I prefer to keep the line loss down.

Here's my setup for now;

- SkyJib 8
- AeroDrive 8
- 15-20 Plettys
- APC 14 inch props, Zoar OTW
- Flight-Ctrl 2.1-ME with Traco TSR1-2450 regulators
- MK GPS V2.1 with shield
- MK Navi-Ctrl 2.0
- Retracts
- 2- AV200Pro 360 gimbals with PL 3X Pro Stab
- Fut14MZ and JR11X transmitters with long range modules for FPV. YES, I will also use the SJ8 for FPV stuff.....lots of fun.
- Blue Tooth modules

- Video links for all freq's with ground stations and a selection of diversity receivers and antennas
- Numerous nic-nacs such as spektrum diversity board, OSD, 4 way camera selector, light controller, spektrum telemetry, etc...
- Several styles of video goggles
- 3D FPV cams and regular day/night cams

For now, I have twin 6500mah 4s packs at 35C discharge.

My Plettys come with 16awg on them. But I used 14awg from the esc's. Even the 14 awg feels overkill.

Did you get the motors with the custom integrated prop adapter?

The guys in the video are using Plettenberg 15-20 and Aerodrive, something went wrong in their build.

FYI

http://vimeo.com/37902988

Well it wasn't protected yesterday. The video showed a SJ 8 with aerodrive board and no landing gear loosing control (orbit 15) and crashing on the AV 200 hanging underneath it. The Gimbal looked like it was made from paper. Suprisingly the wooden props don't break after hitting the cement.

"I was also looking at "active freewheeling" aka active rectification and noticed that if it's done cheaply (eg: just pick a FET conduction time like 50%), it would actually cause active braking naturally. I will experiment a bit with it, but it is a bit of a sensitive area and a lot more dependent on FET timing and motor current, which depends on all sorts of other factors." simonk

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513678&page=132

Maybe this is the problem plaguing the Herkules boards

Hey Redridingdude.....How is the build going....Do you have it in the air yet??

Hey Vortex,

Nope the SJ8 is grounted. I have seen some reports in the German forums that the Herkules II is having issues with Plettenberg 15-20 plus I am waiting to see when Andreas will release the new heavy duty version with DJI specific firmware.

I got one F550 to mess around with my Naza and honestly I feel much calmer flying 500 euro than 10000.

If you try a cheap Naza with simonk esc you will never want to fly anything else. I am seriously thinking of tossing the Herk's (1000 euro product wasting 4 months of my time) in the bin and getting some simonk esc's for the SJ8 aswell.

Only thing keeping me from this is some reports of esc's burning in flight. But that was with the old firmware.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
red should i translate anything or you from the german forum concerning the issue with the 15 - 20s and herks that you can make yourself a picture on whats going on ? What did Andreas say about herks and 15 - 20 shouldn't be used in that combo at the moment ?

Boris

Vortex

Hey Vortex,

Nope the SJ8 is grounted. I have seen some reports in the German forums that the Herkules II is having issues with Plettenberg 15-20 plus I am waiting to see when Andreas will release the new heavy duty version with DJI specific firmware.

I got one F550 to mess around with my Naza and honestly I feel much calmer flying 500 euro than 10000.

If you try a cheap Naza with simonk esc you will never want to fly anything else. I am seriously thinking of tossing the Herk's (1000 euro product wasting 4 months of my time) in the bin and getting some simonk esc's for the SJ8 aswell.

Only thing keeping me from this is some reports of esc's burning in flight. But that was with the old firmware.

I am in the same boat at the moment waiting for Andreas to get the HP board out there. I returned my Herc II boards before I got tempted to hook it up!!! The first email Andreas said he was expecting to have it flight testing now then the last email I got he said the end of April.........

I'm considering shelving the 4120/20 motors for the time being and fitting up a set of 2826/12 and running a MK Okto XL Board to get it flying and then wait for the Herc board but it's another $2.5K ........

It's frustrating having the SJ sitting there.....

Regards,

Lance

red should i translate anything or you from the german forum concerning the issue with the 15 - 20s and herks that you can make yourself a picture on whats going on ? What did Andreas say about herks and 15 - 20 shouldn't be used in that combo at the moment ?

Boris

Boris sorry I am not sure I understand your post.

In the German forums some burned the Herk's just by giving 50% throttle on the Plettenberg Orbit 15-20
The guy that sells the Plettys say that all is good with his motors
The guy that sells the Herkules says all is good with his esc's
The guy that watched 1000 euro go up in flames blaims both

Munch

I'm in the boat aswell.
Sitting here with a SkyJib 8 and Orbit 15/20, and sent the Hercules boards back after hearing about the issues. Tried the Orbits with standard BL-Ctrls 2.0 but although I have attached some radiators (20x16mm), the BLs are getting to hot. It's okay with a payload of about 3-4 kg (flying the SkyJib with retracts and AV200 360), but with a payload of 6kg, the BLs are definitely getting to hot.

Will pull the trigger for the Aerodrive board now... any suggestions? Seems that we're operating at the limit here.

Vortex

I'm in the boat aswell.
Sitting here with a SkyJib 8 and Orbit 15/20, and sent the Hercules boards back after hearing about the issues. Tried the Orbits with standard BL-Ctrls 2.0 but although I have attached some radiators (20x16mm), the BLs are getting to hot. It's okay with a payload of about 3-4 kg (flying the SkyJib with retracts and AV200 360), but with a payload of 6kg, the BLs are definitely getting to hot.

Will pull the trigger for the Aerodrive board now... any suggestions? Seems that we're operating at the limit here.
I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the Aero boards but then again they have only just made it to the shops.

My problem now is I am geared up for 6S with the 4120/20 motors and bits and pieces and it's going to hurt changing now......... I am thinking I'll wait to see what Andreas comes up with whilst crossing my fingers. Come June I will have to bite the bullet and make a decision no matter what happens!!

Munch

Well, I lost the faith in Andreas, there was no real progress since the beginning of February. We had the troubles in February with the Hercules and reported them immediately, but nobody really cared.

Vortex

Well, I lost the faith in Andreas, there was no real progress since the beginning of February. We had the troubles in February with the Hercules and reported them immediately, but nobody really cared.
It's understandable.......I am very disappointed also but having gone this far it's expensive to turn around and head off in another direction!!!

Munch

Yes, that's true. We're testing the DJY components now, because it seems to give as more options in the future concerning power boards. But it's still not there where we want it to be, many options promised, we will see in the next months. We will go with the Aerodrive board for now, but I'm afraid of the video posted here. Hope there are no problems with it aswell.