Photohigher skyline rsgs

Congratulations from NE Italy too!
So, talking about consequences: for a few months we can expect after sales service presence 24/7, right? It's just a matter to learn to hold her with one hand whilst typing with the other.
Been there, done that...:nevreness:

tombrown1

Quick question:

When I tilt all the way down looking straight to the ground the tilt stabilization gets a bit confused. If it it is pointed down and the multicopter flies backward then it can't compensate past the 90 degrees and upon returning to level flight it shakes one time. This happens even on a slight backwards motion. Is this common? Any workaround for it? It makes it very difficult to get stable footage while looking straight down.

Thanks,

Tom

I have the V1.0 skyline and got myself a new wire harness and two dummy pots, will start working on it shortly. Any headsup or any tips; to do - not to do will be greatly appreciated. I saw a step by step instruction here somewhere in the last few previous pages but not able to find it now. Oh btw its for a front mount helicam with a 3 axis AV200.

meme

Great test. From what I see in your Skyline only lest, there's vibration that is causing that jitter. I was battling with tilt issue for a few hours of testing about a month ago, and then decided to look into all aspects of my set up. Holding my frame, with the skyline fully activated, and stock gains showed no jitter, but in flight, the jitters were there. It came down to my craft simply not flying smooth. I rebalanced the props, and checked the vibration of the motors using an android vibration app, and it was clearly my props. I balanced them, and re-tested, and it was good. I also found some flight modes (I use ZeroTech YS-X6 AutoPilot system) were different in smoothness of flight. You are obviously in non-gps mode, so you can eliminate gps mode being an issue, but try one on altitude hold mode (sorry, dont know what its called on Naza) and then try manuall ATT to see if theres any flight characteristics causing some vibration. Also, calibrated ESC's can also effect smoothness, I had a massive wobble just hovering when I first flew my coax, fixed with a re-calibration of the ESC's Sorry I cant be more specific, theres so many variables in this.

Its in my opinion that your jitters are more from vibration (because the naza stabilization is obviously not effected)... Just my thoughts...

UPDATE:
Unscrewed and re-screwed all the Bolts of the Tray and the Skyline itself. Seems much better now, had a little hovering in my small Hobby Room, seems much better. Will try tomorrow in daylight conditions and then report.

Thanks, Nic anD Macgrafs,

but i can exclude vibrations or otherproblems on the copter:
- All Motors ans Props are well balanced
- Mounted the LG on the Ad6 HL wich is perfectly smooth, no changes
- Flown again with the F550 with RSGS and Gimbal Stabi off, no Vibrations seen in the footage

I see Jitter in Tilt on top of the cam lens when i hold the frame and move it, i feel Jitter in Tilt on the Camera Tray when i touch it and move the Copter in Tils Axis wit the other hand. When i use the Naza Gimbal Stabilization on Tilt the Jitter is gone, but the Stabilization from it is pretty bad. (to slow, not responsive) , like youv'e seen in my videos.

This is frustrating because the Stabilization Output from te RSGS (both Axes) works really, really well.
Here some daylight footage from today:

Last edited by a moderator:

meme

I have the V1.0 skyline and got myself a new wire harness and two dummy pots, will start working on it shortly. Any headsup or any tips; to do - not to do will be greatly appreciated. I saw a step by step instruction here somewhere in the last few previous pages but not able to find it now. Oh btw its for a front mount helicam with a 3 axis AV200.

In my case, the SG worked really well. I've read and re-read it :) Make sure to use a quality BEC for powering the Skyline.

nicwilke

UPDATE:
Unscrewed and re-screwed all the Bolts of the Tray and the Skyline itself. Seems much better now, had a little hovering in my small Hobby Room, seems much better. Will try tomorrow in daylight conditions and then report.

Thanks, Nic anD Macgrafs,

but i can exclude vibrations or otherproblems on the copter:
- All Motors ans Props are well balanced
- Mounted the LG on the Ad6 HL wich is perfectly smooth, no changes
- Flown again with the F550 with RSGS and Gimbal Stabi off, no Vibrations seen in the footage

I see Jitter in Tilt on top of the cam lens when i hold the frame and move it, i feel Jitter in Tilt on the Camera Tray when i touch it and move the Copter in Tils Axis wit the other hand. When i use the Naza Gimbal Stabilization on Tilt the Jitter is gone, but the Stabilization from it is pretty bad. (to slow, not responsive) , like youv'e seen in my videos.

