Team BlackSheep arrested in Italy.

Aye, I saw this, and thought "ooh boys, you're really flying close to the wind on this one".

I suspect the problems will come because they landed on private property, twice. And one was a helipad, which the Italian FAA will be having hysterics over.

I suspect if they had not touched down, the case against them would have been a lot harder.

Still...some skills. Personally, I would have been wetting myself over battery range - that looked a long flight!

Electro 2

Was this after they were clipped in San Fran for the GG bridge thing ? These guys could easily, single handedly, light the fuse for the downfall of the entire MR scene. Not good.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
It was only going to be a matter of time. Amazing thought there stuff is this was always on the cards.. The CAA just missed nabbing um for the London debacle. Now the Italians have got them but I just wonder how far they will take it.

Dave

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
They seem to think they are above the law - in comments they noted that they were aware that it was illegal to photograph/film the wreck, yet they did it anyway. They can use any excuse they like but at the end of the day they are doing it to sell more product and make more money. In the meantime it gives politicians fuel to ban the hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:

dazzab

In some countries you can not only be arrested for filming but for expressing your opinion. Exactly why would this area be restricted?

Not a big surprise...especially as I understand its not the first time. I agree with Hartz and Electro, if they keep this crap up we will all pay the price for it.

They do us no favours. Here's hoping the Italian legal system lives up to their reputation.

...sT

Last edited by a moderator:

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
In some countries you can not only be arrested for filming but for expressing your opinion. Exactly why would this area be restricted?

In Dubai you can get arrested for drinking alcohol or holding hands in public, so you simply don't do it. Regardless of what the reasons are for the ban, TBS should be respecting the laws of the country they are flying in.

As for the ban itself, at a guess I would say that it is in place to stop people interfering. It's a delicate salvage operation, the last thing you need is a bunch of tourists trying to get in the way.

Dewster

TBS' videos combine technology, interesting locales, skillful piloting and great editing. It's what makes their videos fun to watch. The skill displayed is also pretty impressive, especially for FPV flight. I'm sure they're on several watch lists in many countries for security concerns.

True...all it takes is one hot zone to pour fuel on the fire. I guess the trouble with this site may have been that it was a no fly zone (like every major incident that happens in the US). It could be closed to the public for their investigation etc. So flying their craft and touching down could be technically considered entering a crime scene. I'm sure they'll pay a fine or talk their way out of that....maybe.

I say good on them, I'm sick of hearing this hysterical c**p about them not doing the hobby any favours. No matter what any of you wuses carry on about the Governments of countries are going to legislate anyway regardless of what anyone does or does not do. Do not live in a fools paradise and think that you are free (even in the land of the free), none of us are totally free no matter where we live. As time goes by more and more legislation is passed to slowly erode our freedom. My two cents worth.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
So are they out on bail or what? Obviously they're free to post on Youtube, so they aren't currently in jail...

nicwilke

I say good on them, I'm sick of hearing this hysterical c**p about them not doing the hobby any favours. No matter what any of you wuses carry on about the Governments of countries are going to legislate anyway regardless of what anyone does or does not do. Do not live in a fools paradise and think that you are free (even in the land of the free), none of us are totally free no matter where we live. As time goes by more and more legislation is passed to slowly erode our freedom. My two cents worth.

There's laws for a reason, it's got nothing to do with being a wuss. They are doing this as advertising for commercial gain. By pushing the boundaries, and breaking laws, they will inspire idiots ad dangerous people like the Boston bombers to start using this technology. I'm all for locking this industry up with legislation and strict rules as airspace is now shared with fools and aviators.

dazzab

There's laws for a reason, it's got nothing to do with being a wuss. They are doing this as advertising for commercial gain. By pushing the boundaries, and breaking laws, they will inspire idiots ad dangerous people like the Boston bombers to start using this technology. I'm all for locking this industry up with legislation and strict rules as airspace is now shared with fools and aviators.
That's a fair amount of speculation there. We don't know what TBS's motivation is. I'm not sure what illegal activity they have done before. Everything I've seen certainly goes beyond what I would consider safe but most of the video appears legal. They certainly are pushing boundaries and they may pay for that. In the meantime I'm really enjoying what they film. As for the ship, big deal. Google and others probably have lots of photos of it as well.

nicwilke

That's a fair amount of speculation there. We don't know what TBS's motivation is. I'm not sure what illegal activity they have done before. Everything I've seen certainly goes beyond what I would consider safe but most of the video appears legal. They certainly are pushing boundaries and they may pay for that. In the meantime I'm really enjoying what they film. As for the ship, big deal. Google and others probably have lots of photos of it as well.

