CS8 to X8 conversion - Herkules ESC III V3

Just a note, I tried my Hercules on another flight controller today (in house product) and it was 100% perfect with no surging. I believe that the pulse timing of the DJI is wacko or similar

Tabb

elossam

Me too have had no problems between dji + herkules in a cx4. The only wish is a lower timming firm close to the 3.75° I used with the turnigy plush and an explanation to know if the way dji +herkules work is the reason of higher engine temperatures than the same setup based on turnigy plush.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Just a note, I tried my Hercules on another flight controller today (in house product) and it was 100% perfect with no surging. I believe that the pulse timing of the DJI is wacko or similar

Tabb

I think its primarily in combo with FW on. I dont get any of this with my CX WKM Herk and FW off. Just mounted some QC equivalent motors on the CX and will do some more test with all different DEG and FW on or off to pinpoint it more.

Boris

I tried all timing settings with no progress. Only warmer motors. I think my amp draw will be too much to try with FW off.

On the German forums I see them discussing a value Herkules II with no FW at half the price. Maybe CX and lightweight quad users can get this instead when it gets released.

http://forum.mikrokopter.de/topic-25255.html

I hope Andreas and Sebastian can test the Herkules with the DJI system this week and offer some assistance, if not then it looks like Maytech esc's will get all the attention.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Guys i dont get it. I have the Herks on the CX with WKM, KW motors more or less the same specs as the QCs, 12 3.8 CF props 11 gram Herks set to 18 DEG FW ON, and nothing no surges ? Before with the AXIs the smaller one i had the issue. The more I test and try to figure it out the less i can pinpoint it !

Last edited by a moderator:

Siteline

We went out yesterday after installing the grapners 11X5 and we witnessed wkm in it's incredible form! I have to say there was no wind, but still it was amazing! There were no power surges at all. I'm still on AFW1 24DEG. We did spend a bit more time trying to dial in the gains and for yesterdays flights they were around 300% on the basics and we had Atti on a slider dialed down to between 40%-65%. I don't really know where the power surges went, but I'm not complaining:) Thanks to RTryder and Boris for helping me understand a method for setting up the gains. Now I need to sort out some toilet bowl issues in gps? Which I understand could be a by product of the low atti gains? But i'm pretty sure it was the same when the atti gains were at 100%. Any suggestions on dialing that in? The true test of flight will be determined today when we check out the video quality.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I really do hope Andreas and Sebastian also test with bigger props. Knowing that sebastian is also a friend of Graupners i have my worries. It really seems to be the combo with bigger props and WKM herkules may FW on or off cant say yet.

Just remembered this with the 14 x 4 on.

Right at the beginning you see a typical power surge.

Would you guys agree that the surges are present most of the time in a alt hold locked hovering state. Just remember that when rising or descending they were not present.

Siteline

Have you tried the APC 13"E props? We have a set and will put them on soon to do some tests. They could be nice middle ground?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
nope havent tried them yet still on the ground with mine. For me personal I just know the lighter the props the better for the WKM, so 11 grams CF 12 x 3.8 and the graupner gave me the best results. I am also going to try the 12 x 4.5 CF from the MK shop although the price really hurts !!!

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
and i think the sruges are more bound to the weight of the props. If you remember you had the surges with the 12 3.8 APC which are arround 16 -18 grams i think. The CF MK 12 3.8 are a copy of those with the difference that they only weigh 11 grams

Hi all,

the last two days we had very ugly weather (lots of wind, rain and freezing coold) but Sebastian's Team managed to do some test flights.
Here is the data:

Quadrocopter with different weight and propeller configurations.
- Axi 2814/22
- 6s 4200
- 11x5; 13x6,5
- Droidworx AD4 HLE
- Weight 2,2Kg up to 3Kg

Herkules:
- AFW 1
- 24 Deg
- 8Khz
-
WKW latest FW from 11.1.2012

No power sourges at all, we had strong wind with up to 35 Km/h so no smooth flying but the height control in ATT Mode worked really good. With the Big Props and NO payload I needed around 15% to hover so the AFW was not enabled so we tested the limit of the activation of the AFW but had no surges.

We will go on testing further on if the weather gets a bit better and do also some movies.

Fact up to now: with this Quadro-config we had no issue at all, even with AFW=ON and very low load. So i think Active freewheel is not the bad guy here!
Now we have 3 more possible failure root causes:

1) The connection of 2 x Herkules together in an Octo System causes some trouble, e.g. Ground offets and false detected PPM signals?
2) The DJI Firmware is still buggy and can't get with a very fast ESC as the Herkules is, yet?
3) The Attitude Hold of DJI causes some problems?

=> As we don't have an Octo DJI System up to now we can not test right now. We will build one soon. Maybe we will meet with Boris again and search with him on his System.

As i am the "Advocate" of the Herkules, and looking to the facts right now i cannot find it yet guilty. Maybe we will have to blame somewone other ;-) I am sure we will find the problem soon.

Question to all: Did you check if the surges are present in Manual-Mode?

So I have been testing on a small lightweight quad with AFW on. I do have surges but only in Atti mode. My hunch is that it is something to do with the pulse output of Alt hold by the DJI.

Tabb

SJ8, Plettenberg 15-20, JXF 14x4, 2x 4S 8000mah lipo, AUW 6,8, 8-9 amp draw during hover per motor.

Surges are present in both Atti and GPS modes. Too scared to try manual in this weather. Will test when wind dies down.

Should the 2 Herk's ground be connected?

If I can get my hands on some APC 13x4 I will give them a try.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Andreas you guys tell me when you have time ( will do that over email) and i will come down to Regensburg. Have a big collection of props by now so we can test it with all different combos. I also had the surges on my CX Quad with AXI 2217/20, than again with the QCs/KWs I didnt.

Boris

Hi!

I´ve been following this thread with big interest from the start, since I´m also building a CS6 with WK-M..
However I from the start planned to build acc to specs for an RTF CS6 from QC.US, but later on decided to implement the DJI instead.
(Have flown mk Okto for 2 years, and has been quite satisfied, but now want to try out the DJI as well)

My plan is to use HW 40A Pentium ESCs to begin with, and wonder you would say that the prop size/wight issue is solely related to the WK-M/Hercules combo?
I have not flown the bird yet, and was aiming for the 14" APC that I have, and also comes with the RTF kit for mk stuff..

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Well the prop/size combo and power surges we think is related to the WKM Herkules combo at the moment.
Concerning WKM in general no matter which ESCs you use, many have gotten better results and a more stable
flight behavior with smaller props. 14 seems to be to heavy for the WKM setup to really fine tune the gains, thus get
a smooth flying copter, especially if you have a little bit of wind impacting !

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Is n't it a screw holder spinning around the motor axis; not enough tight?

nisouck not quite sure what you are getting at, but since we all already had power surge issues i think a mechanical problem can be rules out

Boris