This is frustrating because the Stabilization Output from te RSGS (both Axes) works really, really well.
Here some daylight footage from today:

I had to watch the video twice, as I was more captured by the beautiful place you live (where is it)... But, I think

OK, so what I think is happening, is that the gimbal is being shook by movement of the copter, how 'rattly' is the roll carriage? Even though you dont have roll issues, it may be causing amplified vibration feedback to the skyline. I had pretty much the exact same issue with my droidworx ADX Coaxial with AV130 and NEX-5n. See this video, its unstabilized (sorry for the resolution, but you will get the idea)
That is the best raw footage as far as not post stabilizing that i've got so far, but retired the ADX last night to build the new machine.
I think from your video, you may need some more damening of the gimbal, because perhaps the vibrations arent the issue, you could be experiencing lower frequency vibration (more of a tilt wobble) Look carefully at 0:20 seconds in this video, you can see a forward/backward slight wobble. I fixed that by recalibrating the throttle range of the ESC's.
So, check the sloppiness of the roll carriage, if its a little sloppy, tighten the roll gear (push the servo closer to the roll aluminum gear and re-tighten). Sounds silly that roll sloppiness would cause tilt issues, but its some sort of movement feedback that I was getting. Also, since you have a good multirotor, and smooth flying FC, roll back the tilt gains. Make it a little lazier, (you know give it a few beers to slow it down and make it relax a little.) That way, it wont be fighting the feedback as much, and you will see an improvement. Film using 50fps (or 60fos if you have NSTC, but I think Italy is PAL like Australia).

Hope this helps, you most likely have tried all this anyway. Cheers.

meme

No more Jitter! :frog:

When i removed all the Screws i noticed some thin plastic (same material as the cover- shrink of the RSGS ) on the Screw wich fixes the RSGS on the Gimbal. Removed that and..hurray, the Jitter on Tilt is gone. i am really happy about that. Got special permit from my wife to leave the house at 10 pm to test it in a Garage, here are the results:
No i can start to work on the Gains,finally.

cheers, meme

nicwilke

No more Jitter! :frog:

When i removed all the Screws i noticed some thin plastic (same material as the cover- shrink of the RSGS ) on the Screw wich fixes the RSGS on the Gimbal. Removed that and..hurray, the Jitter on Tilt is gone. i am really happy about that. Got special permit from my wife to leave the house at 10 pm to test it in a Garage, here are the results:
No i can start to work on the Gains,finally.

cheers, meme
Great news, funny, I sort of knew it was something like feedback to the skyline. With gains tuning, do a little at a time, increse, and record, view and assess. You got it!!! Well done champ.

meme

Great news, funny, I sort of knew it was something like feedback to the skyline. With gains tuning, do a little at a time, increse, and record, view and assess. You got it!!! Well done champ.
Thanks Nic, worked on the Gains today and results become even better.

The last thing i have to figure out: Jawing the copter will affect the Roll Axis, check 0:14 on my last vid... When i jaw to the right the Roll Axis rolls to the left and vice versa.
Any idea someone?

EDIT: Found a answer from Brendon to this "left over" problem:
This left over error is mostly affected by the set level XY. When the skyline isn't set level properly on the tilt axis then some of the pan movement is interpreted as roll. Look in the monitor tab on the software and move the gimbal to about 2 degrees tilt and 0 degrees roll. Press set level XY see if the problem is better or worse. If it's worse try moving the gimbal to -4 degrees and repeat.
Will try that now :)

Thanks, meme

Ok, I installed the skyline to the AV200 and the dummy pots. I downloaded and installed the Skline software 2.5. I also clicked on the link given in the manual for the usb to UART Bridge driver and downloaded and installed the same. I had done this earlier and i could see the "silicon laboratory.........." in the device drivers earlier. Now i thought i'll start fresh so i uninstalled the old USB to UART converter and the old software today.
But now i'm not able to install the USB to UART driver. I use windows7 32bit, so yes unzip the file "CP210x_VCP_Windows" from the link and double clicked the file "DriverInstaller_x86" it goes on smoothly heres the screen shot, but still nothing's working.
In the software when i try to select the com ports none of them work infact after couple of tries the software hangs.
Is it something i'm doing it wrong?????????

Regards,
AdashView attachment 7443

Attachments

• PS.jpg
    PS.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 238

nicwilke

Ok, I installed the skyline to the AV200 and the dummy pots. I downloaded and installed the Skline software 2.5. I also clicked on the link given in the manual for the usb to UART Bridge driver and downloaded and installed the same. I had done this earlier and i could see the "silicon laboratory.........." in the device drivers earlier. Now i thought i'll start fresh so i uninstalled the old USB to UART converter and the old software today.
But now i'm not able to install the USB to UART driver. I use windows7 32bit, so yes unzip the file "CP210x_VCP_Windows" from the link and double clicked the file "DriverInstaller_x86" it goes on smoothly heres the screen shot, but still nothing's working.
In the software when i try to select the com ports none of them work infact after couple of tries the software hangs.
Is it something i'm doing it wrong?????????

Regards,
AdashView attachment 9650

Just un-instal the drivers, and start again. Read all messages carefully. Give that a go, mine failed 1st time also, a while back.

tombrown1

Quick question:

When I tilt all the way down looking straight to the ground the tilt stabilization gets a bit confused. If it it is pointed down and the multicopter flies backward then it can't compensate past the 90 degrees and upon returning to level flight it shakes one time. This happens even on a slight backwards motion. Is this common? Any workaround for it? It makes it very difficult to get stable footage while looking straight down.

Thanks,

Tom

Just trying to bump this....

Is everybody able to get stable footage while looking straight down? While looking straight down my Skyline gets confused and then upset - and then starts unscrewing the plate screw because it's trying so hard to stabilize. Again, this is only really a problem when looking straight down while the hexacopter tail is pointed a bit down (traveling backwards).

Thanks,

Tom

nicwilke

Just trying to bump this....

Is everybody able to get stable footage while looking straight down? While looking straight down my Skyline gets confused and then upset - and then starts unscrewing the plate screw because it's trying so hard to stabilize. Again, this is only really a problem when looking straight down while the hexacopter tail is pointed a bit down (traveling backwards).

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,
The tilt axis bolt needs to be tighter. I had that problem, and when it releases, it's going to go nuts. I get reasonably good down footage.
Look at the sample in this straight down video.
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfTTq_PLlH0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/YOUTUBE]

tombrown1

Thanks Nic. Yeah, I've been tightening the hell out of it. So afraid I'm going to strip it. That's what I thought. Love your video! Beautiful shots - especially the straight down one.

Best,

Tom

I'm a little confused about where to plug my gimbal servos into my 9 ch receiver, using a JR 9303 transmitter with the Skyline RSGS. I'll be using only tilt and roll. I guess any two empty channels that I can assign to the slider switches on my transmitter will do?

Kari

Yesterday i wiped dust off my skyline and installed it on my AV130 again after few months shelf period. I have tuned my radians last weeks but i have to say i'm impressed about skyline now, it's working pretty well already. I get slight shake in roll in fast rough flight and horizon is drifting a bit when panning but horizon problem should be easy to fix turning aligning skyline module. I think i can get up even more with roll gains, tilt is pretty good.

edit: link fixed

tombrown1

Getting sooooo close to good vibrations...but just not there yet.

I'm running a WKM hex with an AV130/360 and a Skyline RSGS.

Here's what I know:

- Fly with the gimbal battery UNplugged - no vibrations on gimbal/camera.
- HOLD (not flying) the hex with the gimbal powered - no vibrations on gimbal/camera.
- Fly with the gimbal powered - lots of vibrations/shaking - especially during a smooth pan.

So how could I logically go about fixing this problem? Ideally I would have the Skyline plugged into the computer while I was flying so I could adjust gains real-time, but something seems unsafe about that.

Help!

Thanks,

Tom

p.s. I cross-posted over at RCGroups - hope that's not a faux pas.

WayneMann

Hi Guys,

Where do I find this new software 2.5. that I have seen referenced a few times and what does it supposedly fix?

Wayne Mann