Photohigher skyline rsgs

Tuukkuli

About tuning: When I tune the gimbal with the TX off, it goes fine. And after re-boot, still the TX off, the gimbal works. Horizon is on level etc.

BUT

When I turn the TX on, the gimbal goes haywire. When I switch the AUX to auto stab or to stab with stick inputs position, the horizon is immediately off. After switching the stab off and on again from AUX, the horizon tilts to another direction. Also the pan stab works OK with TX off but once TX is switched on, it starts to jitter badly.

When I try to tune the gimbal with TX on, the Skyline software always crashes. Firmware 1.7b.

I have Futaba a T10C TX a Futaba R6016HFC 6-channel FSST 2.4GHz receiver. In the Vimeo instruction videos by Photohigher it is not mentioned wether the tuning should be done TX on or TX off but I have understood it should be on. Opinions?

SMP

Welcome to the wonderful world of chasing the Skyline... Lower gains to 0 and fly again. Make sure its not your airframe. We had an AD6 w AV200/360 that was VERY VERY sensitive to balance. If the entire airframe wasn't balanced perfectly and I'm talking gluing quarters under motorpucks kinda crap, then it would give up roll shakes like you're seeing. We found that AD6 flew w 12" Sloflys, didnt like 12" XOAR Woodies, prefered 13" Apc thin electrics and LOVED 12" Carbons. It was STILL microsensitive to balance though and the tiniest bit off would start the shakes at any gains approaching useable. Finally converted the airframe to COAX 8 and made a WORLD of difference. Skylines still &%!but at least you know its not whats carrying it.

Once you're SURE its not your airframe then go back to your Skyline AND PERFECTLY balance the camera and then do the daily dance of adjusting gains slowly up on one Axis at a time.

Or you could just lower your roll axis gains a bit and go fly...

I dunno if you have correctly save the setting after making tuning or settings.
It doesn't matter if TX is on or off.
After setting the XYZ axis, always rem to save the setting before going on to run other tests.

Albertog:
I haven't seen any roll or hard pitch test or maybe the gains were set so wonderful these imperfections were not shown.. :)
Anyway, the jello probably came from vibration of the chassis. Have to isolate the source.
If you are like me, i have balanced everything from prop's horizontal to vertical position and still get a little vibration (mine no jello, but high freq, micro amplitude), then its time to built a wire rope dampener.
Last question, what camera and video mode and frame rate? I have heard (not many) some GP users seeing jello at 1080/30fps. But at 720/60, all is fine. Maybe this happen also to some other cams? Not for my 5Dm3.

dez

Pilot
Hi.

This is my first skyline test.

Droidworx Ad6, naza, apc slow fly 12x3.8 props, mk motors, av200

https://vimeo.com/65252965

Any ideas what could be causing that vibrations???

Thanks Alot.

Alberto.

Yes. That is jello. Vibration caused by a;) props not balanced, or b;) insufficient isolation of the gimbal from the frame. Iso mounts would work, but you have to play with the stiffness of the rubber. Its fun setting on a solution, as lots of testing is involved.

albertog

Ad6

Thanks alot for all your kind suggestions.

This is a default firmware 1.17b or something i got a link inside this thread.

The camera is a gh2, 30fps.

I have no insulation, its the stock av200 mounting characteristics.

I'll check in all suggestions.

Yes. That is jello. Vibration caused by a;) props not balanced, or b;) insufficient isolation of the gimbal from the frame. Iso mounts would work, but you have to play with the stiffness of the rubber. Its fun setting on a solution, as lots of testing is involved.

blushoes

Hi guys

I just started fiddling with my Skyline (pre order version with the old looms and self made dummy pots).
Wanted to wait till things were more or less settled down from all the initial bugs before I start on it.

Well, I managed to get it to work on 1.2.2 but all of a sudden, I now cannot connect to the skyline!
There was the ocassional disconnecting, but could connect back if i restarted the power / software.
But now, in the same work session, nothing changed on my laptop etc, I just can't connect to it anymore.

When I try updating firmware, and software prompts to power up the skyline, which I then do, for a brief moment
I see the blue text on the software 'connected' and 'updating firmware', but very quickly it then disconnects.

Frustrating.

I have the same problem, since I contacted the manufacturer and got no answer.

more users with the same problem
http://photohigher.co.nz/forum/general-discussion/show/47

Hi guys

I just started fiddling with my Skyline (pre order version with the old looms and self made dummy pots).
Wanted to wait till things were more or less settled down from all the initial bugs before I start on it.

Well, I managed to get it to work on 1.2.2 but all of a sudden, I now cannot connect to the skyline!
There was the ocassional disconnecting, but could connect back if i restarted the power / software.
But now, in the same work session, nothing changed on my laptop etc, I just can't connect to it anymore.

When I try updating firmware, and software prompts to power up the skyline, which I then do, for a brief moment
I see the blue text on the software 'connected' and 'updating firmware', but very quickly it then disconnects.

Frustrating.

