Photohigher skyline rsgs

hover.ch

Sounds like the same problem I had / still have:
In order to connect, I had to power Skyline, once connected I was able to switch to power supply through USB.

However, the manual about firmware upgrade clearly says "Make sure the Skyline is disconnected from its power supply".
Without external power, I was never able to connect - same error messages as described above.

Sounds like the same problem I had / still have:
In order to connect, I had to power Skyline, once connected I was able to switch to power supply through USB.

However, the manual about firmware upgrade clearly says "Make sure the Skyline is disconnected from its power supply".
Without external power, I was never able to connect - same error messages as described above.

I could never connect the skyline, power on or power off, and in any sequence, already tested it all, he just connected the old software 1.0.3, but it was not possible change settings anything or update the FW.
thank your reply

dez

Pilot
After 157,000 veiws this thread is the BIG.

Unfortunatley RCworks DEZ, Steffe and Helecambroadcast as you can see not all is well with this product.. NO matter what version unit you have OR What version FW you have. it seems that every RSCG has a built in mind of its own.

The second V1.2 I have is no exception. It works for a few weeks, well sort of then throws a complete hippyfit and need to be re-calibrated. At the moment the unit is on a pre CAA certified machine so I have not spent to much time with it but tomorrw is certification day and after that it has to earn coin. If I cant get the reliability of the Radian that is on my Y6 then I am really sad to say It will be discarded and signed off as yet another waist of money.

I really feel for PH but they seem to have done the ostrich thing with this product. I just wish they had listened to the Beta Testers Advice. HayHo life!

Dave

Dave: I got into this hobby last fall after retiring from flying RC precision aerobatics for over 20 years. I am having a blast. I do not rely on the income however I am slowly getting into the commercial end. What I have found through my reading and testing is this. This is a fiddly business. For 15,000 dollars you can get something good, yet its fiddly. I preferred to do my own Research and development and have improved my quality through this testing over 100% in the last 4 months. Everything from flying characteristics to solving jello to gimbal stabilization. It is what it is and the technology continues to get better. To be in the business early is a risk as you have growing pains and are stuck investing in unknowns.

I am still formulating my opinions and until then I test and unfortunately you have to live by restrictions and always push the envelope to figure out better ways to do things.

Have had success recently with 1.7b in up to 10K steady winds however in gusty conditions where the aircraft hits gusts, it being high up and climbing and falling in altitude you can't detect from the ground I think that this messes up the Skyline. Especially when panning. This is only a guess and I can't prove it. It's an observation.

Bottom line is for me. Know what your limitations are and work with them. The skyline is 100 times better than Wookong or Naza stabilization. I like it. It will get better.

I hate fiddly things, love doing aerial vids, so what can I do..LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Not sure what to suggest. I have tilt rigged up to a switch and and dial. The switch I use to change between the extreme positions and the dial I use to fine tune for slight angle adjustments. Its probably not the best setup, but for the time being it works. I find that there is no way to set tilt angle by adjusting or assigning percentages to a switch on the radio. The values always change. So its either 90 degrees down for one end of the switch and zero for the other end of the switch however, the camera overshoots zero, so I have to stop it with the slider value. Bizarre isn't it? But it works.

I found the problem at last :), checked everything over again and when i slightly felt on the cables in the connector to the Rsgs one has get off the connector , i solder the cable to the connectorpin and i work well again

I found the problem at last :), checked everything over again and when i slightly felt on the cables in the connector to the Rsgs one has get off the connector , i solder the cable to the connectorpin and i work well again
I have exactly the same problem. Although I can switch the servos on and off and the light goes blue, nothing else will change. Which wire did you resolder??

iscorama

I just ordered Tarot ZYX-GS Camera Gimbal Stabilization System 3-Axis to use it along with skyline. Skyline for tilt&pan and tarot for roll (or skyline for tilt/roll and tarot for pan, will see which combination gives best results). Do I need to put back blue pot that was removed from av200 when i installed skyline?

Have written to PH about my serial port comms problem but no response.
Basically there is no response from my skyline either when connected to the USB port..I can toggle the light from green to blue via the com port by switching between servo on/off but that is it.
I have checked all the wiring connections for continuity. The only thing I can think of is the values of the com port might have been changed. Mine are 9600 baud, 8 bits, no parity,1 stop bit, no flow control. I cannot find what the values are supposed to be so can anyone send me what their values are please?
The unit has been working OK for ages, and this is a new development.

Bluerex

From the HK page..

The ZYX-GS provides two kinds of stabilization control modes - attitude locking mode and following mode (FPV). These make the user's aerial filming applications more flexible and convenient. ZYX-GS has different control algorithms for position servos and velocity servos (no potentiometer), this advantage allows people to choose the suitable control mode according to their servo type.

Somewhere in there it says "no potentiometer" - I'd give it a try :)

c

Hi all, i hope you can help advise how better to tune the AV200 + RSGS here. The current aetting as per describe in the YouTube detail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GurmflFztr4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thank you.

