Zero UAV UAV Zero Steadi470

johnno

Hi Socratic....Good video....Please keep them coming. There are going to be a lot of people who will thank you when they have finished their builds. I actually feel for them, because I know what I went through with my first build, and it had decent instruction with it. But, knowing the YS-X6 and how good it is, I think the end result will be good.

I am amazed that they never included a wiring harness. I thought when Johnno said it was missing, it was just his kit, but now it looks like either they have missed it or it is intentional, which I cannot believe.

What I would like to know is what the ESC's are rated at and whether they need programming or have they been pre-programmed. And what settings you put in the GCS.

Cheers
Rob

Hi Rob, The ESC's are 40amp Hobbywing Platinum Pro and as far as being pre programmed I dont know, see we are flying pretty blind on this one NO Documentation at all so it makes it hard to answer what may seem simple questions Socratic would agree with me on that anyway we will help each other and help from you guys we will just plough on.
Cheers,
Johnno.

Last edited by a moderator:

robone

Hi Rob, The ESC's are 40amp Hobbywing Platinum Pro and as far as being pre programmed I dont know, see we are flying pretty blind on this one NO Documentation at all so it makes it hard to answer what may seem simple questions Socratic would agree with me on that anyway we will help each other and help from you guys we will just plough on.
Cheers,
Johnno.

Hi Johnno....Thanks. I just got feedback from ZeroUAV that the wiring harness was not supposed to be included, however, they will be doing it from now on.

I will ask them about the ESC.

Rob

drjlsmit

Photogrammetrist
Hello everyone
I've got the basic assembly of my Stedi470 sorted out but have one question: are the landing gear fittings supplied extras (i.e. replacement parts) or must they be added onto the landing gear assembly as supplied?
Also, has anyone figured out how to connect the RC Rx and the Stedicam IMU? From the installation videos I've seen in YouTube it seems as though the StediCam IMU unit plugs into the AERP ports. If that's the case, then where does the RC Rx plug in?
Cheers
Julian

robone

Also, has anyone figured out how to connect the RC Rx and the Stedicam IMU? From the installation videos I've seen in YouTube it seems as though the StediCam IMU unit plugs into the AERP ports. If that's the case, then where does the RC Rx plug in?
Cheers
Julian

Hi Julian

I have sent you an email re the Rx connection and another user contact details with the same Tx/Rx. He should be able to guide you on that. The Rx anyway gets connected to the Main Controller C7. Suggest download the Quick Start Manual from my website.

I will send you a pdf file showing the way the IMU should be connected. Got it today.

Rob

Attachments

• ZERO Steadi470 Calibration Manual.pdf
    183 KB · Views: 495

socratic

Hello everyone
I've got the basic assembly of my Stedi470 sorted out but have one question: are the landing gear fittings supplied extras (i.e. replacement parts) or must they be added onto the landing gear assembly as supplied?
Cheers
Julian

Best I could tell, the gear brackets are reinforcements - I guess they might have had some issues with the standard preinstalled brackets breaking - in any case I installed them on my gear on top of the existing brackets. The bolts just fit. Haven't worked my way to the RX yet...... What did you do for a wiring harness?

drjlsmit

Photogrammetrist
Hi Socratic
I'm watching your videos with great interest as I have been 'guessing' my way through much of the installation.
As for the wiring harness, I've not solved that yet, but am looking at running a power lead along both sides of the air frame and supplying each motor independently using a set of XT-60 connectors. Once I've actually got something in place I will post some images.
Julian

johnno

Hi Johnno....Thanks. I just got feedback from ZeroUAV that the wiring harness was not supposed to be included, however, they will be doing it from now on.

I will ask them about the ESC.

Rob
Hi Rob,
What Wiring harness are you referring to the 6 inch cable Pair with XT60 connectors on each end and two other pairs of very thin cable going to a rx plug and another to a Plug I never seen before but it plugs into the WiFi unit hardley a harness,
Johnno.

robone

Hi Rob,
What Wiring harness are you referring to the 6 inch cable Pair with XT60 connectors on each end and two other pairs of very thin cable going to a rx plug and another to a Plug I never seen before but it plugs into the WiFi unit hardley a harness,
Johnno.

No that cab;e is the standard cable that comes with the YS-X6. I was referring to a wiring harness to connect the ESC's to the Battery, or to one of the XT60 connectors. This they should have supplied, but in discussion with them it became clear that they did not because each individual has different ways for connecting the ESC to the battery. But they said they would include it from now on.
Rob

johnno

Talking of harnesses has anyone takled the Battery conection area and bringing cables to the centre so that they dont restrick the movement of the vertical arm pictures please and where do the 2 servo plugs go into the rx or the back of the fc ext1 and ext 2
Johnno.

socratic

Talking of harnesses has anyone takled the Battery conection area and bringing cables to the centre so that they dont restrick the movement of the vertical arm pictures please and where do the 2 servo plugs go into the rx or the back of the fc ext1 and ext 2
Johnno.

