Hoverfly New Hoverfly PRO Firmware v4.6

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
This issue is not specific to Hoverfly. Every compass in every multi-rotor needs to be calibrated. Nor is our compass particularly sensitive. Any flight controller with the compass placed in the same position on the same setup would experience the same issues.

Motors should not be running when you calibrate the compass. Calibrating the compass really isn't that difficult. With some of the larger multi-rotors, you will need a helper. It really shouldn't take more than 5 minutes and is a one time thing.

Precisely... What is it about the magnetometer that HFT is using that makes it so untrustworthy and difficult to calibrate? I know of no other vendor that is making it's users spin large craft in open fields to calibrate magnetometers. Doing the HoverFly Compass Spin will be challenging with the motors running. Props on or off? :)

Going external with the magnetometer is one way to work around the problem. There seems to be a readjustment and learning curve with each version update that over time, I am less and less inclined to test.

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
The gyro calibration should not have to be done again. Sometimes, I will suggest it as part of the troubleshooting process. However, most users can ignore this kind of thing.

-George

Would it be worth taking the board off the heli to do this or does that defeat the purpose? If it was done at the factory why does the gyro cal have to be done again?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
just did a quick 5 minute flight with new firmware and temp/accel calibrations, it flies as well as it ever has. no GPS in place yet but maybe this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

bart

Efliernz

Pete
4.6.r2 - I'm still unhappy with the AH. I have tried all manor of settings but they either drop 2-5M before steadily coming down or if it does stay, it only does it for a few seconds before slowly descending.

Has anyone achieved a good 30 second AH? I know it is important to be almost level + hovering but this is hard to tell at 200'

Pete

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
Have you checked your barometer in the setup client? Each tick is 1ft. It should move (slowly) as you move your HoverflyPro.

Most of the time I engage altitude hold at eye level. It basically stays there.

Also, is your artificial horizon level?

Is this only with the one board? You had said earlier that you had a second board that was working with AH.

4.6.r2 - I'm still unhappy with the AH. I have tried all manor of settings but they either drop 2-5M before steadily coming down or if it does stay, it only does it for a few seconds before slowly descending.

Has anyone achieved a good 30 second AH? I know it is important to be almost level + hovering but this is hard to tell at 200'

Pete

Krzysiek

I have the same issue. I did test in setup and all was good besides altimeter. I was moving my craft +/- 0.5m (up and down).

yeehaanow

This issue is not specific to Hoverfly. Every compass in every multi-rotor needs to be calibrated. Nor is our compass particularly sensitive. Any flight controller with the compass placed in the same position on the same setup would experience the same issues.

Motors should not be running when you calibrate the compass. Calibrating the compass really isn't that difficult. With some of the larger multi-rotors, you will need a helper. It really shouldn't take more than 5 minutes and is a one time thing.

I re-calibrated with a friend helping and I'm still seeing the compass go crazy like before. It basically lags the reading then jumps to it. On a fast ascent and FFF it spun from 15 to 153 with no heading change of the copter. Not sure if it's really applicable to this topic and I have a support ticket too. Here's my setup-

Attachments

• CS8 mag iinstall1.jpg
    CS8 mag iinstall1.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 236

Photronix

Pilot
If possible I would move the video transmitter to the other side. Also make sure all SMA connectors to antennas are tight. The external magetometer wires going under the video transmitter is probably not a good idea. Just a few suggestions.

yeehaanow

My Vid Tx is on the other side. You can just see the antenna on the far right of frame. What you see there is the RC rx. (EzUHF) it doesn't transmit, only receive so I thought it was ok.

workshop

The EzUHF 8 channel receiver can also be configured to transmit although the designers have not implemented this feature:

From the v1.18 Manual:
"8 channel, bi-directional, with Antenna Diversity
This is our high-end receiver, which has the hardware support for a bi-directional link (NOTE: Firmware support for this will be added during the Summer of 2010)"

I've had better luck with the 8ch. Lite version of this receiver on crowded multicopters.

The 8ch. Is great for long range > 1-2 miles. I see that you have it set up for polar diversity but you may be flying too close to yourself to take advantage of that feature.

Jeff

PaNt

I have to add that on R2 when you disable the ACC and Temp calibrations the horizon on general menu is not OK.. You have to do the calibrations and then it will be ok..!

And a question to the HFP staff... Guys my TX is Futaba 12FG on endpoints i can go from 30-140% i cant go 0..!I see a lot of people with the new AH that put gain near zero 5-10 what can i do for this??

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: