Oh great... is this true? (registration)

Old Man

I don't know about others but I have a tendency to gather lots of little pieces of what appear to be unrelated information and review how they might actually be distantly linked. IMO we have been getting fed a lot of media info that's providing the framework of long term planning that has a specific outcome, one that's not good for us/

Take the many media of near misses with sUAS by full scale aircraft and the clear scare mongering that is present in each article. Never mind that many of those reports are false. Toss in at least one media report of a full scale twin colliding with an sUAS that was never corrected to state the twin had actually had a bird strike. Add in the stories about how sUAS could be used for untraceable terrorist operations here in the U.S. Then we have the privacy violation implications so prevalent in the media. That one is actually possible if not likely but those stories were contrived, not actual. Essentially the media is depicting private use and ownership of sUAS as something that is undesirable and needing to be curtailed.

Open the next book and you have all the media reports of big aerospace projects presented in warm and glowing articles about how they will improve productivity and public safety, reduce delivery times for mega corporations servicing the public. Some of them even reference dates they will be placed in service. The public is certainly being conditioned via the media to accept one and reject the other, with much of the back ground and capability they need to know being omitted.

Toss in drone destruction devices and we might start to think the sky will belong to corporate America, government, and LEA's with any flight not conducted by them done only on a permission basis and restricted to relatively small, tightly controlled areas. Stray from that assigned area and be shot down, and arrested. Government loves drones but their use for them is not fun and recreation, or for the most part for commerce. They truly want them up and flying as soon as possible.

But all the above is just my opinion developed over 11 years of observation and assessment from a position inside the game. I could be wrong.

ProfEngr

Call me gullible, but the logic seems sound. "Ya pays ya money and takes ya chances" as they say. Probably won't matter within 10yrs the way things are going in a hand-basket in this country. The trajectory of govt regs is unsustainable at any level.

violetwolf

You're not wrong Old Man. Selling fear is BIG business. Manipulative practices like this go back to the dawn of mankind.

SamaraMedia

Found this article on Twitter - http://www.reuters.com/article/2015...rum-idUSKCN0SU2LN20151105#uuA5F08aIHc7exOW.97

I would bet that these conversations are going on during the current talks about registration and how they will integrate this technology into tracking UAV's in the US and possibly the world. I can see the bidding war starting now for bandwidth, next thing you know you'll have to purchase a data plan from a cellular network provider to communicate with your rig...

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Man

Like as not that "bidding war" got started 8 months or so ago. Me thinks Reuters "discovered" this information when the players decided it was a good time for it to be released. There were upper level FAA and corporate discussions covering the current state of frequency saturation that needed to be addressed before the BLOS players could start integrating their wares into the airspace. So the players need bandwidth for C2 and the governments needs a secondary means (additional to the BLOS systems) of watching and controlling low level civilian players. There's going to be a lot of data streamed from the BLOS group and you can be darn sure the government will be on the receiving end of most of it.

glider

Just to illustrate how internationally coordinated all the sUAS discussions are, the following is added for consideration.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/a...FGUAV-2015-1109-GLOBnews&sfid=70120000000taAj

Note the liberal use of the word "ruling" as in "rule over". Meanwhile, cars are registered, licensed and golly gee, some drunk chick plows into a crowd, kills 4 and injures dozens. Where is the outrage! Oh the humanity!

See, the government "cares". As a country dweller, I'm so pleased my tax money is being used so efficiently to protect the miles of woods surrounding my home and is going to make all these "rules" for my own protection. I was an AMA member way back when; they loved control then and won't fight it now if their planes are left alone. Sorry if that offended someone, but by and large the plane guys were a bunch of uppity snobs in that era at the fields. If you didn't fit in, you were pushed out. No, I wasn't pushed out. The two fields that were nearby are long gone, the way of the dial telephone.

Pong was my first video game, and we used punch cards in computer class if that helps identify my age :)

glider

I don't know about others but I have a tendency to gather lots of little pieces of what appear to be unrelated information and review how they might actually be distantly linked. IMO we have been getting fed a lot of media info that's providing the framework of long term planning that has a specific outcome, one that's not good for us/

Take the many media of near misses with sUAS by full scale aircraft and the clear scare mongering that is present in each article. Never mind that many of those reports are false. Toss in at least one media report of a full scale twin colliding with an sUAS that was never corrected to state the twin had actually had a bird strike. Add in the stories about how sUAS could be used for untraceable terrorist operations here in the U.S. Then we have the privacy violation implications so prevalent in the media. That one is actually possible if not likely but those stories were contrived, not actual. Essentially the media is depicting private use and ownership of sUAS as something that is undesirable and needing to be curtailed.

Open the next book and you have all the media reports of big aerospace projects presented in warm and glowing articles about how they will improve productivity and public safety, reduce delivery times for mega corporations servicing the public. Some of them even reference dates they will be placed in service. The public is certainly being conditioned via the media to accept one and reject the other, with much of the back ground and capability they need to know being omitted.

Toss in drone destruction devices and we might start to think the sky will belong to corporate America, government, and LEA's with any flight not conducted by them done only on a permission basis and restricted to relatively small, tightly controlled areas. Stray from that assigned area and be shot down, and arrested. Government loves drones but their use for them is not fun and recreation, or for the most part for commerce. They truly want them up and flying as soon as possible.

But all the above is just my opinion developed over 11 years of observation and assessment from a position inside the game. I could be wrong.

Think of all the jobs saved or created by all this policing!

Sorry, had to say it.