2014 - best ESC at the moment?

fltundra

Tundra,

have be you used the KDE yet???

i didn't see any jeti specific stuff on that link...

Jeti made some negative comments over in the Taranis thread that made me never buy from that company! Looked, can't find them, he may have removed the negative one's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Jeti made some negative comments over in the Taranis thread that made me never buy from that company! Looked, can't find them, he may have removed the negative one's.

Are the KDE working well??? Are you beta testing? I didn't think they were out yet.

fltundra

No, only pre-order. No I'm not beta testing, Just can tell you these are very nice, can't share how i know, sorry. Based on there motors i have, quality is absolutely top notch.

FerdinandK

From my point of view there is no "best" ESC, there are just people reporting their experience, the choice is always yours (as the responsibility is).
On my copter there are all over hobbywing (from 12Afunfly to 80A HV). The bigger the copter the less important the "speed" of the ESC becomes.
Here a selection of my copter:
https://vimeo.com/album/2616894

Also the Afro-ESCs are quite nice (if your motors can deal with simonk).

Much more important than the choice of ESC is, to have a minimal number of connectors between Motor and Battery, from my point of view - one - is the only acceptable number. Most ESC burn when loosing of one phase under load, or even when the resistance of one phase only explodes. So taking care on your soldering points means to take care on your ESCs, and do not place them somewhere hidden from fresh air, or do not additionally isolate them with any material of your choice.

@Carapau
quite a number of people were using Jeti (including me) and were impressed how nice the DC-16 looks and feels - until ...
now I have 2,5K electronic waste and cannot even sell it because I know what it can do (cannot do)

best regards
Ferdinand

baja-king

Here for the ride :)
@Carapau
quite a number of people were using Jeti (including me) and were impressed how nice the DC-16 looks and feels - until ...
now I have 2,5K electronic waste and cannot even sell it because I know what it can do (cannot do)

best regards
Ferdinand

What are you referring to here Ferdinand???

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
From my point of view there is no "best" ESC, there are just people reporting their experience, the choice is always yours (as the responsibility is).

I agree. It really seems that the "best ESC" is really just personal opinion about how they have performed for that particular person. Since it doesn't seem that there is a vast difference in components (for the majority of basic ESCs), it really may come down to QC by the manufacturer, and then the compatibility with your specific list of components. I say this because I am using some ESCs on a hex that have proven top-notch for many people, but with my specific set-up, they won't even arm the motors. Ugh! Also, Tundra has had nothing but great things to say about the Castle, but RTRyder had one smoke and drop. Different usage, different builds. Lots of variables.

And then there's always a little luck....

fltundra

@Carapau

best regards
Ferdinand

Yea, i remember reading your posts way back.

fltundra

KDE and Castle as far as I'm concerned, uses the best available semi's, top QC,
and I can pick up the phone and contact weekdays anytime i have a question.

Just thought id throw this out there, I tagged my esc's wth a infrared thermometer last nite in hover, all my esc's were between 92 and 94 degrees F. Ambeint temp was 87f.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I see a lot of guys "way" over-sizing their esc's, which only increases heat and efficiency..
u

Are you saying by going oversied on your ESC's, you are increasing the heat of the ESC (is this bad?) and also increasing teh efficiency (this is good?).

kloner

Aerial DP
if all you do is hover, you can assume that if your drawing 100 amps on a octo that it's 12.5 amps an arm, problem is when you carry big payloads in wind and or actually fly the thing at any speed you shift that 12.5 amps a motor to a couple motors pulling 40-50 amps a piece and the rest half way idling. that and the fact all current chineese esc's are so over-rated amp handling wise... about half from what results we see in obtopsies

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
u

Are you saying by going oversied on your ESC's, you are increasing the heat of the ESC (is this bad?) and also increasing teh efficiency (this is good?).

I think the increase in efficiency was a typo - looks like tundra fixed it. No question that heat can be the foe of a healthy ESC - but I was under the impression that the excess power that will be dissipated is caused by other factors. Isn't the ESC going to pass the power that is being required by the motor? It's not like it creates a different level of power on its own (which would need to be dissipated). Correct?

FerdinandK

This is a thread on "the best escs 2014"

What happened to me is just that I learned that if something looks extremely nice, the core functionality needs not to follow. This is just my own experience, it does not mean anything to anybody else, others may have made other experiences.

best regards
Ferdinand

baja-king

Here for the ride :)
This is a thread on "the best escs 2014"

What happened to me is just that I learned that if something looks extremely nice, the core functionality needs not to follow. This is just my own experience, it does not mean anything to anybody else, others may have made other experiences.

best regards
Ferdinand

Sorry Ferdinand, but your comment about Jeti was quite serious...

FerdinandK

After crashing 2 copter it was also serious enough to me ( I could watch the crashes because I lost rc-link before the 5,8 video-link with 25mW, which I was not used to). So what to do with an rc-transmitter and the receivers where you have experienced that they have reduced range? It is similar to the ESC question, what does it help if you have a nice support, or if you can reach support on the phone? If you need to call the support it is already too late. Rc-components as well as ESCs I just take out of the box mount them on the copter and expect them to work. If that is not the case no support in the world can prevent me to search for alternatives and never touch this stuff again. That is one thing most important to me, that I can rely on the components, since I cannot check them all (up to a simple function test). The same is true for availability, what does it help if you know that the escs of your desire are working great, but you cannot get the number you need?

I experienced that I can rely on Hobbywing ESC regardless of the motor type and size (even U8)
I learned that with SimonK Firmware on ESC you can have surprises, most of them when you try to start the motors, but a few of them in flight.

best regards
Ferdinand