XAircraft SuperX

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
All you need to do is get another set of 10 gauge wires to the pdb. I think all those extra connectors and wire, plus the Y is contributing to your voltage sag. Make sure they are short as possible without creating any strain on the wires.

+1. The simplest solution and the straightest line is usually the best :)

SamaraMedia

Agreed. Here's some photos from a build log on fpvmodel to give you an idea of the PDB, esc cables and battery wires coming from the PDB. I don't think there is anyway to add another set of wires so my last resort would be to run one large battery directly off the power wires provided.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 9.31.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 9.31.14 PM.png
    308.4 KB · Views: 377
  • Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 9.31.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 9.31.26 PM.png
    310.2 KB · Views: 376
  • Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 9.31.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 9.31.34 PM.png
    320.7 KB · Views: 387
  • Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 9.31.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 9.31.53 PM.png
    335.7 KB · Views: 395
  • Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 9.32.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 9.32.00 PM.png
    348.5 KB · Views: 389

SamaraMedia

Yup, after building and working on this rig I really don't think it's designed for heavy duty usage, imo. Nice and intergrated design but very limited in being able to modify, I should have looked deeper into the owners manual to see what the guts were like. It is simple to work on in some regard but limiting in others.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
When I built the 680Pro I felt the same way. Some things seemed very well thought out and helpful, others seemed to be short-sighted designs.

Many people run the Y harness for dual batteries, so you may be fine if you make sure the AWG doesn't cause too much of a bottleneck. Or just run the larger battery.

Maybe we should start a new thread on these frames, for those thinking of buying one. I know @jfro has one and had some opinions on it as well.

SamaraMedia

On the GPS issue, maybe it's the unit itself because looking back at older logs before I moved the batteries to the top deck the graphs were whacked too. These are from 8.5.15

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-22 at 8.37.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-22 at 8.37.25 AM.png
    158.3 KB · Views: 299
  • Screen Shot 2015-08-22 at 8.37.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-22 at 8.37.40 AM.png
    173.4 KB · Views: 265

jfro

Aerial Fun
Yup, after building and working on this rig I really don't think it's designed for heavy duty usage, imo. Ni5's ace and intergrated design but very limited in being able to modify, I should have looked deeper into the owners manual to see what the guts were like. It is simple to work on in some regard but limiting in others.

I took my Tarot X6 apart this week and am going to sell the x6 frame kit. I had KDE 3520's on it and tried 3 different FC's. Some footage from my proven CP gimbal on DYS eagle eye with gh3 and gh4 was ok, but occasionally, it wanted to vibrate just a bit. Worked on the mounting a bit which helped, but all in all, I didn't like the way it flew, (my first hex) compared to my x8 and quads.

I agree that it's not built for heavy loads and part of the problem IMO, my stem from the gigantic center plates. Way to big IMO. They need it to get their retracts out. On the other hand, it was easy/ nice to work on with the connections for the power and esc's right near the folding mechanisms.

I'd be suspect of long term usage of the folding arms, but don't really know. I did ruin one of the plastic locking handles. That said, the folding arms are one of the things I liked about it, just don't think the convenience
is worth the lesser handling compared to my x8.

I'm going to buy two more KDE 3520's and build a 2nd x8. Then compare it to my other with Avroto 3515's. Depending on flight times and handling, I will sell one off as a working aerial drone as I have a couple gimbals that work great with my cameras.

Go4d

Hello Guys,
I wanted an advise on what ESC to use with KDE motors and SuperX,... what ESC other than KDE ESC's are recommended for this combination?

I have read on this discussion that there has been know issues with KDE ESC's and SuperX, and some people were using T-motor… I have been doing some trials using SuperX, KDE motors and KDE ESC's and I have not been able to get it tuned, at this point I suspect that the problem might be a sync issue with ESC's.
Thanks

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I can't help with ESCs other than KDE with the KDE motors - but I've been running a full KDE power system and it works.

