News Article - Two People Hurt

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
that made the news? one thing I dont like about my Wookong is that you cant unarm it from the tx like on the hoverfly. I realize once the motors stop for a certain amount of time you have to arm it but I like being able to disarm it as well.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
that made the news? one thing I dont like about my Wookong is that you cant unarm it from the tx like on the hoverfly. I realize once the motors stop for a certain amount of time you have to arm it but I like being able to disarm it as well.

If you want to disarm just do the motor start sequence while they're running, it will stop the motors and put it in an unarmed state where they can't be restarted without doing the CSC sequence again, if you have to move the control sticks to get the motors to start then the board IS disarmed. Once the motors have already automatically stopped and then you do the CSC they will startup again. If the throttle isn't all the way down when doing CSC then this is exactly the sort of thing that can happen and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was what did happen.

I'm pretty sure I see a DJI GPS on a pole in the picture so it appears to be a WKM flight controller. In the year plus that I've been flying WKM the only time something like this could occur was in the early days before they had arm/disarm functionality in the firmware and it still would have required something like hitting the failsafe switch by accident. Unless they're on a really old firmware version like one of the first 3 releases there's pretty much no way it could restart on it's own once the motors have shutdown either automatically or by using the CSC to stop them.

Ken

kloner

Aerial DP
the scenario didn't make since the way there reporting it. Something about 3 feet off the ground,,,, does that mean it was hovering there then shot up at somebody standing over it? or does it sound like it was on the ground, came to life and ate a guy 3 feet off the ground....... either way it got his tendons, that's a *****. very very painful

GlitchGR

Hmm well there's another story that will only make Multicopters and AP/AV look more menacing. It doesn't sound as though they were exercising proper caution in testing their copter. It's beyond me how people can assume that be it a copter or a car motor "it can't start because i told it not to" If you change something it's a safe bed it won't act the same as it did. That's how change works.

flitelab

I don't think anyone said the one in the pic was the one that had the accident did they? Merely speculation at this point.

The bigger issue may be they are operating a UAV AP/AV business when currently regulations in the US don't even permit such operations.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Yeah, I wasnt overly impressed with some of the work, but hey, it's all marketing in the end.

ken, I forgot about how to disarm the DJI, thanks for the reminder. I have become so used to the Hoverfly that I have to retrain my mind everytime i go to the DJI, which is why I want to sell it.

Mactadpole

I don't think anyone said the one in the pic was the one that had the accident did they? Merely speculation at this point.

No reason to think it wasn't either. Regardless, I just didn't want MK getting the blame. Have flown several controllers and the MK has been great (I will agree technically challenging at the beginning). It's all I own now.

3dheliguy

Man come on guys!!!... I cant even believe this got on the news, and Im sure this is great advertisement for you guys... And I laugh how people are bringing up the Mk, Or DJI... It comes down to safety and how you check your setups.

Note: To all you photographers this is why you need to learn how to work on RC. This little Hexa might gash you up a bit... but Come on... Im just glad these guys werent trying to fly a 700, I would hate to have that happen, and well say good bye to all this. Man, No flight controller is responsible for this, its always pilot error or setup error. I hate seeing this kind of stuff, and to top that report what you were doing to news agency.

I just dont get it, and I will be damned if some Noob pilot is going to fly there stuff around me. Photographers are Photographers, and RC is RC, have some respect for these things they arent toys, and shouldnt be sold to morons.

Sorry about the Rant I just see this happening alot more very soon, because people think these things are toys, and do dumb **** around them... Like stand close to them.

3dheliguy

I love how they make it sound life and death. These people need to learn how to do a stick command its very easy, and if they would have flown RC you would know always to be prepared to shut down your system at moments notice or atleast move out of the way.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Must have been a really boring day for this to get on the news.

... Note: To all you photographers this is why you need to learn how to work on RC. This little Hexa might gash you up a bit... but Come on... Im just glad these guys werent trying to fly a 700...

Ho hum. Yeah, yeah, okay.

Actually 3dheliguy I think we all 'know' you are a really hot pilot. In fact you have told us so often, in the three weeks you have been here, that I think we got the message some time ago! Not trying to be unpleasant but you can maybe throttle back on that now?

Yeah, I wasnt overly impressed with some of the work, but hey, it's all marketing in the end.

I agree. The name says it all. 'Camera In The Sky'. Nothing more and nothing less than just a camera in the sky. Crappy quality video, complete absence of production sense with quickly dated throwaway trendy music, and all dressed up in a dull, template-based web site packed full of good ole BS.

Last edited by a moderator:

chevota

ken, I forgot about how to disarm the DJI, thanks for the reminder. I have become so used to the Hoverfly that I have to retrain my mind everytime i go to the DJI, which is why I want to sell it.

I have a new HF Pro I'd trade for your WKM.

3dheliguy

I'm not trying to be rude... I'm just stating accidents like this shouldn't happen. It did o well I guess, I'm not saying I'm good cuz truthfully I'm not good at this MR stuff... But that kinda accident is all people need to turn something into more than what it really is. I just like to fly, and hang with people like minded, but in the US I feel our rights are being striped from us so easily, so all we need is more dumb stuff to happen because people don't take this serious.

Ranting sorry just makes me kinda sad. I just hope we don't get all this stuff banned in the next few years when this stuff really takes off.

Dewster

I guess we need a pilot, a spotter, and someone with a bat if this is true. No issues on my end except user error. Like not knowing how to interrupt an automated sequence RTH once started. Maybe the transmitter signal was lost and it went into fail safe. Hover, then climbs to 60 feet etc.

I think I will take a wooden stick with me on my flights or wear kevlar gloves when dealing with these craft.

flitelab

http://www.eagletribune.com/local/x85615940/Under-control

Looks like it was a WKM afterall.

This is interesting however, I thought the law was yet to actually be passed??
Proposki, who graduated from Northern Essex Community College, said his business has grown dramatically since February when President Barack Obama gave drone users a boost. Obama signed a new Federal Aviation Administration modernization law that allows unmanned aerial vehicles — including his helicopter cameras — greater access to United States airspace.
Put simply, the law allows Proposki to legally fly his camera drone below 400 feet altitude.

hjls3

Could this not have totally been pilot error? Accidently hit the left stick? Perhaps the FC had nothing todo with it. Funny that isn't a possibility??? Everyone reading this knows how easy that can happen.