Oh great... is this true? (registration)

Vermiform

We need an equivalent organization for commercial activities. I don't think it's a good idea for the AMA to step into that field; they've done a great job with the hobbyist aspect though (imho).

Sounds good. Make it so and post an address for us to mail our annual dues to.

Old Man

Considering there's been no release of design or capability from any of these players yet they're calling for the operational date, no, it cannot be good.

econfly

They know something we don't, and for what they want to do (automated flying, no LOS, etc.) the requirements/regs will be about as applicable to our needs as those that apply to commercial jets.

Old Man

Watch for the 2.4 band to become VERY saturated. At 2watts and clear line of sight you can stream real time clear digital video over 100 miles...

SamaraMedia

I don't see any good for us either. Just show the power brokers at work laying the ground work for their purpose which will infringe on our desires uses, but, if we are lucky enough they will charge us a few to use their carved out air space, frequency and avoidance systems. Good luck affording any of that. As OldMan has been preaching, big players and bigger money will rule this arena as well. IMO

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
we had a window of opportunity to hitch a wagon to Small UAV Coalition and it didn't go anywhere.... :(

Old Man

Something that may be of interest with the sUAS coming from the aerospace sector. The marketing. Perhaps we should note how the press releases are being widely disseminated, which heavy emphasis on the positive benefits for business and the public. Where the craft we use have virtually zero visibility in common readership media the aerospace stuff is blatantly plastered in favorable light pretty much everywhere. There is no negativity with comments about threats to public safety or privacy with the aerospace hardware. That's completely opposite of how the media presents our tools to the public. A very important distinction, and one that will, over only a very short period of time, condition the public to one type of sUAS being "good" and the other as being "bad".

Old Man

Or this? A bit whimsical, but I thought cool.

Whimsical indeed but you have to love the Flight Test crew. Talented, creative, passionate, non conforming, not afraid to think outside the box, and willing to try new things just to see if it can work. As a P.E. you're probably aware those are all things our young engineers today fall a bit short with. Get them going with some "hand's on" to build the fires of passion and creativity and their work can be done using the three letter word "fun" instead of the four letter "work". The end results of that transformation can be immense.

ProfEngr

Whimsical indeed but you have to love the Flight Test crew. Talented, creative, passionate, non conforming, not afraid to think outside the box, and willing to try new things just to see if it can work. As a P.E. you're probably aware those are all things our young engineers today fall a bit short with. Get them going with some "hand's on" to build the fires of passion and creativity and their work can be done using the three letter word "fun" instead of the four letter "work". The end results of that transformation can be immense.

I agree completely. I've spent over half my 40yr life making things do more than they were intended because that's what I had to work with or all I could afford. I think the best thing my dad did for me growing up was tell me I had to maintain my own vehicle (car, bikes, etc); as opposed to taking it to a shop for repairs. That taught me a lot about mechanical & electrical systems. I've been a tinkerer most of my life.

I just hope 'Regulation Nation' doesn't get in the way before I can travel down the sUAV avenue. MR FPV is quite possibly the closest thing to experiencing flight from a bird's perspective that I'll ever have. Does that make me a Superman wanna-be? :rolleyes::D