Photohigher skyline rsgs

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Loading FW 1.7b1 and starting the process again.

Aye up SMP. Have you loaded it yet? When you go to the monitor window does it crash your computer?

Any one else?

I have tried it on two machines now and it reads out puts for about 10/15 seconds than crashes PC.

Dave

SMP

Beats me Xero, I already had purchased the two Savox before PH replied that they were checking out the MKS as a direct replacement. Have heard freefly have been good for others. ANY 360 servo HAS to be better than the pain of modding your own!!!

Dave - DID have the same problem months back when it first came out. So badly I ended up just reloadind 1.2.2 and getting another Skyline to test. THIS time I load 1.7b1 without issues and it seemed like everything was working BUT I haven't flown it and now I'm not sure if I just loaded it, looked at the tuning tab, called it good and then shelved it till i could test again. Drat... the more I think about it, dont think I looked at the monitor tab... Grrr. Let you know in a couple of hours.

xerofly

Iam looking forward for the update....BTW when I load 1.2.2 the system crashes....some how I managed to load 1.2.2 the results are poor...probably I have to try 1.7beta

Efliernz

Pete
My 1.7beta crashes too. PH have been aware of this for 4 months now... Brendan at PH was sorting out the code but I suspect it is in the "too hard bin"...

Pete

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Its really sad they seemed to have shelved the project and moved on to others..

I wonder how the Skyline problems will affect their ability to sell other so called ground breaking products

Dave

ZAxis

Basically they bit off more than they could chew, hoping they'd crack the gimbal electonics thing quickly. But ... they screwed up big time at their first attempt, basically trying to be too 'clever' with the electronics design. Everything since then has been desperate patch and hope it works and they are still in that loop with little hope they'll come out of it. My Skyline, bought cheap from someone who'd had enough, is used for just tilt and seems OK but 3 axis, no chance. I just wish someone at PH would come out and confess to the error of their ways. Any company worthy of respect would do that and move on, hopefully with their customer base intact.
As for future products, at the moment I dispair. Droidworx have been through a major restructure after they realised they were world leaders in an emerging market and seem to be on top of things. They have aborted projects that may have gone nowhere or put them on a back burner; folding arms anyone ? They have also gone very public when screw up have occurred. If one small NZ company can do this so can any other.
Remember gimbal technology is nothing new to NZ companies, the full size hel Shotover gimbal is NZ designed and that will out CineFlex a CineFlex.
This whole affair has saddened me deeply. I really want them to succeed but only they can make it happen.

Anyone from PH care to comment ?

andy

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Anyone from PH care to comment ?

No chance Andy, and for those of you that know Andy personally I would say this a very honest and thought out post. I do feel sorry for the PH team but the beta testers right from the beginning, me inclded said dont do it until things where sorted. The rest is history, this is the biggest thread on here, why PH have not listened to the best minds in MR's is beyond me... mmm I wonder what is controlling there $14k Halo 3000! and will anyone trust it.

Dave

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
As much as I was an early adopter not only of the PH gimbals but also beta tested the RSGS and then bought a production unit, I don't ever see myself buying any of their products again, it's simply been far too time consuming and aggravating trying to get reasonably good results from any of it. I now have three brushless gimbals and each one delivers far better results with minimal time and $ investment, the new generation of open source brushless controllers and low cost motors work, period. I just upgraded one of them to the latest version of the Alexmos firmware and the improvement is remarkable, amazing progress for something that was developed only a few short months ago by a very bright gent in Russia. I can't think of a better application of the term "gone viral" than the explosion of popularity of the brushless systems and the companies producing them all or in part. It IS the way of the future in APV IMO, and outfits like Freefly had better grab as much of the $15,000 gimbal market as they can while they have a slight edge, the competition is gaining ground every day and the ability to command that kind of price is going to fade fast.

Ken

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Spot on Ken.. just have a look what diverdan has done. Off topic so Ill shut up. Needless to say all of those with sort of working skylines all wired up, and persevering are day by day loosing the will to carry on. I have two PH gimbals (had 4 before the fire) and now I am wondering if the AV130 /AV200 will go down the route of the skyline. There was muting of brushless upgrades but I guess that is about as likely as a fully functions skyline and software.

I know guys with in a very well known british establishment with what would see unlimited funds seem to like the skyline... BUT they are using one on each axis!

As Zaxis says if PH wold just contribute on here and hold hands up there credibility would be greatly improved. Come on Kim, support or admit defeat. Give us an alternative to sing praises about rather than continually complain about the lack of CS and general head in the sand behaviour.

I am sure if all the posts on all the forums where totalled up with hours spent trying to get the bloody thing to work globally then it would all add up to a space shuttle redesign!

Enough wining Dave.. onwards and upwards..

SO KEN. where do we go my friend?

Dave

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Well, I don't know about anyone else but as for the here and now I'm quite happy with the setups I currently have ready to fly. I can carry the Nex 5 on the CS with BL gimbal and I have a pair of GoPro size setup, one to carry the Hero 3 and the other to carry any of the previous versions which require different balancing. Have to say after three plus years of trial and error and far too much time and $ thrown at it, I finally have not one but three APV rigs that meet my expectations for quality of results in proportion to the time and investment required to get them to that point.

Seeing how rapidly things are progressing I fully expect that the gear I currently have will be quickly eclipsed by new developments but the nice thing is the basic hardware can be upgraded as that happens and the controller boards are cheap enough to toss in the bin if they can't utilize the new firmware when better models are released. I firmly believe that within a year or so we will see inexpensive hobby level systems that rival what high end "pro" level systems are capable of now. Ultimately what that will do to the market is drive the price down and the availability up though it will likely also force a few companies to either follow the trend or close their doors due to the inability to change with the times.

These are great times for the consumer but not so nice for the manufacturers, time will tell who survives and who fades away.

Ken

Macsgrafs

I would NEVER buy anything again from PH, even if they change thier name I will always check companies house first..once bitten, twice shy & n this modern day dissaster of an economic climate...people will be VERY careful as to who gets thier hard earned money...Alexmos stuff is less than the cost of a useless rsgs and 1000% superior!

Ross

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up Ross.. Just wondered when you would jump in... Please infer us all if you find um trading under some other name.. I have to say unless it was proven technology with loads of 5 star reviews I will be giving their new products a wide birth. As far as the AV130 and AV200 go I love um and would buy them again and again.

Dave

Macsgrafs

Aye Up Ross.. Just wondered when you would jump in... Please infer us all if you find um trading under some other name.. I have to say unless it was proven technology with loads of 5 star reviews I will be giving their new products a wide birth. As far as the AV130 and AV200 go I love um and would buy them again and again.

Dave

Hi mate,
I agree, the AV200 is perfect for us.....just that eeeeeeeerrrrrsgs! I am going to mod it to take a couple of direct drive motors & alexmos or something similar, I reckon £145 for the lot!
I think some of these bigger companies will find they struggle to sell the new stuff for much more than $750, as they are peanuts to make.

Ross

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi mate,
I agree, the AV200 is perfect for us.....just that eeeeeeeerrrrrsgs! I am going to mod it to take a couple of direct drive motors & alexmos or something similar, I reckon £145 for the lot!
I think some of these bigger companies will find they struggle to sell the new stuff for much more than $750, as they are peanuts to make.

Ross

BH Ross we agree on something!!

Down your neck of the wood August, we should catch up fly and chew the fat!

Hi mate,

Ross
Let us know if/when you successfully mod the AV 200 for brushless