Well, I respectfully disagree with you, and speculation or not, I believe that everything they do is unsafe. The smoke and whistles behind editing would easily hide the times things go wrong. People like them, and obviously yourself are fast tracking the industry towards global banning. I can only add to this discussion the experience I have with failure caused by anomalies in electronics, software and hardware, and I have never trusted my crafts enough to fly above people or crime scenes such as the Costa Concordia. I use the best flight controllers I can source, props and ESC's, I plan every flight, and sometimes things go wrong. I had approximately 150 trouble free flights up my sleeve, and on Saturday, during the solar storm, a flyoff. I managed to ditch my craft in a wisteria vine with no damage, but at least it was not a crowd of people.

I do think what they do is cool, and I'm hypocritically subscribed to thier youtube channel, but it breeds a false sense of belief that what they do is reliable and safe. It's not.
Anyone planning to go commercial use with this gear should have a plan B as the current attitude of many is going to get us all stitched up.

DazzaB, good luck with the hobby, it's going to kill the industry.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast

So I am all for freedom of speech. But freedom of airspace is another matter. ALL of their videos as far as I can see break international / local aviation laws. Flying round central London WTF! Now we have total bans in London restricting legitimate companies from operating with out first presenting safety cases for the shoot which will take a minimum of 21 days to process.Yes they are highly skilled but I agree with nick, commercially motivated.

Landing on the hele deck was totally irresponsible. they might as well try land on the White house lawn... ahh now that an idea TBS.. go do that then we will be rid of you. At least we will all know where to send post cards.. GTB!

jamienz

Thats a scary thought (reference to the boston bombers). IF that sort of thing ever were to happen it would be a disaster for this hobby/industry

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I have thought about that since watching a scale MIG jet do 200 od MPH over the local club flight line. With all the long range TX equipment and Video/waypoint capability there is potential for a 30/40 mile strike
range.. bloody scary really but guess HLS and the like have all that covered... dont they!

nicwilke

Thats a scary thought (reference to the boston bombers). IF that sort of thing ever were to happen it would be a disaster for this hobby/industry

Drones are used by governments to kill, I don't see how civilians won't uses drones for terrorism. TBS is simply exposing the industry in its infancy and creating unwanted attention to this industry before anyone is ready. Even in Australia, rules are being reviewed and changed by governing authorities to get the technology to more people with a sensible airspace plan. I believe that all remotely piloted crafts need registration of some sort. The dangers are just too high with this stuff.

Efliernz

Pete
For some flying areas, it is simply a safety concern. Throw in a bit of "social concience" too...

I was contacted by my local paper last week and asked if I would fly a gopro at 20-50' over the local Agricultural Fieldays Event (the largest of its kind in the southern hemispere). They wanted a pass over the middle of the outdoor exhibition area with 200,000 people underneath.

The site is 1.5Km from an airport so there is that side that makes it illegal to start with (altho I would need to just clear it with them)- add the helicopters doing joy-rides from the edge of the exhibition area... I simply said that it would look absolutely brilliant, I could fly my DW hexa fpv for a 500 meter continuous pass but liabilty and safety wise, it was absolutel madness to fly over a crowd like that.

He asked if I was concerned about my machine crashing. I said that during normal flying (not new firware shake-down flights) I had not had a malfunction - but it is full of electronics. How often has his Canon 1DX DSLR suddenly come up with a error code mid shooting. He says "only once". I said that that I didn't want my "only once" event to be over 200,000 people! He nodded and thank me for showing concern and having a concience... and he will contact me again if the situation is more suitable. I'm happy with that.

Pete