Interesting you mention this. Originally, I had thought this camera mount was more like a Merlin, Steadicam or Flycam or something more like that. It is really not much like them at all. About the only similarity is that it has a pivot point and uses the battery to help balance the camera (which some stabilizers do like Varizoom). Other than that, it is relying more on the gyros and servos to keep the camera aligned vertically. I haven't finished setting up the gimbal with electronics yet, so I am not sure how much the springs really come into play, but I think they are primarily more of a shockabsorber to cut down on apparent servo movements. In any case, in answer to your question, I don't think it will make all that much difference if there is a little drag due to the power cable since the servos are keeping the gimbal vertical and it isn't really balanced like traditional steadicams. At one time, I had considered mounting and customizing a mini stabilizer on a quad (found some mini hague thing) but it was made so crappy that I didn't bother to go through the hassle. Went with this instead. Possible that balance is more important than I anticipate and the cable could pose some issues.......I will let you know what I end up doing when I get there. Jim

johnno

Interesting you mention this. Originally, I had thought this camera mount was more like a Merlin, Steadicam or Flycam or something more like that. It is really not much like them at all. About the only similarity is that it has a pivot point and uses the battery to help balance the camera (which some stabilizers do like Varizoom). Other than that, it is relying more on the gyros and servos to keep the camera aligned vertically. I haven't finished setting up the gimbal with electronics yet, so I am not sure how much the springs really come into play, but I think they are primarily more of a shockabsorber to cut down on apparent servo movements. In any case, in answer to your question, I don't think it will make all that much difference if there is a little drag due to the power cable since the servos are keeping the gimbal vertical and it isn't really balanced like traditional steadicams. At one time, I had considered mounting and customizing a mini stabilizer on a quad (found some mini hague thing) but it was made so crappy that I didn't bother to go through the hassle. Went with this instead. Possible that balance is more important than I anticipate and the cable could pose some issues.......I will let you know what I end up doing when I get there. Jim

Hi Jim, I was also worried about the extra drag on the servos but anyway we will see what happens, he is some pics of my attempt sofar,
View attachment 7513
View attachment 7518View attachment 7517View attachment 7516View attachment 7515View attachment 7514

I would appreciate any comments or things you would like to change.
Cheers, Johnno.

Attachments

• IMG_1162red.jpg
    IMG_1162red.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_1163red.jpg
    IMG_1163red.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_1164red.jpg
    IMG_1164red.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_1166red.jpg
    IMG_1166red.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_1167red.jpg
    IMG_1167red.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_1168red.jpg
    IMG_1168red.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 324

socratic

Hi Johnno,

Nice clean installation of everything! I had to order some wire and connectors. As soon as they get here, I will wire everything up and see how well the gimbal works with camera and battery mounted. I should know if there is any binding or drag on the battery wire and how it might effect the gimbal. And thanks for the pictures. Very helpful. Jim

Sonic

Hello guys!

My first post here ever. Just wanted to add that I'm also putting a Zero-stead470 together at the moment. Great great help reading your experiences as there is so little reference. Will share my discoveries too. Just wore down some of the plastic as I added the re-inforcement for the landing gear so far.

johnno

Hello guys!

My first post here ever. Just wanted to add that I'm also putting a Zero-stead470 together at the moment. Great great help reading your experiences as there is so little reference. Will share my discoveries too. Just wore down some of the plastic as I added the re-inforcement for the landing gear so far.

I must been Lucky because the reinforcement pieces were all assembled, Welcome to the group Sonic if you have a look at the Vids back further they kinda help but you have a lot to do on your own which is a shame still I like a Challenge.
Cheers Im sure we will converse again,
Johnno.

johnno

Futaba R6208SB Receiver

Does anyone know If you use the Futaba R6208SB RX with the YS-X6 and you use the SBus Connection does the YS-X6 supply power to the RX or do you have to power the RX through the Batt connector?
Cheers,
Johnno.:livid:

drjlsmit

Photogrammetrist
Hi Johnno
I'd like to know the same thing, so if you find out, please post the response.
Thanks,
Julian

robone

Does anyone know If you use the Futaba R6208SB RX with the YS-X6 and you use the SBus Connection does the YS-X6 supply power to the RX or do you have to power the RX through the Batt connector?
Cheers,
Johnno.:livid:

Hi Johnno
I'd like to know the same thing, so if you find out, please post the response.
Thanks,
Julian

Hi Johnno and Julian

The SBus connection consists of one cable which has 3 wires, a pos, a neg and a signal wire, so power is still provided by the Main Controller. Don't even think of taking power directly off the battery, as the voltages are different and you will blow your Rx

Rob

johnno

Hi Johnno and Julian

The SBus connection consists of one cable which has 3 wires, a pos, a neg and a signal wire, so power is still provided by the Main Controller. Don't even think of taking power directly off the battery, as the voltages are different and you will blow your Rx

Rob

Hi Rob,I wasnt thinking taking power from the battery but taking it from the YS but then what you are saying is that the only connection between the Futaba SBus RX and the YS-X6 is 1 x servo lead is that right? one other thing that comes to mind I have seen the SBus Video and they have this model full of servos being fed from the SBus they must be inserting battery supply somewhere because your putting a hell of a load powering all those servos on 1 Connector.
Johnno.

robone

Hi Rob,I wasnt thinking taking power from the battery but taking it from the YS but then what you are saying is that the only connection between the Futaba SBus RX and the YS-X6 is 1 x servo lead is that right? one other thing that comes to mind I have seen the SBus Video and they have this model full of servos being fed from the SBus they must be inserting battery supply somewhere because your putting a hell of a load powering all those servos on 1 Connector.
Johnno.

Yes. One lead. I don't know about that, but in this instance the Rx is not controlling any servos