Hoverfly Correct Setup?

Hi All,

I'm really starting to doubt my setup and I was hoping I could run it past a couple of you guys in the forum who has many more years experience than myself.

My Setup:
Cinestar 6
Cinestar 3 Axis Gimbal
AXI 2814-22 Motors
Turnigy Plush 40 Amp ESC's
APC 14 x 4.7 SF props
HFP Flight Controller
4Cell 35C 5000maH Battery

Camera: GH2

All up weight is 5.2kg/11.5pounds

The problems I'm having is as follows:
  • Platform is sluggish, not terribly stable in a slight breeze. (I'd like to think that I have my gains pretty well setup)
  • Flight time: max 4 mins on a single 4 cell pack
  • Motors get hot: my 3 forward motors get hot but I suspect this is because I have a very slight imbalance in my platform, it is slightly tail heavy.
I'm thinking of changing my props from 14" to 13" would this make a difference? If it would what is the main things this would affect?

Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Andre

StormRU

i have almost the same except I use Tiger Motors pancake MT4008 600kv, RCtimer 40a simonK, 2axis camera mount.

You need to use 2x 5000 to get better flight times and probably more efficient motors

StormRU

it is ok. but i have not had a chance to shoot a video yet. because built in roll compensation was not good. (haven't tested new firmware. it is raining all day here today) I have preordered Radian and waiting for it to arrive.

I have also some problems with GPS (may be a wire harness issue) + OSD does not work on my HFP :)
All the rest is ok ))

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm also struggling with the weather and time to test. I'm going to swop out my 14 x 4.7's with 12 x 3.8's which I have on the shelve to see if that does not make a difference. I know my payload is going to suffer but maybe it is worth while..

StormRU

I dont think that your instability problems are due to 14 props.
How did you mount your HFP to cinestar frame?

I was still meant to send you pictures, I made an adapter plate which picked up the MK controller mounting holes. The adapter plate is raised with spacers, about 6mm to allow cables to pass underneath. And then I joined my two battery trays together, therefore eliminating the four centre stand-offs. Does all this make sense? My setup still looks exactly like a cinestar with an MK controller with the Battery on top.

Yes I saw that, very neat solution. Do you always fly with two batteries? What flight times do you get, and lastly have you ever felt your motors to see if they get hot or not after a flight? I find my bell housings are cold but the core of the motors do get hot (as mentioned earlier I suspect it might be a slight imbalance in my platform).

StormRU

My motors and ESCs stay cool. I use 2x4500 or 2x6000. I dont know what flight times do i get. I haven't flown that much yet but I feel it is over 10 mins on an empty (no gimbal) frame. The ship airborne at 40% of the throttle

the 3 axis gimbal setup is slightly heavy to be running on a hex setup. I think it is more suitable for an octo unless you are running a really light camera like the NEX5. Does it fly nice with no camera?

cheers
CLM

Hi CLM,

The couple of time which I've flown it with no camera was pretty good, I have however not had a lot of flights yet as the weather has not been very forth coming and with all the setup work I've been doing nothing is really guaranteed.

What is your hex setup? Also Cinestar but with 2 axis gimbal?

Regards,

Andre

Howdy

I have a CS 6 Setup with 60amp ESC and 2826/12 motors. It would have a bit more power than your setup and I am running just the 2 axis gimbal and a GH2 with great results. I have carried the d7000 and t2i but that is about max for keeping the motors cool since I live up at 10000 feet. The only issue I am having now is the arming and flying in cold temps with my new setup. Old Octo was no trouble in the cold. New Hex does not want to arm. Then when I get it to arm I can fly for about 2 minutes and then the Heli will just drop for no reason. Then I try in warmer temps and it flies like a dream. Still working on this one.

cheers
Huck

PaNt

Hi All,

I'm really starting to doubt my setup and I was hoping I could run it past a couple of you guys in the forum who has many more years experience than myself.

My Setup:
Cinestar 6
Cinestar 3 Axis Gimbal
AXI 2814-22 Motors
Turnigy Plush 40 Amp ESC's
APC 14 x 4.7 SF props
HFP Flight Controller
4Cell 35C 5000maH Battery

Camera: GH2

All up weight is 5.2kg/11.5pounds

The problems I'm having is as follows:
  • Platform is sluggish, not terribly stable in a slight breeze. (I'd like to think that I have my gains pretty well setup)
  • Flight time: max 4 mins on a single 4 cell pack
  • Motors get hot: my 3 forward motors get hot but I suspect this is because I have a very slight imbalance in my platform, it is slightly tail heavy.
I'm thinking of changing my props from 14" to 13" would this make a difference? If it would what is the main things this would affect?

Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Andre

I have exactly the
Same setup but i use tiger motors 710 ... Also my lipos are 2x 8000 and my overall weight is 6900gr with 550d and it flys great... The Only think i did was a good prop balamcing and motor balancing.. The motors were good and i did them great.!!

workshop

Huck,

What props are you using?

I wonder if a couple of chemical hand warmer packs (REI and elsewhere) placed near the FCB will fix the cold weather issue?

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Guys,

I'm really struggling with motor temp issues, I flew over the weekend, first flight was 4mins and after landing the motors were really hot to the tough. Not the bell housing though that was cool, the hot part is the fixed part with the windings. My craft only weight 5.2kg and as mentioned it is a hex which brings us to the fact that each motor is only picking up 866.6grams. I did a test with a power meter and a scale and I got 8-9amps with a 1kg loading so now I'm very lost as to why the motors are getting hot as they are rated for 25amps (i know this is not continouos though).

Does anybody have any ideas? Has anyone actually felt the fixed armature part of their motors after flying?

I'm thinking of getting some round heatsinks and fixing them to the bottom of the motors just to get the heat flowing out into the airflow as I don't think the APC SF props are very efficient close to the shaft and therefore I'm not getting any cooling over the motors.

3dheliguy

Maytech ESCs probably are your Problem... Atleast thats what I Heard... I would send a message to "YeeHaaa" He enlightened me about it a bit, but I went for DJI, Witch maytechs seem to work well. Also Its sounds like it could be a timing issue... With Maytech I believe you typically have to set the timing for the motors, but Im not 100% on that.

Good Luck

Maytech ESCs probably are your Problem... Atleast thats what I Heard... I would send a message to "YeeHaaa" He enlightened me about it a bit, but I went for DJI, Witch maytechs seem to work well. Also Its sounds like it could be a timing issue... With Maytech I believe you typically have to set the timing for the motors, but Im not 100% on that.

Good Luck

Thank you very much for the advice, I'll try and get a hold of YeeHaaa and see what information he is willing to share. I was also thinking that it might be a timing issue, but I've not done the test yet. When I get a free minute and some good weather then I'm going to tackle that part of it.