XAircraft Super X on TBS Discovery

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Last night I replaced the Naza V1 on my favorite Discovery FPV quad with a Super X basic. My original intent was to fly the X on a Droidworx VM4 frame I have but with the way things are going at work right now I have no time to do a complete build until early to mid November at the soonest. Since I really wanted to see how the Super X flys I figured the easiest route was to simply swap out something of a similar size on a frame that was already flying. The IMU is pretty close to Naza dimensionally what I didn't account for was the I/O block which wound up on the top deck of the Disco...

First impressions, the Super X is quite a departure from the usual DJI way of doing things. One of the more interesting ideas is the fact you don't need to load any software on your computer, it's all contained in the X, just plug in the USB connections and it shows up on the computer just as a USB memory stick would. From there click on the Super X icon and you get the configuration screen which is by far much simpler than anything else I've seen so far for flight controller setup programs. There really isn't much in there you need to change, and in fact most of what you need to do is calibrations that are done via TX and do not require any connection to a computer.

With everything connected and calibrations complete it was time to see how the X handled the asymmetrical Discovery frame. I've had most of the major flight controller systems on one of the three Discovery frames I own at one time or another and I've found that some deal with the uneven motor layout better than others, took me several tries before I got a Multiwii board to fly one without serious glitches. Right out of the box with no adjustment to any of the settings the Super X flew the Discovery without any drama or serious glitches, first flight was pretty uneventful which is the way I like maiden flights to go. The fact that this particular frame has many 10s of hours of FPV flight time on it already with the Naza controller certainly helped although you can never be sure how it will go with a completely new flight controller system you've never used before. It was obvious that while it flew well the parameter settings were going to need some changes, the TX adjustable attitude gain had to be dialed down quite a bit to dampen visible and audible oscillations in FF resulting in a very soft feel on the controls and poor return to center in attitude mode. Still it handled the frame extremely well, much better than the first flight of a few other controllers I've tried on a Discovery.

A couple rounds of trying different settings got me pretty close to the point of having the Disco flying just the same as it did before the swap, one of the easiest setups I've ever done with a completely new flight controller system. Originally when I did the swap over the plan was that it be temporary until I have time to build up the VM4 frame, now that I've run a few packs through the setup I'm thinking I may leave it as is for a while, I want to get some real FPV flight time with it to see how it all compares to what I'm used to when I fly this frame.

I can say with absolute the certainty the position hold and RTH will go toe to toe with anything else currently on the market. The RTH in particular is amazingly accurate, even more so than a Naza or Wookong-m, so far each time I've tried it the landing has been within a foot or two of the takeoff point and the landing picture perfect each time. I was a little worried the first time seeing how quickly it was descending, my finger hovering over the switch to kill the RTH and go back to manual control all the way down but it proved to be a non-issue as it slowed gently and touched down in a flawless landing that I'd have a hard time pulling off manually after a fast descent like that.

Not a whole lot of flight time so far but I'm hoping to get to a field with it this weekend for a couple packs behind the goggles to see how it stacks up as an FPV flight controller.

Ken

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Well, even though they are still Chinese, it's nice to see them make a come back. they really dug themselves a hole. thanks for the review. maybe when I jump back in this hobby in a few years Ill give them a go.

Fit101

I've had similar results with the SuperX on my Tarot 960. Pretty much did no tuning out of the box...left the gains at the stock settings and made a minor adjustment to the radio sub-gain. Position hold and RTH is as you described. I pulled off a RTH from 1160ft up and watched it land within a couple feet from its liftoff mark. Crazy accurate.

ChrisViperM

Hi Ken

Great post and a very good review.....

Thats exactly the stuff I wanted to hear......looks like DJI is heading into some seriously rough waters with their ongoing release of unfinished products. All we want is a flight controller which can give you at least some sort of confidence, and it looks like the Super X can provide just that....

....and it looks damn cool on top of it. Doesn't have to hide behind the DJI A2.....

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

rilot

The more I read about he SuperX the more I like it.
This is what DJI needs to get their act together, a serious competitor.

rwilabee

I sure like my SuperX controllers. It is amazing the accuracy of the Auto Land feature, especially since you don't have to put in the measurements of your GPS like you do with DJI. In fact you don't have to put any measurements for the controller in the software either.

Rich

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
The Super X is sort of half way between a DJI Naza and Wookong-M in terms of size and components, functionally it's very much at the Naza end of the DJI scale at least for now. One thing I like is the ability to just plug the IO block into battery power and it does the voltage regulation for everything else. A word of caution there, the telemetry I receive back from the onboard RX to the TX is telling me the RX is seeing 7.1 volts from the Super X on a fresh 4S pack and I know the reading to be accurate from having done measurements when I first started using the telemetry. If you have a voltage sensitive receiver you may want to consider using a separate BEC to power it at a regulated 5 volts to avoid any problems or at the very least make sure that any gear that is deriving power from the Super X is able to withstand more than the usual 5 to 6 volts if you're running higher voltage batteries like 4 or 5S.

