What the H*** am I DOING here?!...

RonT

...OK, so I retired last year and thought multirotors would be lots 'o fun and I could wow the neighbors with some great aerial videos of them shaving their cat on their patio! How hard could it be.... hundreds of tube videos showing people no better looking than me effortlessly piloting their quads over quaint sunrise villages with multi-colored leds lighting the way to precise landings. Having no rc experience and being slightly smarter than mayonnaise, I realized I needed to start cheap & easy, so walked out of the local hobby shop with a Blade mqx under my arm and the shopkeepers mantra "...it flys itself!" ringing in my ears. Two weeks later, I'm just beginning to understand that left reallys means right when avoiding the neighbors roof, and learned that close range hovering at eye level in a breeze is not a good thing. So...I'm thinking most of you have been here before, and wondered how you progressed to where you are now? Any thoughts on simulators, or is is just as much flight time as possible? Any help would be appreciated! Gotta go... my wife is staring at me again with that 'how much is this going to cost' look on her face. RonT

kloner

Aerial DP
a sim is a great way to figure out orientation on a budget. At the end of the day, that's whats so had about em since your butt isn't in a seat looking forward.

I've been getting that look for 20 yeas, it never goes away, you just learn to ignore it like there voice

ChrisViperM

...OK, so I retired last year and thought multirotors would be lots 'o fun and I could wow the neighbors with some great aerial videos of them shaving their cat on their patio! How hard could it be.... hundreds of tube videos showing people no better looking than me effortlessly piloting their quads over quaint sunrise villages with multi-colored leds lighting the way to precise landings. Having no rc experience and being slightly smarter than mayonnaise, I realized I needed to start cheap & easy, so walked out of the local hobby shop with a Blade mqx under my arm and the shopkeepers mantra "...it flys itself!" ringing in my ears. Two weeks later, I'm just beginning to understand that left reallys means right when avoiding the neighbors roof, and learned that close range hovering at eye level in a breeze is not a good thing. So...I'm thinking most of you have been here before, and wondered how you progressed to where you are now? Any thoughts on simulators, or is is just as much flight time as possible? Any help would be appreciated! Gotta go... my wife is staring at me again with that 'how much is this going to cost' look on her face. RonT

Best post here for a long time.....I like your style

1) Won't be the last time your wife is staring at you...she will add some yelling later on....get a good crash helmet

2) Make sure you can lock your hobby room....and make it noise proof

3) You are just going through what we all went through....nothing special, just get prepaired to get grey hair, a weired expression in your eyes and a lot of fantasies of murdering everything connected to RC...

4) Getting a sim is a very good advice, but most of the time you will spend on the internet to figure out the basics, learning all the different terms.....and you will swear to God (at least 3x a day) to give up this damn hobby.....which you never will

5) Your Blade is not easy to break, and if it breaks, spares a cheap.....so keep on practising. What ever you try to do with your brain thoughts....it's too slow. Just practising makes it more and more subliminal...that will come from alone.

Other than that, welcome to this great forum.....can't wait to read more about your experiences

BTW: You are never too old to start this great hobby...

Chris

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Kloner, when's your birthday? I'm gonna buy you a new "r" key. :)

Welcome to the forum Ron. There's nothing but genies in bottles on here so let the questions fire away. IMO, a simulator is great for the initial getting the feel of things. The thing that will make you a better pilot is flying that MQX a lot. The fact that you have real world consequences is a much better trainer than the simulator.

Last edited by a moderator:

Can't wait to see the cat shaving vids!

Welcome aboard! You'll be glad to see that you finally found people as crazy as you are when it comes to flying RC MR.

Be prepared for the unavoidable question that you will likely get a couple times a week: ''With this thing, you can probably watch the cute lady next door neighbour sunbathing?'' - Wonder what kind of swimming suit she is wearing? To this just reply: ''Don't bother buying one, she is not waring anything when she sunbathes...'' The reaction is priceless!

It may however be a good idea to postponed this comment if your wife is around...

Happy landings!

Rodge

RonT

...Thanks for the support, guys; swelled with your fraternal welcome, I strode into yesterday's late afternoon sunshine, taped a keychain cam to the waiting mqx's belly, gently increased rpm and watched it steadily rise to treetop level... it seemed to be a bit more stable with the keycam on board, and I yawed left to get video of the fields and farms beyond my rooftop.

Since I'm waiting for my hobby shop to send the two motor booms I now need to replace, any suggestions as to your experience with brands of flight sims that I might look into?

kloner

Aerial DP
I've only ever used Phoenix, but it was a great tool. it has a quad or two, has onboard view so you can fpv and if you have an invidia video card, it has 3d. there is also eternal landscapes so you can just fly off and never come back......