Edit: already at 300 for pos roll and tilt, but seems not able to catch up with the multicopter's action. Also the gimbal seems to be vibrating due to own wear and tear altho its new. We have already improvised helical coil wire damper between the Skyjib 8 and the AV200.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Dave: I got into this hobby last fall after retiring from flying RC precision aerobatics for over 20 years. I am having a blast. I do not rely on the income however I am slowly getting into the commercial end. What I have found through my reading and testing is this. This is a fiddly business. For 15,000 dollars you can get something good, yet its fiddly. I preferred to do my own Research and development and have improved my quality through this testing over 100% in the last 4 months. Everything from flying characteristics to solving jello to gimbal stabilization. It is what it is and the technology continues to get better. To be in the business early is a risk as you have growing pains and are stuck investing in unknowns.

I am still formulating my opinions and until then I test and unfortunately you have to live by restrictions and always push the envelope to figure out better ways to do things.

Have had success recently with 1.7b in up to 10K steady winds however in gusty conditions where the aircraft hits gusts, it being high up and climbing and falling in altitude you can't detect from the ground I think that this messes up the Skyline. Especially when panning. This is only a guess and I can't prove it. It's an observation.

Bottom line is for me. Know what your limitations are and work with them. The skyline is 100 times better than Wookong or Naza stabilization. I like it. It will get better.

I hate fiddly things, love doing aerial vids, so what can I do..LOL

Aye Up Dez and welcome to MRF.

I have been supporting DW and PH since they started but again this thread anbd I am sure others on different forums has basically destroyed the credibility of the Skyline.

I was thinking of starting a RSCG thread for those who find it works or almost works and limiting posts to positive ones that help build a better picture of how a few have had some success with the controller..

MMM I need to think of how to word it.. watch this space... well no actually the one I will create.

Input like yours is always welcome here.

Dave

modles

Nerdlinger
It turns out my problem were entirely hardware based.

My skyline was not provided with a threaded shaft so i placed it on non servo side of the mount. It seems this is just a big no no and prevents you from having the gains anywhere near as high as they need to be for tilt. I drilled out and tapped the other shaft, and mounted the skyline on the servo side this made a huge difference.

I also moved the other locking bolt from the bottom to the top of the side servo plate, this then mean the tray was free to move with no friction. these two things have now given me a useable mount, its certainly not as good as brushless and from the shoot we did at the weekend only 2 short clips were usable but its an improvement for sure.

I think many of the complaints on the forum of how bad the av200 + rsgs are could be solved with better documentation,

B

dez

Pilot
Hi Dave

Aye Up Dez and welcome to MRF.

I have been supporting DW and PH since they started but again this thread anbd I am sure others on different forums has basically destroyed the credibility of the Skyline.

I was thinking of starting a RSCG thread for those who find it works or almost works and limiting posts to positive ones that help build a better picture of how a few have had some success with the controller..

MMM I need to think of how to word it.. watch this space... well no actually the one I will create.

Input like yours is always welcome here.

Dave

Hi Dave. I have been an avid reader on this thread and others. Yes I read all of the negative stuff and come to think of it, there is negative stuff published about every controller out there. Having gone through the same setup and configuration challenges as everyone else, I am certainly thankful for a resource such as this. Lots of good ideas and tricks gained only through these news groups. Lots of times just reading about ideas spawns your own solution. I am always an advocate for positive news, however sharing the not so good news is useful. I remember during my setup phase the reaction I had for the answer, NOW, and the frustration. Its just that I didn't spill this feeling on a forum. It isn't perfect, but so far it works. For now, Its called editing, lots of editing from segments of good vid.:) I like editing.

Mactadpole

Does anyone have any idea what PhotoHigher is up to in an effort to better support this product?

I am pretty much at the point that I am ready to sell mine. Brand new with dummy pots, never installed because I have been waiting to see if there was a final solution coming. I get good enough results from the MK FC stabilization for what I do - Stills. Was hoping to start shooting video but it looks like the brushless revolution has taken over where this product was supposed to leave us.

Their brushless gimbals better be damn good and cheap if they are going to recover from this debacle.

Thanks for letting me relieve my frustration on the thread today!

rcmike

I converted my Cinestar gimbal to brushless last week and I have never been happier with the performance. It still needs some minor tweaking but the video is far superior to any servo driven gimbal I have seen, especially in the wind. I am probably going to sell my RSGS too. I don't think I could ever go back to it and be happy with the performance after going brushless. For the first time I am happy with the video I'm getting.

Does anyone have any idea what PhotoHigher is up to in an effort to better support this product?

I am pretty much at the point that I am ready to sell mine. Brand new with dummy pots, never installed because I have been waiting to see if there was a final solution coming. I get good enough results from the MK FC stabilization for what I do - Stills. Was hoping to start shooting video but it looks like the brushless revolution has taken over where this product was supposed to leave us.

There brushless gimbals better be damn good and cheap if they are going to recover from this debacle.

Thanks for letting me relieve my frustration on the thread today!