Photohigher AV200 PRO, Video Vibrations ?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi,

the Photohigher worked in a good manner even after the little crash I had and than repairing it again. Now since today I am experiencing vibrations during flight and test vids on the ground holding the kopter in hands and just moving it around. I checked the gimbal closely and can see that the whole camera is reacting like a spring to the lightest impact (can be seen in the vid). Is there something completely wrong with the gimbal now since when are they so prone to vibrations ?

Do you guys use plates under the camera did i miss something ?

http://sprealinvest.at/av200.mov

The props is fine when i bumped into it during the video the phone is scratched :)

thanks

Boris

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Boris,
It's tough to diagnose problems from afar. Unless someone else has had the same experience and can chime in I'd say just set the thing on a table, pour yourself a coffee and start pulling and poking at things to see where there is play. If there are any gears, a tiny drop of oil might help them mesh more smoothly. Look for slop in the servos, wear in any pivot points, loose screws....get your detective hat on and find a magnifying glass because that's what it may take to get it back to normal.
Try balancing the props again as well if nothing else turns up.
Bart

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Bart,

I am playing this game since a couple days and i think I really got all the mechanical parts right. The servos and all the movements are smooth. The problem seems to be like in the video that the actual plate on which the camera is attached is not stiff enough to take the weight of the camera. I dont think there is a big difference between a finger slightly bumping against the lense or movement or wind resistance acting on it. With the kit lens i am not experiencing these problems since the weight is less and the leverage effect ( hope that the right translation :) ) less.

But i will check it all again and start adding some plates to the bottom plate and try to stiffen it out.

Thanks !!

Boris

Bartman

with all of the camera mounts there is an overreliance on carbon plate. it's everywhere whether it's suitable or not. try making a replacement of 1/8" aluminum, 6061-T6 works perfect and it's light.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
japp thats what i will do. I will sort out some provisional setup tomorrow with some part to stiffen the plate out and if that works im going to do the whole plate new in a thicker material. Im of to tell my girlfriend why i wont have time for her the next couple days after work :)

Thanks !

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Boris.. . post a screen shot of your camera settings. Also how do you have the camera attached to the mount? Is it a large diameter camera screw? A large plate washer will spread the fixing point of the camera over more of the base plate. You may also want to look at some gel pads on the base of the camera to make sure all of the camera base is in contact with the base plate and not just a couple of raised points on the camera base..

In short it spread the contack points over a larger area on the base plate

Dave

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Dave

I think its a mixture of things. The camera screw is not good and the eos 500 with the bigger lense has to little surface thats actually in contact with the gimbal. I think the balance point of the camera is exactly over the axis of the gimbal.

Cam Settings:

mkk.jpg

Attachment/Screw to mount:

bal2.jpg

Balance point Cam:

bal1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
newest effect now, when i calibrate the MK the Photohigher gets something like an spasm attack it dosent really straighten out but does soem radon movement. 5 secs laters it returns to the leveled out position that it should be in. Not a great deal, but if i have a bigger lens on it and i tilts forward uncontrolled the lens meets the ground messing up the servos ?

I was reading in a different thread that you guys are all not down with the digital servos, should i change them ?

regards and danke :)

Boris

Bartman

boris,
my MKTR mount can't hold itself against a larger lens and tilts forward when the power is removed. Is yours tilting forward even with power? if that's the case then the servo is toast and you'll have to replace it.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
sorry i expressed myself in a wrong way. the cam gimbal dosen´t tilt forward after removing the battery. It can tilt forward heavily when it gets one of its spasm attacks after calibrating the FC. Happens everything fifth time about. It moves in any direction like that would be the neutral leveled position, then it remembers what actually the neutral setting are and levels itself out again and works perfectly except the mentioned wobbles.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
concerning the wobbles/vibrations i for sure know no that it only happens on the tilt axis. A fast movement up or down causes the wobbles.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
can one of you see any parts missing of the mounted tray ? plastic washer, maybe i lost something during repair or the several times i took it apart for testing etc.

[video]http://sprealinvest.at/balls.MOV[/video]

jes1111

I'm puzzled - does this mount not allow you to adjust the fore/aft position of the camera? You need to have the camera balanced within the gimbal (i.e. camera's centre of mass coincident with the gimbal's centre of rotation). When you remove power from the servos, the camera should not slump forwards - that indicates that the foreaft positioning has the camera's CG forward of the tilt pivot point.

I suspect that the jittering you are getting is because you're fitting a heavier lens and not adjusting the balance. You stated that the effect is less noticeable with the lighter kit lens - evidently that will be because the imbalance is less. Servos will jitter if the holding force you request from them is close to their operational limit. You could either fit beefier servos or, more sensibly, balance the camera within the gimbal on bot tilt and roll axes.

Or have I completely misunderstood your problem?

Regarding stiffness - I don't know your mount, but lack of stiffness could well be a problem. Not sure about Bart's statement of CF being inappropriate - it's exactly the material for the job: sheet CF is approximately twice as stiff as (good) aluminium of the same thickness. It's also not far different in density. So you have a choice: using CF you can have a plate that's half the weight of an aluminium one but just as stiff, or a plate that's twice as stiff but the still the same weight.

P.S. I can't see your movies - some plugin that refuses to activate (Chrome or Firefox).

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I'm puzzled - does this mount not allow you to adjust the fore/aft position of the camera? You need to have the camera balanced within the gimbal (i.e. camera's centre of mass coincident with the gimbal's centre of rotation). When you remove power from the servos, the camera should not slump forwards - that indicates that the foreaft positioning has the camera's CG forward of the tilt pivot point.

No no this was a miss understanding my camera never slumps forward. This only happens on some rare occasions, when the FC gets calibrated and sends some wired signals to the servos This results in some strange spams like attack and than the gimbal slowly goes to neutral position. In this case sometime driven by the servos the camera slumps forward with the bigger lens letting it slam to the ground.

I am aware that the balance of the cam is important and the balance point with the heavier lens is 1 or 2 cm into the actual camera case.

I suspect that the jittering you are getting is because you're fitting a heavier lens and not adjusting the balance. You stated that the effect is less noticeable with the lighter kit lens - evidently that will be because the imbalance is less. Servos will jitter if the holding force you request from them is close to their operational limit. You could either fit beefier servos or, more sensibly, balance the camera within the gimbal on bot tilt and roll axes.

I dont position the Camera once the smaller lens is attached on the same spot as with the heavier. I am aware of the balance point.

Check out the vids. If you have quicktime installed open the movie urls directly or if you have vlan or something similar copy paste the url into the player.

Thanks Boris

http://sprealinvest.at/av200.mov
http://sprealinvest.at/boden/boden.m4v
http://sprealinvest.at/flug/flug.m4v
http://sprealinvest.at/balls.MOV

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
ah and the photohigher is completly out of Aluminium and i am considering to add a CF plate or alu to the Whip to stiffen it out. Im also close to buying this and reconstructing and attaching it to the whip.

halter.gif

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Boris.. are you sure that there is as much of the camera base as possible in contact with the base of the gimbal. I use gel pads on my camera so I have as much of the camera base in contact with the base.. I dont have a problem like you have on my AV130 and canon 550D.

The pic you posted will not help unless the front monopod is also on the gimbal base.

The flying vid aint that bad but I am sure if you can ensure the camera base is well and truly in contact with the base it will be ok..

Dave

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Yes the camera is completely on the gimbal Yeah maybe your right also thought of given the gel pads a try. Which ones are you using. Wanted to order some but wasnt sure which ones.
One thing though i noticed if i squeeze something between the lens and the gimbal, putting some pressure on the lens the effect is reduced !