New Release: Connex HD Video Downlink 3000FT $1599.

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
How would one go about changing to cloverleaf antennas?

The antennas are my only real complaint about the Connex... they really don't lend themselves to easy mounting on the gimbal setups I have. Plus those little connectors scare me, I can easily see them breaking... any ideas? I'd be truly thrilled if I could pop the transmitter off the gimbal as a single unit instead of having to disconnect the antennas (either from the TX itself, or from the gimbal).

For a permanent setup like on an FPV rig, they probably work great.

fltundra

How would one go about changing to cloverleaf antennas?

The antennas are my only real complaint about the Connex... they really don't lend themselves to easy mounting on the gimbal setups I have. Plus those little connectors scare me, I can easily see them breaking... any ideas? I'd be truly thrilled if I could pop the transmitter off the gimbal as a single unit instead of having to disconnect the antennas (either from the TX itself, or from the gimbal).

For a permanent setup like on an FPV rig, they probably work great.
Two MMCX to sma adapters mounted to the transmitter with two Bluebeam Ultra's opposite of each other with a Mad Mushroom and a couple of 3 turn helix's on the ground should be a huge improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Or you could try a Paralinx Array on the ground - the tomahawk its designed for uses the same base chipset as the connex, so I would assume it'll have the same effect... http://www.paralinx.net/store/paralinx-array

Thanks for this Shahar. I think my antennae are well placed- I spent a lot of time optimising them. Some days I get great range and others it can be poor.

Quick question, would adding clover leaf/skew plannar antennae pairs help at all especially if coupled to a patch antenna such as those offered by Fat Shark? Makes a massive difference on the 5.8GHz SD links.

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
Oddly enough, our Teradek Bolt 2000 got far less range using cloverleaf antennas. Signal is rock solid with the stock whips. No idea why that is...

fltundra

Oddly enough, our Teradek Bolt 2000 got far less range using cloverleaf antennas. Signal is rock solid with the stock whips. No idea why that is...
The Teradek is using multiple-input and multiple-output, or MIMO. Don't have any experience with it, but there has to a way to improve it using left/right hand polarizations. But then again I may be wrong.

elossam

Can some one write about which recording modes of the GH4 are compatible with the connex and/or which ones not? Thanks

Can some one write about which recording modes of the GH4 are compatible with the connex and/or which ones not? Thanks

Hi Elossam,

Here-under you can find the CONNEX Users Guide. In page 48 you have a list of supported resolutions.
http://connex.amimon.com/sites/connex/UserContent/files/Amimon CONNEX User Guide - English.pdf

I have a GH4 in my lab, and it's working fine with CONNEX.
Please note that it looks like the GH4 does not have an EDID mechanism implemented to it, so if you configure it to output a resolution your monitor does not support, you will not have video. Therefore, I suggest to test it first on a direct link (camera directly to monitor) and add the CONNEX in between once the video link is established.

elossam

Thanks Sahahar. Will check it tomorrow once the suspected GH4 and connex arrives from the owner to see what fails in their combo.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Hey guys, I know I am supposed to be doing a review of my unit, but I've been so busy I haven't had time. I can say that so far in 5 commercial jobs the Connex has performed FLAWLESSLY. Like I could not be happier.

AS soon as I get some time I'll be doing a video'ed example.. but DAMN... GOOD STUFF!

Just broke an antenna moving from one gimbal to another... They are indeed fragile! Best get some spares!
Hi,

AMIMON is providing accessories kits, including spare antennas to its re-sellers. If your CONNEX re-seller can not help on this matter, please send me a private massage with the re-sellers name and I'll make sure you can get back to work with your CONNEX ASAP.

Hi,

AMIMON is providing accessories kits, including spare antennas to its re-sellers. If your CONNEX re-seller can not help on this matter, please send me a private massage with the re-sellers name and I'll make sure you can get back to work with your CONNEX ASAP.

Thanks, great support. Heliguy already have stock and I'm getting some spares tomorrow - so all good!

Jjjkkklll

Hey guys, I know I am supposed to be doing a review of my unit, but I've been so busy I haven't had time. I can say that so far in 5 commercial jobs the Connex has performed FLAWLESSLY. Like I could not be happier.

AS soon as I get some time I'll be doing a video'ed example.. but DAMN... GOOD STUFF!

Really curious about your thoughts on the Connex versus the Tomahawk with array.

We've had a tomahawk and array for about a year and it's been absolutely solid. We love it and our clients love it. But if connex gets us the same perfromance, I'd love to sell our Tomahawk, put the excess capital into other gear and buy the connex.

What are your thoughts? Anyone else have a Tomahawk for comparison?

Maybe I should just buy the connex and compare. I can't believe how cheap it is. Wonderful.

maxwelltub

I think many of these TX have the same guts. So for example the Tomahawk and the bolt 2K have the same performance, as does the Connex. I haven't used the connex yet but I've used the other two next to each other and they where exactly the same. A lot of the difference comes down to the interface, I find paralinx to be much easier to set up then Teradek and from what I hear Connex has a similar easy setup.

hexhome

Television Broadcast Engineer, SUSA operator
We couldn't achieve the same solid reliability of the Tomahawk. Possibly due to HDMI issues. I know others have had similar issues. SDI output is pretty important to broadcast applications and Amimon would seem to be restricting themselves to HDMI only.

Really curious about your thoughts on the Connex versus the Tomahawk with array.

We've had a tomahawk and array for about a year and it's been absolutely solid. We love it and our clients love it. But if connex gets us the same perfromance, I'd love to sell our Tomahawk, put the excess capital into other gear and buy the connex.

What are your thoughts? Anyone else have a Tomahawk for comparison?

Maybe I should just buy the connex and compare. I can't believe how cheap it is. Wonderful.

We sold our Tomahawk because we couldn't get anywhere near the advertised range, we were quite disappointed with it, albeit, we didn't have an array, and also we came to realise that the EU Tomahawks were restricted to 25mw power output. Now the Connex has been a different story, we've had great range and very little issues. Plus we could buy two for the cost of the Tomahawk!

I think many of these TX have the same guts. So for example the Tomahawk and the bolt 2K have the same performance, as does the Connex. I haven't used the connex yet but I've used the other two next to each other and they where exactly the same. A lot of the difference comes down to the interface, I find paralinx to be much easier to set up then Teradek and from what I hear Connex has a similar easy setup.
It's true that Bolt, Tomahawk and CONNEX all based on AMIMON's technology and chip-sets. Nevertheless, on both Tomahawk and Bolt you will not be able to extend the range above 2k feet (o.6km). CONNEX can reach 1km in LOS (Line Of Sight) conditions.
CONNEX also offers S.BUS support and MAVLink telemetry support, on top of a built in basic telemetry.
It's also true that CONNEX comes with HDMI connectors only (no SDI interface).

Vermiform

It's true that Bolt, Tomahawk and CONNEX all based on AMIMON's technology and chip-sets. Nevertheless, on both Tomahawk and Bolt you will not be able to extend the range above 2k feet (o.6km). CONNEX can reach 1km in LOS (Line Of Sight) conditions.
CONNEX also offers S.BUS support and MAVLink telemetry support, on top of a built in basic telemetry.
It's also true that CONNEX comes with HDMI connectors only (no SDI interface).

Has the CONNEX been tested with any HDMI to SDI adapters like the Blackmagic Portable? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...dGlmXBr9BEaAiYQ8P8HAQ&is=REG&m=Y&A=details&Q=