Aerodrive 8 vs Herkules II what's better for a DJI

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Boris sorry I am not sure I understand your post.

In the German forums some burned the Herk's just by giving 50% throttle on the Plettenberg Orbit 15-20
The guy that sells the Plettys say that all is good with his motors
The guy that sells the Herkules says all is good with his esc's
The guy that watched 1000 euro go up in flames blaims both

Did you read the explanation of Andreas concerning the way the herks were setup from the guy that they blew on. That was my offer to translate that for you (Concerning wrong elkos and wrongly installed etc.). Doesn't Andreas and Dirk give a clear answer to either use the herks pletti combo ? or a definite no don't go with this combo ?

Boris

Boris I didn't say that the compo Orbit Herkules is incompatible. I said that there are some issues on the German forums!

I am waiting like the rest of you for an update from someone responsible. :nevreness:

I am not going to risk 10000 euro hardware on "it might work we havent tested it"

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
okay got you, I thought it would be interesting for you guys who might not speak german to be informed what the discussion developed into. Waiting for new Herks is probably the best choice, at the same time annoying for you guys. !!! sorry for that !

DKTek

The AeroDrive route has been frustrating as well. You Herk guys have been flying for a while now but we are just getting them and who's to say that we won't have similar issues or even something entirely different. I just hope the wait will be worth it.

Vortex

Andreas is still working on the new Herc board and is saying the end of April for release now......

How are you guys getting on with the Aero boards??

Regards,

Lance

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
@Red those hammer guys are flying herks did I see that correclty ?

@Vortex end of april first beta boards arrive or full end customers release ? Did Andreas mention ?

Boris

Munch

Did you read the explanation of Andreas concerning the way the herks were setup from the guy that they blew on. That was my offer to translate that for you (Concerning wrong elkos and wrongly installed etc.). Doesn't Andreas and Dirk give a clear answer to either use the herks pletti combo ? or a definite no don't go with this combo ?

I got a "don't try it" mail from Andreas when I mentioned using the Orbits. Now I got an Aerodrive Board, this will soon be ready for DJI too (other controller board). Quadro and Hexa Aerodrive are coming too afterwards.

Vortex

@Vortex end of april first beta boards arrive or full end customers release ? Did Andreas mention ?

Boris
Hey Boris,

I just read his email again and he says first samples expected end of March and expecting to deliver more at the end of April. It will also have over current and over temp protection but wouldn't elaborate more as he is still testing.

Regards,

Lance

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
japp i like the setup, it would be scarred ....less if i had to start and land the copter that way, but i guess they know what they are doing until it goes wrong, which i hope it never will. ! Maybe its time to start going crazy and make an own frame :)

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hey Boris,

I just read his email again and he says first samples expected end of March and expecting to deliver more at the end of April. It will also have over current and over temp protection but wouldn't elaborate more as he is still testing.

Regards,

Lance

Hu thanks lance, I am excited at the point were i get my hands on them i will give my CS 8 a motor upgrade and start testing them right away.

Boris

jrlederer

Ummmm....please advise

Hello to all,

Sorry but I am seriously having partial cardiac-arrest right now and I'm praying some of you brilliant guys with much more experience than I can come to the rescue and make my heart at ease. I am currently mid-build with a SkyJib 8 with Axi 4120/20 motors all 'round. Anyone care to propose a case for the Plettenberg motors to be used instead? Initially, during my planning phase of the build, I sprung for a set of Herkules II v4 boards (mfg date 2011-12-10319 from stamp on PCB). Then I remember having read a thread, though very incomplete details in the post that referred to these boards not having nearly enough juice to supply what the 4120/20s need to operate during high strain. Since I also have a smaller Droidworx AD6-HL with Axi 2814/22s, I wasn't too bummed since in the worst case scenario I at least had a nice replacement for the MK hexa-PDB if/when the time came that a replacement was needed for that setup.

Based on conversation with the guys at Aerodron.ch, I made the decision to purchase one of their Aerodrive 8 boards, being assured that it would be able to keep up with my exact listing of components. That was just a few days ago, before I was fortunate enough to come across this topic. Basically, my head is now all jumbled up after flipping page by page through this thread...is any combination of the tremendous amount of componentry (not to mention the large tax on our project's overall budget that my uncertainty, admittedly due I large part to my lack of experience with such high-end machines, has cost thus far) going to reliably lift the RED Epic that our DP has obtained for my use on the set? How should I ultimately compose my SkyJib for the greatest chances of success, with the Aerodrive 8 board, the Herkules II v4, or is there some other solution that is best and yet gone listed here? I suppose there may be some value due to the fact that the Herkules boards are still in their anti static pouches, unopened with all the components unsoldered as well.

Pretty, pretty please, with sugar on top, can someone with more knowledge than I have about this particular subject (most of you, I presume) help me to sort out my issues with this build so I don't end up unnecessarily risking the studio's RED Epic, Skyjib, my pride and/or personal safety of anyone who might be in the vicinity of this theoretical masterpiece so I don end up re-making the story of the titanic on the set of a boxing movie?

I thank you all, in advance, for any/all help you might be able to provide me I making this dream-machine a safe and successful reality.

Kind regards,

Jonathan :dejection:

Oh, and fwiw, just to provide a complete picture of the completed octo, it is rounded off with the DW retracts, a full MK stack (FC, Navi, GPS) -- but also have the HoverFly Pro+GPS available as an alternate option, and a FreeFly Cinestar 360° 3-axis gimbal managed by either what I have currently, which is a PicLoc 3X Pro by George Mamo, or possibly Tabb's recommendation of Carvec Systems Stabilization Module)

Thanks again for taking the time from your day to read this lengthy post. Cheers!

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Jonathan,

if you haven't checked out this thread yet I think it will answer a lot of your questions http://forum.mikrokopter.de/topic-30406.html, should give you some insights on the motor question a whole rumble about them going on.

Cornering Herks or Aerodrive. There haven't been any reports that the aerodrive is having issue with the bigger motors. Concerning Herks and the big motors please contact andreasbair.de and ask him if the V4 is right for which kind of motors and what the status is about the new higher amp Herks. He will give you an honest answer !

I think you will find more experience reports and setup help with a HL in combo with MK than hoverfly.

Tabb knows what he is talking about so Carvec could be a way to go. Getting a picloc at the moment is a little annoying. I am not 100% happy with picloc in combo with a CS gimbal but a FW update will be released soon and lets hope for the best.

Boris

jrlederer

Boris-
Thank you so very much for the prompt reply. I will look further into all that you've recommended. I see in your signature that you have a CS8 using herkules ii v4 escs. I was wondering, since after speaking with my DP recently and learning that they are desiring that I furnish myself with a second unit fully functional for a 'just in case' scenario (which I really hope doesn't come to be), if you think a fully blown setup using the CS has as much ability to accomplish the red lifting task as does the SJ8 that I've described herein. Naturally I wonder what motors and roundings offs you have with that setup for which the herkules boards are performing well, because, truth be told, I actually have a qty of 4 Herkules II v4 boards due to my desire for redundancy when I was under the impression that those boards were up to the task of driving big-boy motors. I looking forward to hearing the what Andres Baier has to say for my situation. bounce again, thank you for your good advice. Much appreciated. By the way, have you seen the Q4 Systems iceCrab with their custom Epic gimbal? Beautiful, huh? I contacted them but unfortunately, at this time they are not selling their technology but instead renting their equipment with operator and dispatching that combo worldwide for a hefty price tag. I wish I could obtain some solo time with their stuff...masterpiece is the right league of terms for a MR like that!