Tau Labs OP Developers banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

flitelab

Thanks Gary for pointing this out. The tricks continue http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...orinchief_ama/
I just want to indicate this is NOT my account posting there and I don't have a reddit account. It's pathetic that some people that can't create would prefer to destroy. I'm not really sure of another place to point out this wasn't me. That definitely looks like someone else's familiar line of rhetoric.

That is pretty low, using your online name to post like this, low but not surprised considering who it may be.

Rick~K

Free Bird
Strange, my CC3D flys great just using default setting. Maybe the latest release would help. :)

osnwt

www.LinuxDrone.org
Kinda sucks but I've been banned from the OP community after 2.5 years of heavy development. I guess that's what comes of not repeating the party line. Anyway, sorry you won't be able to get in touch with me there but you can try here. It happened to another developer too so I'm not sure quite how extensive the cutting has been.

Let me introduce myself as a newest member of “banned OP developer” group.

The trigger to ban me was the fact that I installed TauLabs Android GCS on my phone. And also the fact I said: “I see nothing funny in the video where TauLabs-powered quad crashed” – OP had the same problem with RELEASE-13.06 and CC/CC3D, and that was release, not a casual build.

Many things have been said and implied in just 24 hours that are untrue and hurtful to me and my family. Even names of my 16 years old daughter and one of core OP developers (not me) were used in dirty rumors spread around as a weapon against me.

For those who didn’t know me, I was a core team member of OpenPilot since July 2010 (3+ years). Most of my contributions were done in areas not visible to end users but to aid the development process. Something I did for the OpenPilot:

• suggested to add invertor to native Futaba S.Bus support, OP was the first project who had it;
  • wrote S.Bus protocol support;
  • rewrote DSM2/DSMX protocol support;
  • wrote well-known TxPID module;
  • rewrote and optimized CamerStab module with advance features after other devs;
  • did a lot of minor coding tasks here and there;
  • did a lot of small feature suggestions or implemented them – say, stick deadband;
  • was identifying user needs;
  • put a lot of bugs/issues/feature requests into JIRA bugtracker;
  • fixed some of them;
  • wrote common package installer framework;
  • wrote Windows NSIS installer;
  • did major Makefiles cleanup to make it easier readable and maintainable;
  • did some codebase reorganization (again, internal changes not visible by users but necessary);
  • devised and completed the process of EOL source code normalization to have the code cool;
  • devised and implemented the whole codebase reformatting using uncrustify according to project standards; the difficult thing here was to make easy to other developers to merge their code into reformatted branch, hence:
  • added support for local reformatting of code using the same tools on Windows/Linux/MacOS using the same config;
  • improved automated toolchain installation, now all platforms have it, and the most important is the Windows one, so even people who never compiled any program can get and build the whole GCS, firmware and installer in minutes;
  • built and maintained the automated build system (Bamboo server), all 4 platforms were automatically built on each commit;
  • was running 4 virtual servers as build agents for Linux 32/64/Android, MacOS and Windows;
  • did a lot of routine administration tasks in Wiki, JIRA, Bamboo;
  • wrote quite enough of Wiki articles;
  • created and pushed the development process workflow, including Wiki article and JIRA;
  • developed the release making procedure, terms and conditions;
  • participated in many architecture-related talks in core development team;
  • did some nagging of developers to complete features OP badly needed :);
  • did almost all release management since the first unnamed release in 2011 till 13.06.01;

I am happy with all contribution that I made to OpenPilot over the years. I met many nice people along the way. I look forward to contributing to other projects in the future and continuing to stay in contact with people I met through OP.

Thanks, guys!

kubark42

Oleg--

Man, as the first one to get thrown under the bus, I'm so sorry to see all this mess has spread to you, too.

Knowing what happened to peabody124 and myself when we were declared enemies of the OpenPilot state, I certainly give you the benefit of the doubt here. We can all be a little prickly from time to time, but what you describe steps past any moral bounds and is simply unconscionable.

Courage, and keep your head high. OpenPilot's reach doesn't carry far outside its community, don't worry for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisViperM

Hello

I have no experience at all with OP, but followed this thread from the beginning......it seems to me that all developers which have been banned are intelligent, skilled and very nice people. Reading the way osnwt has been treated, down to the lowest with involving his family, leaves a big question mark in my face.......

The trigger to ban me was the fact that I installed TauLabs Android GCS on my phone.
....that sounds worse than living under a totalitarian regime

I am not really behind the technical side of OP, but really interested how this project is structured and how it is possible that development members get banned and trated like sh*t. Is there some sort of little Hitler deciding who can stay and who is going to be banned ?
My impression so far from open-source projects in other fields was that - simply speaking - a group of enthusiasts work loosely together on a project, get next to nothing paied and try to develop that project further and further.....

Is there some sort of boss at OP, and how about banning the boss ?

Chris

DennyR

Better idea would be to ban the raving nutcase himself. You know with a W not a D.

All of the best people have now gone from there.

Was he ever a junior school teacher by chance?

Sorry to hear that Oleg. That kind of mentality that anything that isn't involving getting an OP tattoo on your *** is treacherous is what is slowly killing OP. It's been so much nicer since the fork to be able to acknowledge the good things other people do and try and learn from them or compare honestly.

Stop by #taulabs if you ever want to say hi. We're still having fun and doing good things. Check out sonar altitude hold: http://buildandcrash.blogspot.com/2013/08/tau-labs-sonar-altitude-hold.html . And yeah, when a quad crashes it sucks but you try and learn from it. Not mock it.

Anyway sorry again. It hurts a bit like a break up when you leave a community like that you helped grow but honestly as more people leave it's for the better of the wider hobby.

Flylite

Oleg, you were the glue behind OpenPilot along with Alessio, I know how much the project meant to you and I'm sorry it was your turn to get the wrath of DA.
At the end of the day, its his loss and I hope you can sink your teeth in something else that will give you joy to be involved with.
One has to remember that DA is a viscous person, he will make anything up at the drop of a hat to belittle someone or to get a crowd of support behind him - you only need to look at how frequent the moderators are changed out (for what ever reason) to see that there is a trust issue and worse still a malicious puppet master trying to pull strings.

Its not public but I will share, I left the project in disgust back in March. For no reason - my forum account was blocked, non of the mods knew why but DA told them to leave me banned.

I know that DA has spread a lot of untruths about why you have "left" the project, we all know what he does and how he goes about it. Karma will catch up with him.

James

Yeah Flylite, that's the truth. DA has a complete lack of integrity and sees the truth as fungible. Probably why he and Drone Savant get along so well.

BTW Oleg, I should have said respect to all the work you did. He, more than anyone, really was willing to dig in and do the behind the scenes stuff no one else did that gave OP that polish. Even if that did involve nagging devs :)

Flylite

Peabody124, sad but true huh.

While I'm here: http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/32794-server-issues/
Now I know when family if threatened or similar - some loose themselves a little, say things that they may regret even if there is no substance or actions meant - just anger spilling out (justified in this case).
Oleg would never do anything of the kind - its just smoke and mirrors to pull support to OP and to further belittle Oleg, Kind of ashamed of Greg but one has to remember - someones pulling his strings...

The thing with DA - give him and inch and he will blow it up to a mile, in this case he saw a way of getting support and blame away from him for his actions, so he pulls the plug on the server for a few hours and blames you know who... Smoke and mirrors.

Almost everyone I've talked to after they leave comments on how this cult-like mentality lifts and suddenly you notice how you got talked into treating people horribly and unfairly. I know I'm embarrassed of how I treated CheBuzz but at the time I was completely convinced.

Luckily he's a very understanding guy and actually started the non-profit (Omniloco) behind Tau Labs.

BTW sorry to multirotorforums that you guys are always our first stop to vent

Flylite

I'm just sad for the fact that most of the people who have had the wrath of DA really worked their socks off - day and night for the project for a very long time, just to be spat out like used gum.
All I can say is that OP is doomed without Oleg, I'm sure Alesssio (awesome guy) won't want to be next in the scopes....

Flylite

"Cult-Like sums it up perfectly."
Doesn't it, once your out or start thinking for yourself the hate campaign starts. Scientology anyone?

Spydmobile

4 Propeller Head
Oleg, Like so many others, I think it was an awful way to have to leave OP, but it seems you really had to leave. Life can only get better now.
Franco

Status
Not open for further replies.