SMP

Deep sigh... For those of you using AV200 w 360 Pan Kit. Be advised that the top nut (the big one) is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to tight from the factory. This results in a burned up servo. DBL CHECK the model # of your burned up servo as if you believe information posted elsewhere (av200 repair kits etc) you will order a TG1258 which is NOT the pan servo. 360 pan users recommend you loosen that bolt immediately and save your servo AND needle bearings (not in a collar, not with dust shields, not not not etc... you'll see how piss poor the design is when you open it up) PS. Anybody need a brand new 1258??? Didn't think so.. :livid:

Remember factory overtightening on screw (non-skyline side) the Camera tilt tray as well causes tilt jitters.

<--- not a happy camper.

alexoki

Hi SMP. How long have you had your av200 360 in operation before you had problems with the burnt out servo?
Also I saw in another thread that you are awaiting a Musky brushless gimbal. Have you received it yet? Let us know how you get on with it.

iscorama

Deep sigh... For those of you using AV200 w 360 Pan Kit. Be advised that the top nut (the big one) is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to tight from the factory. This results in a burned up servo. DBL CHECK the model # of your burned up servo as if you believe information posted elsewhere (av200 repair kits etc) you will order a TG1258 which is NOT the pan servo. 360 pan users recommend you loosen that bolt immediately and save your servo AND needle bearings (not in a collar, not with dust shields, not not not etc... you'll see how piss poor the design is when you open it up) PS. Anybody need a brand new 1258??? Didn't think so.. :livid:

Remember factory overtightening on screw (non-skyline side) the Camera tilt tray as well causes tilt jitters.

<--- not a happy camper.

Well if you have read carefully you would see that TG1258 is not pan servo...
http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...r-skyline-rsgs&p=105398&viewfull=1#post105398

SMP

Ahh bloody hell, you pointed me in exactly the right direction Iscorama and I missed it. :black_eyed:

As to the length of time on the burnt out servo??? Less than 25 flights. Happened very fast, principally due to nut tension but the fact that any dust can go straight into the needle bearings a contributor as well.

Got the Musky moments ago... mixed initial impression. http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...shless-Gimbal-for-NEX-5-6-7-550D-or-GF2/page7 Need to be clear though, the musky is not an AV200 replacement nor is any brushless at the moment. Like it or not the AV200/Skyline /Servo Gimbals are the only ones capable of heavy DSLR/FS/RED lifts and will likely stay that way for some time. I don't fancy dropping 15k on a freefly so the AV200's will still have a home. I AM however looking forward to using Brushless for everything else. The less Skyline the better.

<--- not a happy camper.

We do notnormally supply the 360 kits assembled so i am not sure why the nut is tootight - unless you purchased this from a re-seller? In any case the nut shouldbe tightened just enough to remove the slop - with lock tight. The 360 kits areassembled by the customer - majority of the time. Thrust bearings should beassembled with grease.
Not sure why you are having issues with the 1258 servo this is the same servowe use on the tilt axes - it is a high torque servo. Using the 1258 servo onthe pan axes works well when using the Skyline to stabilize pan.

With regards to connection problems -we are working on this issue to try andfind out what is causing the problem - we suspect it could be a faulty batch ofUSB cables. As soon as we find out what the problem is we will let you guysknow. Brendon will post some info as soon as he can

SMP

First and foremost, appreciate your taking the time to respond. I own two AV200/360/Skylines and appreciate the support. Hopefully this is a sign of an even more active support role.

Regarding the pan servo nut. Noted. This was purchased and assembled from a Dealer. Not your issue but something you might want your dealers to be advised of. I'll be candid however, the lack of any dust bearing covers and/or races and large tolerances makes it an easy part to get dust into. Relegates thrust bearings to be a consumable, fair enough, moving on. Regarding the 1258. I'm certainly ignorant regarding servos however the new 1258 I have only has about 100 degree's of travel which is consistent with the savox spec sheet. If the 1258 will indeed work perhaps you can share how I can obtain a full 360 degrees travel from same??

Dimensions(mm): 40.3x20.2x37.2
Weight(g): 52.4
Speed(@4.8V sec/60): .10
Torque(@4.8V oz-in): 133.3
Speed(@6.0V sec/60): .08
Torque(@6.0V oz-in): 166.6
Gear: Titanium & Aluminum
Bearing: 2BB
Case: Aluminum
Running current (at no load): 100 mA @ 4.8V
Running current (at no load): 120 mA @ 6.0V
Stall current (at locked): 4000 mA @ 4.8V
Stall current (at locked): 5000 mA @ 6.0V
Idle current (at stopped): 5 mA @ 4.8V
Idle current (at stopped): 5 mA @ 6.0V
Limit angle: 200°±10°
Connector wire gauge: #22 AWG
Connector wire length: 250 ±5 mm
Horn gear spline: 25T
Control system: Pulse width modification
Amplifier type: Digital Controller
Operating Travel: 100° (when1000→2000 μsec)
Neutral position: 1500 μsec
Dead band width: 3 μsec
Rotating direction: Counterclockwise (when1500→2000 μsec)
Pulse width range: 800→2200 μsec
Maximum travel: Approx 130°(when900→2100 μsec)

Again appreciate your presence here. I am confident that many many thousands of your customers are enjoying flawless service and that this thread represents the minority. Unfortunately for us here we are still struggling. A minor presence from definitive experts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: