Picloc 3x setting experience etc.

EricH

What goes up...
Without Picloc the videos I can do with my copter are actually quite useable! I was pretty impressed when flying last week without any stabilization on the camera gimbal. If you watch the video you might see what the Picloc would have to do on my copter when flying: not much! With Picloc I got tilting horizon, jittering servos, generally very unsatisfying behavior.

Video is in parts slightly stabilized to counteract some control inputs (which of course translate directly to the mount and camera), some parts are completely unstabilized.

So for now I will keep waiting until someone puts something on the market that is actually able to deliver what it promises.

As mentioned by others, PL works great w/ the right hardware and settings. Jittering is due to too much D gain( acceleration) or inadequate servos.
Perhaps if you could specify what servos you are using, we could point you in the right direction.
Vibrations will also cause many problems. This is resolved by changing the type of tape or foam you mount PL on. My current favourite is the Dubro 1/4' foam rubber ref 513. This works great on my large petrol heli. You will have to experiment at bit to find the right combination for a multi rotor.

E

Last edited by a moderator:

Highviz

As mentioned by others, PL works great w/ the right hardware and settings. Jittering is due to too much D gain( acceleration) or inadequate servos.
Perhaps if you could specify what servos you are using, we could point you in the right direction.
Vibrations will also cause many problems. This is resolved by changing the type of tape or foam you mount PL on. My current favourite is the Dubro 1/4' foam rubber ref 513. This works great on my large petrol heli. You will have to experiment at bit to find the right combination for a multi rotor.
E
Alex's issues seem to be exactly the same as I have been struggling with over the last week. My mount is an AV200 style, with 360 deg pan, and roll and tilt using feedback pots.
I can get it to stabilise nicely on the ground -using a spirit level to make sure it is staying centred in roll and tilt. I have very smooth manual control of pan,tilt and roll, and cannot see any vibes or shakes on HD footage when flown with stabilisation turned off. However once stab is on I get a small jitter on tilt and pan and the roll axis is not doing a very good job of keeping a level horizon. Sometimes it seems to overcompensate and other times under compensate. In stabilise mode the pan also appears to have a lower resolution when you drive it from the sticks. ie it is slightly steppy in action. I don't see this in manual mode or even if I connect direct to a receiver and use -ve expo to give a very soft start and slow pan.

So far, I have tried replacing the servos with higher speed ones (HS5565 hitecs), running these at various voltages up to 8v, using different gear ratios, running zero acceleration on pan and tilt (and most settings up from that!), reducing the proportional gains until it hardly stabilises, tried different values of accelerometer correction influence and have been through the mechanical setup multiple times to make sure there is free movement with no backlash. I have made some small improvements to the results, but still not acceptable in my view.

Today I took the 3X off the mount, fitted a cheap KK board with camera stabilisation code on it and got the best footage in over a week of continuous tests ! Frustrating does not come close to describing it!

If there is a sweet spot to be found on the 3X, it has eluded me so far. I would be very interested to hear what makes of servos and gear ratios are being used with success.

Malcolm

GeorgeM

Hi Malcolm.

Please do this to rule out any hardware issues with your Picloc.

1)Disconnect everything from Picloc, and remove it from your mount.
2)Put Picloc on a flat table , front panel facing ceiling.
3)Connect USB, and after started, perform a GYRO + Accelerometer calibration. ( GYRO X,Y,Z should be zero-ish, and ACCelerometer values should be X=0,Y=0, Z=256 ( ish ) )
4) Open the Artificial Horizon ( Options tab )
5) Now....
6) Rotate Picloc flat on your table, keeping the Picloc firmly on the table. You can rotate very slowly, or even about 180 degrees in 2 seconds ish...
7) If you observe that the Horizon+Tilt on your Artificial horizon is wobbling, then there is something wrong with the Gyro/Accelerometer.
8) If this is the case, then contact me to get it sorted ASAP.

gm./

Highviz

Hi Malcolm.

Please do this to rule out any hardware issues with your Picloc.

1)Disconnect everything from Picloc, and remove it from your mount.
2)Put Picloc on a flat table , front panel facing ceiling.
3)Connect USB, and after started, perform a GYRO + Accelerometer calibration. ( GYRO X,Y,Z should be zero-ish, and ACCelerometer values should be X=0,Y=0, Z=256 ( ish ) )
4) Open the Artificial Horizon ( Options tab )
5) Now....
6) Rotate Picloc flat on your table, keeping the Picloc firmly on the table. You can rotate very slowly, or even about 180 degrees in 2 seconds ish...
7) If you observe that the Horizon+Tilt on your Artificial horizon is wobbling, then there is something wrong with the Gyro/Accelerometer.
8) If this is the case, then contact me to get it sorted ASAP.

gm./

Hi George,

Have done that and it seems pretty good. gyros are zero, X/ Y accel are showing zero to -3 and Z is 265-268. Artificial horizon is steady as I slowly rotate the Picloc.

- Any other ideas?

Cheers,

Malcolm

GeorgeM

Hmmm.....

Strange !!!

Perhaps we can do a skype..... But let me finish the new firmware... I'll be uploading it over tomorrow to beta testers who emailed privately to get it and experiment and let me know of improvements to adapt.
So far.. I am pretty confident with it.
It is based on the v55 codebase which many were saying is not prone to vibes... but with about 2 month's hard work on top of it.... a lot of sleepless nights have been dedicated to its improvement.

Laters....

Cheers !!

GeorgeM

Most welcome, Malc !

Hmm.... remembering a previous post deep down this thread.....