Occasionally there is some flakiness during initial power up - with some motors not recognizing the system, and I need to power cycle which fixes it. Not ideal - but this is a SuperX issue, not KDE. It has happened to me with other brands of ESC as well.

fltundra

I can't help with ESCs other than KDE with the KDE motors - but I've been running a full KDE power system and it works.

Occasionally there is some flakiness during initial power up - with some motors not recognizing the system, and I need to power cycle which fixes it. Not ideal - but this is a SuperX issue, not KDE. It has happened to me with other brands of ESC as well.
That's why I only use Castle. No sync issues whatsoever with the KDE's. All motors always start up at the same time. :) It's like they were made for the SuperX. Biggest grip with other esc brands....Castle actually answers the phone anytime you have a question.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
To clarify, it's not a matter of sync start-up, but basic recognition on power up. The issue has exhibited as follows: power system with battery, some motors are ready, A couple motors beep (and sometimes twitch a bit). Recycle power. Once you recycle the power (sometimes more than once), and when all are recognized correctly, the motors spin up exact as they should.

This has happened with every OPTO ESC I've tried (regardless of whether they are "true" OPTO) so far. It happened least with a set of ZTW spider ESCs. The identical rig showed no issue whatsoever with a Naza V2 or multiwii.

This is a known issue documented by several users here and elsewhere. Frustrating because Xaircraft never acknowledged it. Seems related to the output signal the SuperX provides to tell the ESC it's 'ready to go.'

While disconcerting at first, the workaround is not bad. Couple seconds to recycle power is ok by me, to have use of the SuperX instead of a Naza. :)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
You get used to it. But there's no question it's annoying - especially since you never notice what;s happening until you walk 20 feet away to takeoff, and have to do the whole dance all over again :)

Like I said, there is a quick fix if you want to run OPTO escs....but unfortunately it's called a Naza

SamaraMedia

I'm running KDE 4012's with KDE 55 amp's. Recently purchased the KDEXF-DMA Device Manager Adapter for XF UAS Electronic Speed Controller (ESC) Series and upgraded the firmware in all esc's since I wasn't confident all mine were in sync either. I purchased the esc's used and didn't know if there was an issue or not so running the upgrade made feel each was up to date and set the same (default settings). My Tarot X6 is flying pretty good now, not attributing it all to the upgrade since I've done some more gain tuning and motor alliagnment which seems to have found a stable setting.

As far as the problem Motopreserve speaks of, I too get one motor that occasionally beeps after initial power up but a quick power cycle, usually one time cures it, and arming is not a problem after that.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I still haven't updated the ESCs yet - but I have the little device to do so. Plan n getting to that, right after..... Too many things! :)

fltundra

I'm running KDE 4012's with KDE 55 amp's. Recently purchased the KDEXF-DMA Device Manager Adapter for XF UAS Electronic Speed Controller (ESC) Series and upgraded the firmware in all esc's since I wasn't confident all mine were in sync either. I purchased the esc's used and didn't know if there was an issue or not so running the upgrade made feel each was up to date and set the same (default settings). My Tarot X6 is flying pretty good now, not attributing it all to the upgrade since I've done some more gain tuning and motor alliagnment which seems to have found a stable setting.

As far as the problem Motopreserve speaks of, I too get one motor that occasionally beeps after initial power up but a quick power cycle, usually one time cures it, and arming is not a problem after that.
Does the kde interface allow you to change timing, startup level, reverse, and other settings?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It does offer some settings access.

The new KDE Direct Device Manager Adapter provides the ability to update all KDE Direct XF UAS Electronic Speed Controllers (ESCs) to the latest production firmware releases, and customize advanced options for multiple applications. A wide-range of new control-algorithm technologies can be programmed, such as the brushless motor startup power, drive frequency, synchronous rectification, regenerative-braking and temperature control, voltage cutoffs, and others market-leading features.