a newbie looking for a copter for professional gopro filming

kloner

Aerial DP
i like everything but the motors. if you want cheaper good motors, look at sunnysky, think there 2216 or 2217 in 900kv, super smooth

kloner

Aerial DP
the dji motors are junk. When you come back here whining about it flipped over, remember i told ya so

Those sunnysky motors are really nice for the money. I watch em all fly all the time. There basically the same kv.....

tstrike

pendejo grande
the dji motors are junk. When you come back here whining about it flipped over, remember i told ya so

they were good enough to get Kloner goin, why you slammin lil red?
Looks like a nice little starter pack, but if you question the sellers knowledge, did he build it?

kloner

Aerial DP
mine lasted 2 weeks. Switched over to suppo 2814-1000 and never looked back. Had those on everything till barts xy8 build.

tikigod19

Those sunnysky motors are really nice for the money. I watch em all fly all the time. There basically the same kv.....

Now kloner I do wish to wouldn't shout at me in public, you know the kids don't like it. Besides if i didn't value your advice I wouldn't have gone from a £500 phantom to a £900 550!

One thing I would say is that in all of the videos I've watched of smooth flight (my absolute number 1 priority) people often mention many upgrades/components but rarely the motors. Are you sure they'd benefit someone wanting smooth no frills video flights as much as someone wanting to show off their skills to the ladies?

tikigod19

they were good enough to get Kloner goin, why you slammin lil red?
Looks like a nice little starter pack, but if you question the sellers knowledge, did he build it?

Yeah I think he is building it but the price is fantastic and his feedback seems great.. Many people saying his quads "fly fantastically"

tstrike

pendejo grande
Cool beans! Kloners right though, the dji motors are junk for the price, but they'll get you through till at least your first heinous crash then you can upgrade motors if you still feel multirotoring is for you.

kloner

Aerial DP
i've gone over the motors from the first page on this thread. i'll go over it again

The prop adapters are built onto the motor bells. if you crash (and you will) and that bends it's a $23 motor to fix it.

they got some problem with soldering over there.... dji gets rosin all over the connectors on the motors. it intermitently makes a motor loose contact and the model flips to it's death. if your 2 feet up over grass it'll break a prop, if it's way up and hits something hard, it'll smoke alot of parts

There only 120 watt motors. it is great at lifting as it's sold in the arf box, but you start adding anything to the model they become underpowered quickly.

There alos not smooth at all. Power up the midel without a prop and drag your finger nail across the bell while they spin. You'll feel alot of vides.

Whats wrong with vibes? well it makes jello but more importantly is the cause of a flyaway scenario where the models motor vibrates so hard it throws off the dji algorithym to the point nothing you do means anything. it just leaves.

wasn't yelling at ya, just keeping you informed of the downside to your choices...... you can sell them motors to some unsuspecting customer.

Tiger has a cheap 2216-900 for $25 a pop. Best value but only up to 3s. http://clubheli.com/Tiger-Motors-and-ESCs/Multi-Rotor-Motors-MS/Tiger-Motors-MS-2216-900KV.html

moy buenno

tstrike

pendejo grande
I liked my dji motors so much, I gave them away for free so that some other special spirit in the world could feel the love.

tikigod19

Understood. If they can't switch them I'll wait till I crash then upgrade, sounds a no brainer. Easy to switch them out with no experience?

tikigod19

I'm also going to preorder the mastor-g gimbal.. I take it ill be ok with a 2 axis gimbal on an 8ch tx? Will also get the simple landing gear recommended earlier in this thread.

RCJardin

Not so new and improving
I bought an upgraded F550 from UAVshop. It has IPower motors and tall landing gear. Going to use it with WKM so that I can be prepared for a bigger machine when the time comes. Will get a BL gimbal but will wait for gimbal wars to die down a little. Will probably get the Viacopter version as Strasbourg is nearer than China to get things sorted. Just started the build - very exciting.

tikigod19

I bought an upgraded F550 from UAVshop. It has IPower motors and tall landing gear. Going to use it with WKM so that I can be prepared for a bigger machine when the time comes. Will get a BL gimbal but will wait for gimbal wars to die down a little. Will probably get the Viacopter version as Strasbourg is nearer than China to get things sorted. Just started the build - very exciting.

Excellent stuff. How much did you pay? I'd not heard of uavshop until now but their site only seems to show frame only prices. Do they build too?

RCJardin

Not so new and improving
I a sure UAVshop can help you in some way. The general advice is that you should build a machine to get an understanding of how everything works. Simple problem solving skills will be needed later in the whole quadcopter experience. I bought a Phantom and then have moved onto the F550 before getting a bigger machine if the demand is there to pay for it. Beware of gimbal choice as AlexMos is not involved with all the projects racing ahead.

tikigod19

Ok.. And alexmos is the controller? Meaning I might buy a well built BG with a naff controller? Maybe I'll wait on the BG.. Seems silly to rush in to save $50 by pre ordering something that turns out to be rubbish..

RCJardin

Not so new and improving
It seems every man and his dog has become a BL gimbal manufacturer. I think one of the big 3 or 4 having a direct agreement with alexMos seems to be the horses to back unless you just get the Zenmuse which is acknowleged as the absolute best (certainly for noobs without gimbal experience) by many of the knowledgable posters.