@ the guy who has posted a video of Picloc behaving strangely in his room, camera pointed at the window... ( cannot find the video )
can you try the 8 steps that I mentioned above ?

Thanks !!

PaNt

Hmmm.....

Strange !!!

Perhaps we can do a skype..... But let me finish the new firmware... I'll be uploading it over tomorrow to beta testers who emailed privately to get it and experiment and let me know of improvements to adapt.
It is based on the v55 codebase which many were saying is not prone to vibes... but with about 2 month's hard work on top of it.... a lot of sleepless nights have been dedicated to its improvement.

Laters....

Cheers !!

Hmm i want it tooo.>! I have sent you an email with the right title :):) :)

Thank you!

EricH

What goes up...
Alex's issues seem to be exactly the same as I have been struggling with over the last week. My mount is an AV200 style, with 360 deg pan, and roll and tilt using feedback pots.
I can get it to stabilise nicely on the ground -using a spirit level to make sure it is staying centred in roll and tilt. I have very smooth manual control of pan,tilt and roll, and cannot see any vibes or shakes on HD footage when flown with stabilisation turned off. However once stab is on I get a small jitter on tilt and pan and the roll axis is not doing a very good job of keeping a level horizon. Sometimes it seems to overcompensate and other times under compensate. In stabilise mode the pan also appears to have a lower resolution when you drive it from the sticks. ie it is slightly steppy in action. I don't see this in manual mode or even if I connect direct to a receiver and use -ve expo to give a very soft start and slow pan.

So far, I have tried replacing the servos with higher speed ones (HS5565 hitecs), running these at various voltages up to 8v, using different gear ratios, running zero acceleration on pan and tilt (and most settings up from that!), reducing the proportional gains until it hardly stabilises, tried different values of accelerometer correction influence and have been through the mechanical setup multiple times to make sure there is free movement with no backlash. I have made some small improvements to the results, but still not acceptable in my view.

Today I took the 3X off the mount, fitted a cheap KK board with camera stabilisation code on it and got the best footage in over a week of continuous tests ! Frustrating does not come close to describing it!

If there is a sweet spot to be found on the 3X, it has eluded me so far. I would be very interested to hear what makes of servos and gear ratios are being used with success.

Malcolm

The 55 series of Hitec servos don't have enough resolution (2-3ms) resulting in steps in PL correction (I used the 5585 at one point and got rid of those).
I'm about to try some JR 8917HV- just waiting for some new gear pulleys. Will report back when tested.

E

Highviz

The 55 series of Hitec servos don't have enough resolution (2-3ms) resulting in steps in PL correction (I used the 5585 at one point and got rid of those).
I'm about to try some JR 8917HV- just waiting for some new gear pulleys. Will report back when tested.

E

Thanks Eric, will look forward to your feedback on the JR servos. Hitec quote a deadband of 2uS, but I don't know if that translates to step resolution. I do know that they appear to be super smooth in manual control, especially with the 6:1 reduction gear I have now, and I can't see any shake when hand holding the mount in stabilised mode. Just get that annoying jitter in the air. For info, I have tried Hyperion Atlas (really bad - noticeably poor step resolution), Hitec HS605 (just a stopgap till new servos arrived -obviously a bit slow, but still 'steppy' in stabilise mode) Hitec 7955TG (currently got that on roll axis), Futaba 9351 (was on tilt, but no different to current Hitecs).

I notice that a certain other manufacturers product seems to be suffering from jitter - and running separate power to the servos seems to help. I might give that a go when I can summon the energy to try again!

Malcolm

holco

Hi George,

What is the status of the 3X VII? I am ready to order one.

Greetings,

Mario

Btw, I have send you an email also.

Knilch

Maybe I, too, should start a business like that as it seems to work pretty easily. Promote a product (best of all without any pictures at all) going to hit the market "soon", asking for a nice price and to top it off starting with a "discounted preorder" just to deliver something very flawed.

Picloc, Skyline RSGS, DJI (everything)…

And people just don't learn.

PaNt

Guys on 56.76 when i connect the PAN the servo of PAN is turning continoues..! I can stop it with the stick but if i give input again then it is turning..! what is wrong??!

I have slew ticked and stabilization!!?

GeorgeM

PANt, Servo is turning continuous because it is trying to compensate.

If you lift the copter up from the ground, it should stabilize the Pan axis.

That is why there is AUX 3 control... to stop the PAN axis stabilization when on the ground, so that the copter does not turn.

PaNt

That is why there is AUX 3 control... to stop the PAN axis stabilization when on the ground, so that the copter does not turn.

LoL ok..! the Roll is nice now..! Any tips from anyone for the 56.76??? its the first time i use this version!

PaNt

George can you tell me again on the spektrum 360 servos do i use P gain and accelaration and smooth??

Thank you!

What gyrodeadband and what bandwidth?

PaNt

Hmmm.....

Strange !!!

Laters....

Cheers !!
<meta charset="utf-8">Hey George..!

I am trying to set it up for a Cinestar 8 with HFP board..!
Can you pls tell me the best settings for Spektrum 6040 360 servo??
First of all which firm to put? X1? x3? or the high gain???

Sexondly i have put the X1 the roll seems to work well in hand with 1300gain and a little accell...!
Tilt is not working good at the end always is making a small movement this will go away if i put too high gain near 1600 but then it start jittering a little..! what can i do??

Pan i havent tested as it is turning it not on a multicopter...!

I have ticked all 360servo..! i have tried the accel influence but the difference is not much..! :( :(

PS: George where is the Firmware?? :)