Ken

P.S. if any Super X owners would like to have a GPS holder like the one on my Discovery, let me know. I can make them in virtually any height from flat on the deck to 8 inches tall if necessary, cost is $10 to $15 US depending on color and size.

Last edited by a moderator:

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I have my 3rd SuperX coming to me today. I love it. Your report reflects everything I have found as well. Solid unit.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
From the video it sounds like a good warning to those new to the XA RTH is that it doesnt establish home by where you plug in the battery but where it has the strongest satellite signal! So be careful and aware that you better make sure you have a good sat lock before taking off.

Also, I only see 1 gimbal out. How does the FC control roll then?

rwilabee

I don't have the manual with me but if I remember correctly as long as you run a quad or hex that M7 & M8 control roll and pitch on a gimbal.

From the video it sounds like a good warning to those new to the XA RTH is that it doesnt establish home by where you plug in the battery but where it has the strongest satellite signal! So be careful and aware that you better make sure you have a good sat lock before taking off.

rwilabee

The other thing I really like is the Black Box function. I really tells the story when you upload to XAircraft web site and view your data and reports. If something happens XAircraft will also read your black box data and tell you what they think may have happened. I had a question for their tech support and had an answer the next day. I have sent questions to DJI and have never heard back.

rwilabee

I checked the voltage to the receiver via Telemetry on my Futaba 14SG and it is showing 5.5 volts. I then checked the voltage with my Fluke Voltmeter right out of the I/O on the X port where I am running SBus and it is showing 5.7. Then I checked the voltage with the volt meter on the A port and it is the same 5.7 volts. Nothing as high as 7.1 volts and I tried it using a fresh 4S 10,000 mah pack.

Rich

The Super X is sort of half way between a DJI Naza and Wookong-M in terms of size and components, functionally it's very much at the Naza end of the DJI scale at least for now. One thing I like is the ability to just plug the IO block into battery power and it does the voltage regulation for everything else. A word of caution there, the telemetry I receive back from the onboard RX to the TX is telling me the RX is seeing 7.1 volts from the Super X on a fresh 4S pack and I know the reading to be accurate from having done measurements when I first started using the telemetry. If you have a voltage sensitive receiver you may want to consider using a separate BEC to power it at a regulated 5 volts to avoid any problems or at the very least make sure that any gear that is deriving power from the Super X is able to withstand more than the usual 5 to 6 volts if you're running higher voltage batteries like 4 or 5S.

Ken

P.S. if any Super X owners would like to have a GPS holder like the one on my Discovery, let me know. I can make them in virtually any height from flat on the deck to 8 inches tall if necessary, cost is $10 to $15 US depending on color and size.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com

From my understanding (and from what i have experienced) is if you let your rig find satellite signal (ie. gets 2 green lights in GPS mode) before you take off, you can move the rig, and "home" is defined as the place you started the props. I have locked SAT in one area, walked 50 feet and started the motors and flew, and hit RTH, and the unit came back to where I started the props.

If you are quick to take off before allowing the unit to get a SAT link, then YES, i believe the first place the unit see's satellites is HOME.
Personally I think it would be stupid to take off without a SAT connection if you planned to use the GPS mode or RTH.

rwilabee

I agree with SleepC as far as the way your RTH spot is determined.

Rich

From my understanding (and from what i have experienced) is if you let your rig find satellite signal (ie. gets 2 green lights in GPS mode) before you take off, you can move the rig, and "home" is defined as the place you started the props. I have locked SAT in one area, walked 50 feet and started the motors and flew, and hit RTH, and the unit came back to where I started the props.

If you are quick to take off before allowing the unit to get a SAT link, then YES, i believe the first place the unit see's satellites is HOME.
Personally I think it would be stupid to take off without a SAT connection if you planned to use the GPS mode or RTH.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I have a 12 lb x8 on Hoverfly PRo and quad on Naza v2 w/ gps and small GoPro/glimbal. I am starting to like the quad's flying in att mode and gps mode for video and photography. Looking for something more than manual in the HFP. ON the octo's does anyone have an opinion on the smoothness of flight as well as reliability?

Till 1 week ago, I'd never heard of XAircraft. Now they seem to be getting lots of forum and internet attention. Is it real or is it good marketing? Is it just another Chinese product without support?

If it's between the Naza and Wookong, how does that fit against a manual flying HFP?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I have a HFP and the SuperX kills it. It has the same smoothness but the Alt hold and GPS actually work.
The SuperX just came out 3 + weeks ago hence why you are just hearing about it,

I HATE how the DJI flys, HATe it, as a RC airplane pilot for over 20 years the DJI feels like a video game, where the SuperX feels like your flying something.
I now have 3 SuperX's and may get 1 more... I am sold.