Zenmuse GH4 Owners thread

PMaughan

These gimbals certainly have a personality, each one seems different. Maybe it's the hdmi cable that's the problem, I could only output 24fps for a while until I changed the cable.

scotth

These gimbals certainly have a personality, each one seems different. Maybe it's the hdmi cable that's the problem, I could only output 24fps for a while until I changed the cable.
And I couldn't output 24fps until I changed the cable!

CloudVisual

Right here goes...! I've left this until the bitter end and today was the last straw.

I'm on my third GH4 Zen and I thought I'd finally sorted it.

My history of these is as follows: first was DoA. The second had a faulty HDMI board, which meant it wouldn't output anything to the video link, unless it was recording in AVCHD.

I was given a replacement Zen after a lot of backwards and forwards regarding where the issue was. It took a lot to prove the board was broken, but I eventually got a replacement.

The new Zen was set up and produced a video and worked very well. I did a little dance when it all worked and I finally thought my headache was over.

Today was the first day off the bench and to get out and get everything tested. However just before I left, I wanted to check the GPS firmware, because I'd upgraded to the Pro Plus and it seemed to quite happily accept the upgrade without requesting calibration.

I plugged it in and the gimbal did nothing. There were status LEDs showing and it had power. At first I thought I'd not hooked up the XT60 to power it, but it was all correctly connected.

I powered down and cycled. Still nothing. This persisted for about a dozen times. After a fair bit of ruling out, I held it in a centred way and powered up again. It kicked in and started to calibrate. Following this, it worked every time, so I checked it all over and got it packed away.

Later in the field I had the exact same problem, but it was quickly rectified by cycling the power (a good ten times) whilst holding the gimbal so it faced level and forward. However following a power cycle, the problem came back and refused to fix itself. There is power to the gimbal and it shows a screen on the monitors, but the gimbal motors are completely dead with no resistance.

I've no idea where to turn or how to fix this.... So if anyone can shed some light on this, I'll be very greatful.

Sorry if this has been answered before, I just couldn't find any solution searching both on google and on the forum.
I'm having a heavy horizon drift while paning around. I've updated to the latest firmware but ti seems to be worst?
Any link to this topic will be appreciated! Many thanks friends,
Pablo

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
One way is to recalibrate your compass in as metal free environment as possible.

If you have an A2, try advanced IMU calibration.

I just updated the Zenmuse firmware to the latest version and did the zenmuse calibration thing and it has helped a tiny bit.

Yellow

Sorry for resurrecting a slightly old thread, but after reading through I can't find a solution to my problem.

I'm running A2 on my S900 and I've never had a problem with my zen, I've taken it on and off a few times in the past and its always been fine.

I had it off recently, I managed to fix my waypoints (cunning little can bus port swap needed due to a firmware update) So all my A2 components have been updated, I connected the gimbal again, same as I always do (I hadn't changed any of the camera settings) and now I'm getting no picture - not the white screen, its just black with my osd telemetry on. As my friends suggested I made sure my lens cap was off - so supportive!

My first step was to double check the wire connections, they all look physically fine, so tried a firmware update in case it was out of sync with the iosd, but that didn't seem to do anything.

Since all that I've power cycled many many times, in different orders, and still no joy changing all the camera settings from NTSC/PAL?HDMI down/auto/off/1080p etc and still nothing :(

Gimbal is switched on AV, and the led on the front is both red and green, solid. When I power on the camera, the red and green LEDs both flash, which seems like it should be fine.

I have tried changing which can port it goes into the iosd no luck.

Any ideas?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
HDMI lead?

The solid light on the zen means convertor working but no signal from camera received.

The lead is also the same as the Zen BMPCC (micro HDMI).

Or possibly a camera setting?

All plugged in correctly (plugs seated all the way in)?

Yellow

Sorry, yes its with the HDMI lead, and both that and shutter are in fully.

The gimbal responds to the controller 100% I have pan, tilt, roll, shutter, the different lock position modes all working fine. It's only the video that isn't on my screen.

When the camera is turned on the LED on the front of the gimbal is flashing (but its both green and red) which like you said implies that its fetting signal from the camera

(when I press the playback button, the screen goes black and says tv connection play - or something on those lines, so I suppose its trying?)

ferdy55

hi
i have recently gotten a zenmuse gh4 gimbal and am controlling with a futaba t8j.
at the moment it is setup with pan and tilt on aileron and elevator channels with roll being controlled by rudder.
i am new to futaba and i am trying to switch the tilt to the throttle, and the roll to the vr knob
any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
jon

update: i just changed the servo cables from elevator to throttle. i now have tilt on throttle
i think assigning an aux to the rudder channel to switch roll to vr knob will be my next task.
any help?

Last edited by a moderator:

jimska

Sounds like my dealer is going to source the replacement board from Germany for me, as I got no response from filling the DJI support web form
Hi Timtim, I'm having a similar issue. Who was your dealer? Got mine from BYOD and they've not had this problem before so would be good to speak to somebody who knows what they're talking about and how I can get a board.

Timtim

Hi Timtim, I'm having a similar issue. Who was your dealer? Got mine from BYOD and they've not had this problem before so would be good to speak to somebody who knows what they're talking about and how I can get a board.
I hope you read the earlier part of this thread where I said we were only having problems in cold weather. First we had the whole gimbal replaced free, then when that didn't work either, we waited for the new HDMI board to be released, then fitted that ourselves to save time and sending the gimbal in. Dealer was Firstpersonview.co.uk, who handled it all fairly. Are you sure you were't sold an gimbal with the old HDMI board?

jimska

I hope you read the earlier part of this thread where I said we were only having problems in cold weather. First we had the whole gimbal replaced free, then when that didn't work either, we waited for the new HDMI board to be released, then fitted that ourselves to save time and sending the gimbal in. Dealer was Firstpersonview.co.uk, who handled it all fairly. Are you sure you were't sold an gimbal with the old HDMI board?
It was one of the first released, got it Sep 14, so must be the old board. I'll get my man to send me a lead first to see if it's that and if it's not the solution I'll ask him to replace the board, should still be covered under warranty. Have you got the latest firmware on your gimbal and camera? I'm wary of updating as I've read elsewhere of gimbals going crazy after flashing.

Timtim

It was one of the first released, got it Sep 14, so must be the old board. I'll get my man to send me a lead first to see if it's that and if it's not the solution I'll ask him to replace the board, should still be covered under warranty. Have you got the latest firmware on your gimbal and camera? I'm wary of updating as I've read elsewhere of gimbals going crazy after flashing.
I haven't updated, same fears as you, although horizon drift is a problem, so am tempted.

BogotaMatt

Big Kahuna @ AirLulo
I've updated just fine. Make sure your Z15 is plugged on CAN1 otherwise you'll get a failed update. And you don't want that.

RobertoMFS

Hi, someone update the GH-4 to the 2.3 firmware without issues in the Zenmuse?
I'm thinking to do, but I'm not sure.
Let me know
Regards
Rob.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD