Photohigher skyline rsgs

Blacksails

Please help me guys.

I fitted my new skyline tonight and followed the 1.1.6 setup to the T.

When I powered up and did autotune it threw itself to the very far end of the roll, and off of the gear. Very scary.

I then decided to try reloading the firmware but at the end of the firmware update it came up with:

"Unhandled exception" error saying " Value of 65535 is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'. Parameter name: Value."

Now it wont connect and comes up with this error whenever I try.

The blue light is permanently on whilst connected to the PC even though this error is popping up, but i cant change parameters, set level etc as everything is greyed out.

If i fire it up not connected to the pc tilt seems to work as it should but the roll servo is spinning constantly.

PLEASE HELP

DJIFlyer

Please help me guys.

When I powered up and did autotune it threw itself to the very far end of the roll, and off of the gear. Very scary.

I then decided to try reloading the firmware but at the end of the firmware update it came up with:

"Unhandled exception" error saying " Value of 65535 is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'. Parameter name: Value."

The blue light is permanently on whilst connected to the PC even though this error is popping up, but i cant change parameters, set level etc as everything is greyed out.

If i fire it up not connected to the pc tilt seems to work as it should but the roll servo is spinning constantly.

PLEASE HELP

Get out while you can (if you can):
I am very sorry to say that this product has been plagued with problems from day one. If this was sold to you recently I believe that whoever sold it to you had no business doing so in good conscience and I would recommend that you demand your money back. If you paid with a credit card you are protected because there is an endless amount of substantiating information out there to confirm that this product does not live up to its advertised abilities. I am stuck with mine as are many other people but if you can get out from under it you should probably so as soon as possible. For what its worth.

nicwilke

Please help me guys.

PLEASE HELP

Hey mate,
Did you auto level first? As a precaution, I had the tilt belt removed and had the roll servo loose for auto level, and then the auto tune seemed to roll the cage near to lock, indict took all my capacity to not unplug it. It didn't however spin off the gear rail. what you may need to do is take off the belt, loosen up the roll servo and gear by slackening the servo bolts. Once you auto level, then you can auto tune. Check you have the roll servo pot connected correctly, as the spinning could also be related to it not being connected.

cheers.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Chris: Thanks for this explanation. One last question, and only because you mention this battery pack: When someone says 'independent' or 'separate' power source does this mean that a separate BECs that are all working off of the same primary lipo do not qualify? Is this why you mention the battery pack so that it is truly separate or would separate BECs be alright and constitute separate power sources? When I first read about the H-loom it said that it would provide separate power to the RSGS and power going to the TWO servos. Based upon this I bought Two BECs. Now it sounds like I will need three unless of course I must use a battery pack as you suggested. If you would please clarify this for me and also tell me if you still feel that this action is necessary. Thanks.

I havn't tried separate BECS off the same supply. So cannot give a definitive answer. I am using battery packs in the first instance just to make sure the isolation is there. There is no need to use large heavy packs, I am using little 6v 800maHs from electricwingman in the UK which only weigh 65g.
Just for the record I am using a 1200mm octo so weight is not such an issue. An AV200 with 550D and sometimes a 5Dmk2. The Av200 is fine with either camera and I use the tray stiffener.

DJIFlyer

I havn't tried separate BECS off the same supply. So cannot give a definitive answer. I am using battery packs in the first instance just to make sure the isolation is there. There is no need to use large heavy packs, I am using little 6v 800maHs from electricwingman in the UK which only weigh 65g.
Just for the record I am using a 1200mm octo so weight is not such an issue. An AV200 with 550D and sometimes a 5Dmk2. The Av200 is fine with either camera and I use the tray stiffener.

Thanks Chris: I too have a 5D Mark 2, a new AV200 & tray stiffener but I have the considerably smaller S800 DJI. Wow, and I thought my 800 was big! I'd love to see a picture of your 1200. Thanks for the info on your power setup. I do have to be careful of my weight and balance as I do not have the luxury of such a robust bird so I will experiment with my light weight BECs and see how it works (keeping a common ground as you suggest). Thanks again and have a good weekend.

aknauer

Please help me guys.

PLEASE HELP

The two highlighted issues are likely to be related. To me it would indicate, that there is no Roll Pot signal going to the servo. Please double check your connections.
Have a look earlier in this thread for my detailed instructions for the firmware update and setup.
For Auto Tune to work, the servos have to be engaged and the pot outputs MUST be connected.

I am beta-testing the 1.1.7 - and it shows improvements, although not perfection.

Last edited by a moderator:

aknauer

I just had a very long discussion with Kim at PH.

He is fully aware of the frustrations everybody is experiencing and has taken several steps to rectify the situation in due course. He is very open to suggestions and places great importance on ultimately delivering on his promise.

Currently your skyline is stuffed because it's been corrupted. Possibly because you didn't have both servos plugged in.

I had the same issues with the software and Photohigher sent me a special version of the software that could install both 1.1.6 and 1.1.7

It took about 5 or 6 attempts to reinstall and finally I got it after using the special version to reinstall, then de-power the system and reboot the skyline.

Please PM me your email address and I will send you the version I used to get me out of trouble. It will probably take a few tries, but it will work and get you back to 1.1.6

Please help me guys.

PLEASE HELP

Blacksails

Currently your skyline is stuffed because it's been corrupted. Possibly because you didn't have both servos plugged in.

I had the same issues with the software and Photohigher sent me a special version of the software that could install both 1.1.6 and 1.1.7

It took about 5 or 6 attempts to reinstall and finally I got it after using the special version to reinstall, then de-power the system and reboot the skyline.

Please PM me your email address and I will send you the version I used to get me out of trouble. It will probably take a few tries, but it will work and get you back to 1.1.6

I managed to get it to function again by downloading the old 1.3 software and using it to load 1.6........ and then messing with it A LOT!
I'm now EXTREMELY happy with how the RSGS is functioning, running roll gain at around 600 and tilt at 390. It really does seem to be rock solid but hasn't flown yet.
Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quyUtJ2vTYA&feature=plcp

Cheers for the help guys. I was in a bit of a panic thinking id bricked it before even using it.

Forrest12

I managed to get it to function again by downloading the old 1.3 software and using it to load 1.6........ and then messing with it A LOT!
I'm now EXTREMELY happy with how the RSGS is functioning, running roll gain at around 600 and tilt at 390. It really does seem to be rock solid but hasn't flown yet.
Here's a video:

Cheers for the help guys. I was in a bit of a panic thinking id bricked it before even using it.

How smooth is your roll and tilt around center on both axis's ?
Eg. small slow amounts of tilt and roll, can you feel juttering through the frame where your holding it?

1.1.3 always worked the best for fast movement, but it came with plenty of other issues. How's your roll drift when you pan?

Here's a video:

Blacksails

How smooth is your roll and tilt around center on both axis's ?
Eg. small slow amounts of tilt and roll, can you feel juttering through the frame where your holding it?

It seems to be nice and smooth even with little movements.

Psionic,

I'm not running 1.1.3. I just used the software for 1.1.3 to "unbrick" or undo whatever it was weird that I did. 1.6 & 1.7 software wouldn't connect to it. It's fine now though.

That video is running on 1.1.7

Here's a video:

I am very curious to know just what you had to do to make your Skyline operate with gains as high as they are and what steps you had to take in order to achieve such satisfactory results. Wiring harness, dampening, separate power supplies, gyro gel under that IMU...??? There have been so may tips but I still do not know what has ultimately you to these solid results. It would be great if you could share this with us. Thanks.

Ab74

Oh wow! Can't wait to see your flying video.

It seems to be nice and smooth even with little movements.

Psionic,

I'm not running 1.1.3. I just used the software for 1.1.3 to "unbrick" or undo whatever it was weird that I did. 1.6 & 1.7 software wouldn't connect to it. It's fine now though.

That video is running on 1.1.7

Blacksails

I am very curious to know just what you had to do to make your Skyline operate with gains as high as they are and what steps you had to take in order to achieve such satisfactory results. Wiring harness, dampening, separate power supplies, gyro gel under that IMU...??? There have been so may tips but I still do not know what has ultimately you to these solid results. It would be great if you could share this with us. Thanks.

