a newbie looking for a copter for professional gopro filming

kloner

Aerial DP
I think to do it with a hero would have it in a unsafe position for a newer pilot. if it was sheep, i'd say knock em dead, if it's a wedding party with families, kids, you better be a really proficient pilot with extrordinary build skills. your better off making it a hobby then consider using it as a tool. these are alot different than most gear, it can cause major bodily harm

every business i've been involved with has used new offering as provided by experianced 2nd parties till we had enough knowledge to do it ourselves. Find a local guy that's knocking it dead with multis and see if it's even worth it

tikigod19

Is it that much harder with the gopro fitted on then? I assumed it'd be fine as the phantom was designed with it in mind (I have the hd hero 3,the lightest)

Oh and don't worry in wouldn't fly it anywhere near people at weddings.. It's just to get that wow shot of the venue really...

kloner

Aerial DP
it'd be fine if you never wanted to fit a gimbal and there was never wind. the difference between a 330 and 450 stability wise is massive. i tried showing ya but it didn't take. Try a phantom,,,, when it dissapoints ya you'll have a naza and some crappy motors to move onto a 450. if wifi is on anywhere near you, the non frequency hoping radio that comes with phantom can go out of control. That's a great problem around crowds and a pro biz....

kloner

Aerial DP
get at least the futaba 8j on the cheap, the 8fg is on sale everywhere cause it got replaced by 14sg..... there a great buy as well

Look at a decent set of motors, something like tiger navigator 2215 or the mt 2216-900

dji 30 amp esc's

some brand of 9" prop like graupner ( be extremely careful, they are sharp, but they make go pro fiming possible)

naza w/gps

That there will make money not crashed, won't be sensitive to flyaway from smaller motors and smooth. when you crash it, you gotta keep on top of repairs. power it up propless and feel for vibes, if found change out the motor, things like that. should do omething like 10-15 minutes with a 4s 3300mah pack

and get that wire isolator from breeze, it'll just make you look good

but man, i'm not kidding. if you can recruit a competant pilot in the area to mentor you or at least come show you how to do it is invaluable. i'd go practice a while in the middle of nowhere and crash it a few times, learn how to repair it, learn orientation and have fun....... your confidence/consience will tell ya when your ready to use it for money or to upgrade

tikigod19

I really appreciate your help sir.. Off to read up price up and hopefully conquer the skies!
Initial rough pricing is around £900 but seen this gps kit for a fraction less. I take it that the others components on this are below what you advised??

http://quadcopters.co.uk/dji-f450-naza-ready-to-fly-with-gps-562-p.asp

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
yea, that's the crappy motors. the prop adapters are built on so one broken prop ruins a motor.

the bullet connectors 50% of the time fail and the model flips.

i know theres more, oh, you have to run washers to tighten down a graupner prop, there usualy not of a precise fit and add to the problem

I had em for 2 weeks and they went to the trash

the dx8 is alright, but i'd take the futaba link quality over any telemtry capability any day.....

Not being mean or rude, just what i know about what you linked

now if you can talk them into a tiger navigator motor upgrade which they might offer then it'd start being a sweeter deal.

tstrike

pendejo grande
this is alot of rig, but talk about a nice platform to film from. These hover in wind awesome, and this kit in particular has a down view or forward view. that is alot of chopper, might be too much to just go throw at the ground

http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...-Built-DX8-TR-FVP-Gear-Fat-Sharks-Instant-Fly!

that's a helluva deal right there, everything you end up buying anyway. By the time it was all said and done with my first 450 I was close to 1500 bucks not having any prior rc equipment on hand, plus prolly another 500 worth of crap I thought I needed but didn't.

Full Disclosure: I have nothing to do with the ad in the post but it is a complete package at a reasonable price for someone looking to get started imho.

tikigod19

I totally agree and would be snapping it right up if I weren't in the UK.

UK ebay user vario-helicopter has a few 450 options but again all the crappy motors I think.. Would you mind taking a look? I can't link you from my phone in afraid..

tikigod19

Thanks kloner, I've asked. I'm worried I won't have the guts to pull the trigger on that kind of price if I don't understand WHY it's worth it.. My knowledge on these things is less than you think trust me.. But I'm a bit scared to ask the stupid questions! Do you know of a thread that explains the terminology and what role different parts perform?

All I know is if you say it's good then it must be based on others comments on what you say!

tikigod19

After watching some videos that qav500 is an incredible machine.. I'd be scared senseless flying it to start with but I know I'd do what I want to do with it. No chance I'll end up being the lucky buyer though sadly.. Too much US interest already..

kloner

Aerial DP
i don't have time, but glance through the rcgroups classifieds link i posted and watch it for new listings. you get alot for alot less,,,, assuming it all works or is new enough to warranty

tikigod19

get at least the futaba 8j on the cheap, the 8fg is on sale everywhere cause it got replaced by 14sg..... there a great buy as well

Look at a decent set of motors, something like tiger navigator 2215 or the mt 2216-900

dji 30 amp esc's

some brand of 9" prop like graupner ( be extremely careful, they are sharp, but they make go pro fiming possible)

naza w/gps

Found a local guy who says he can build to that spec for £375-£475.. Sounds too good to be true and he says he uses some hobbyking parts..

Rehost

In my opinion,

The Dji F550 would be more suitable for you Tiki. The extra lift capacity gives you room to make a decent platform for videography. Coupled with the new brushless gimbals coming out, it will be a respectable machine.

The 450 be cheaper but you will hit your weight limit much faster. The 450s are also the "fun" frames.

No matter what they say, get a Naza with GPS. Tried, tested and true. Smoothest flight controller out there.

I can't comment on what Kloner suggests but everything he says is from experience. I can't say the 450 won't be good for you, but from my research I went to the 550 because of weight limits.

Oh, and please, respect the machine. Something happens while filming and the 'copter becomes a flying saw blade.

Besides that, have fun! We will help you if you have any questions! And don't be shy to ask, we prefer a question "how tight should I tighten.." Than a picture of hurt people and egos.

Dan

tikigod19

Maybe you are onto something..

"I have both F450 and F550 since yesterday : I made my first F550 flight yesterday and found it more stable than my F450, especially versus wind.
This test flight was done with default gains, and with a 4S 5300 mAH lipo. However, the F550 has more inertia in its movement, at least with the default gains.

I find the F550 better for calm and fluid flights and the F450 better for fun flights. I however need more flights to confirm this..."

Someone then confirms this in the next post..

A hex for am absolute newbie though.. Risky? It's also working out at double the price.. More than I expected!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rehost

Well the I I extra inertia goes without saying since it is a larger frame.

I'm going with your intention to get into the hobby: aerial video/photo. To get a nice video, you will need quite a few pieces of equipment. All this will add significant weight to the machine and that's where the 450 will stop you.

I currently have the following setup:
F550
AeroXcraft gopro gimbal (regular one)
Hero 3
RVOSD (you need OSD to tell you battery data)
4S 5000mah battery
AeroXcraft landing gear (give you height for gopro gimbal)
5.8ghz transmitter
10" Graupner props

All this adds up to around 2500grams. Pretty hefty!

Everything they say in that thread is true. But can be controlled. The larger mass will also give you smoother video, however the larger surface area of props (imagine one large 20-some odd inch plate) is more prone to wind turbulence. So don't fly in high winds (15+km/h).

Yes I do snow removal, not a good winter for us! LOL too much damn snow!