Nothing special. Just made sure my belts are gear meshing were tight, and added the felt washers to the servos. I added 2 washers to each servo though.

I then bumped the gains up to max and reduced them until the crazy oscillation stopped. I then reduced them bit by bit again until I could flick the tray and not set it off oscillating. The friction/damping caused by the felt pads really helps you bump up the gains and not have it freak out on you with oscillations. I know the washers seriously affect resolution, but I couldn't get it to perform like this without them. I think it's a necessary evil. I guess having two fairly thick washers there is damping the movements that cause the oscillation, just like DennyR's shock absorber....although that may be wrong. DennyR? I expect his absorber out performs this method.

Oh, I also balanced everything to the point that I was becoming obsessive about it!

I'm happy with where it is currently. I'll get a video of the flight test next week.....I'm guessing that's where we find out that it's tuned awfully and I have to come on here and tell you guys not to do what I did =S

nicwilke

I found the drive gear on the roll geartrack was a little loose, so moved it closer. that helps reduce the slop. I'm flying tomorrow and will get some video.

Nothing special. Just made sure my belts are gear meshing were tight, and added the felt washers to the servos. I added 2 washers to each servo though.

I then bumped the gains up to max and reduced them until the crazy oscillation stopped. I then reduced them bit by bit again until I could flick the tray and not set it off oscillating. The friction/damping caused by the felt pads really helps you bump up the gains and not have it freak out on you with oscillations. I know the washers seriously affect resolution, but I couldn't get it to perform like this without them. I think it's a necessary evil. I guess having two fairly thick washers there is damping the movements that cause the oscillation, just like DennyR's shock absorber....although that may be wrong. DennyR? I expect his absorber out performs this method.

Oh, I also balanced everything to the point that I was becoming obsessive about it!

I'm happy with where it is currently. I'll get a video of the flight test next week.....I'm guessing that's where we find out that it's tuned awfully and I have to come on here and tell you guys not to do what I did =S

Thanks for taking the time to explain all of this. I am pretty much in the same place but I placed just one simple felt washer under my tilt servo (not to tight as it seemed to create too much resistance) and then got most of my improvement by adding a rotary damper to the pivot point of the camera tray opposite the RSGS unit. It does an amazing job and creates a calculated resistance that is predictable and reliable. The trick is to get the right one... and that's why its called a trick, because that can be tricky :) I will be getting some video too in just a coupe of days and with post something. We look forward to seeing your video! Thanks again.

barnytj

I'm also slightly struggling with the RSGS.. I seem to get great results on the ground, but get an oscilation once airborne.

I am running a wookong M, skyjib 8 with AV200 and have a canon 7d mounted (at the COG).

I originally had really bad probelms with my tilt axis, and seemed to get these a lot better by reducing the gains and putting a small piece of foam inbetween the Skyline and its mounting point. Now I am still struggling with the roll - I get an occassional twitch (say one ot two a second) when airborne, although this isn't present at all when bench testing.

My current gains are 190 tilt, 165 roll..

Has anyone else encountered problems such as these that only occur in the air - and does anyone have any suggestions??

jes1111

As Denny pointed out a few pages back - one tends to forget that behaviour on the bench is very different to what happens in the air. On the bench, the airframe stays still and the gimbal moves. In the air the gimbal is effectively stationary and the airframe moves relative to it. Thus the contribution of gravity (not to mention, momentum, inertia and so forth) is very different for a flying craft compared to one sitting on the bench. Logically, therefore, "bench tuning" has to be tested/verified by the "in the mirror" technique at the very least.

btw - Interesting academic paper I stumbled on last night: http://alexandria.tue.nl/extra2/200412510.pdf - all about how friction can worsen limit cycling (a.k.a. jitters) :)

DennyR

I have mine running in direct drive now on the tilt axis. I decided the the elastic band drive had to go. I would have used a 8.4 volt servo from Hitec but the ref v. to the Pot is different so it doesn't work with Skyline so now using a Savox again. This could still be improved with higher volts but I think 6.5 is about all it will take. Although the jitter is gone there is still some interference on the tilt servo. It runs much hotter than the roll servo because of the this noise in the system. Disconnect the roll servo and the temp goes down. It looks now quite good overall but I still want more from it.