Hoverfly New Hoverfly PRO Firmware v4.6

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
Sorry, I want to make sure this is super clear because it's very important. Everyone needs to go to Hoverfly's site and manually download the new setup client. The version of the setup client HAS to say v4.6.0.2. If it doesn't, your accelerometer calibration will not work correctly!!
http://www.hoverflyupdate.com/setupClient4.6/publish.htm

View attachment 8000
Can someone that is having horizon issues confirm that they have done this and have v4.6.0.2 and have run the accelerometer calibration with it?

Thanks,
George

Attachments

• version..jpg
    version..jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 299

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
The automatic update you get just makes the old setup client show you an error message if you are running v4.6.

Autolevel always uses the gain that you see listed for main gain in the setup client. It sounds to me like your gain is just a little too high.

I did notice a new set-up utility downloaded when I launched it today. And Yes, My compass is facing the correct direction now.
I am struggling a bit with tuning. Even in calm conditions I am not finding the right gain. Today I had a bit of a gusty breeze and really fought it. I am getting horrible oscillation (slowish on my octo), but when I turn down the gain I get Yaw issues and a feel I loose control. I have not found the sweet spot yet and feel I lost that rock solid HFP feel. But, on the last flight today I had gain turned all the way up to a 99 gain (as seen in the set-up).

GPS hold is doing much better with the External Mag. This is the good news! It actually hold within 10-15 feet with slow drift (in the wind) It just does not fly smooth in GPS hold as it bounces around. I think it is oscillation, but hard to tell with the 1000mm octo. So, I have tried to tune the gain while the gps is enabled without success today.

Now the QUESTION: I noticed in the set-up utility that when I turn on gps PH, the checkbox is marked for Position Hold and Autolevel. But, the main gain stays at the same number as it is set in standard (Auto Level off) flight. Does this mean it is in AL, but the gain is based on the Auto Level Off settings? Tomorrow I will try to fly with the Mag hold unchecked to see if that effects my lower gain flight characteristics. Although we are forecast to receive up to 8 inches of rain in teh next 24 hours. (Think my octo can carry me out of here if needed )

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
Sorry to hear this. Can you confirm that you have used the v4.6.0.2 setup client to do your accelerometer calibration?

The stability / oscillation you mention... I nearly had the hexa flip last night in 10mph wind - while trying to trim AL. I have previously flown in 20+mph with 4.3. I was blaming myself for pushing it. Perhaps not...

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
In terms of the bouncing you are seeing, you should probably reduce your gain a bit to get rid of it. v4.6 has a new piece of code with gets rid of high frequency jitters, but the gain may need to be lowered.

This was mostly in Manual mode although I tried AL for a few seconds and PH. Both were wobbly and bouncy. I have had that same yaw issue and that is what I was speaking of when I mentioned the Mag. I agree, next calibration will be with a second person to keep the large Octa in an evan plane.

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
It does sound like a calibration problem. Make sure the axis of rotation is always perpendicular to north. If it's parallel, you will get a bad calibration. Then things like what you describe could happen.

Were you flying in manual mode or with AL/ GPS on?
Have you tried RTH with 4.6?

To add to my previous experiences, I have had an issue in the past where my copter will suddenly yaw 30 degrees or so, and the throttle jumps. This was in the prev firmware as well, I should add. The same thing hapened on my test flight before.
I now see that on the OSD it shows my heading constant even though I'm yawing, then it will suddenly spin through the numbers and produces the uncommanded yaw. Thought the external mag would sort it out, but apparently not.
Maybe I need to recalibrate with a friend, as it was impossible to keep the big octo from a wobbly rotation.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
George,

Other than the HoverCLIENT you're inclined to say firmware 4.6 is safe?

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
Yes, it's been tested by me personally on everything from a little micro quad to a giant Erista sized Octo. I haven't seen anything yet to suggest there is an issue in the code. The setup client issue has also already been fixed in v4.6 r2

George,

Other than the HoverCLIENT you're inclined to say firmware 4.6 is safe?

Last edited by a moderator:

Efliernz

Pete
Sorry to hear this. Can you confirm that you have used the v4.6.0.2 setup client to do your accelerometer calibration?

I have downloaded 4.6.02.
I have so much doubt (in what I have done) after flashing 10 times in 4 days - starting with 4.6, changing to 4.6r2, rolling back to 4.3.860 (where after redoing calibration I have a 45-deg horizon - 3 attempts) therefore I am starting from scratch tonight - where I will document each step.

Pete

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
Just to save you time. Here is how you should proceed.

Flash v4.6 r2 to both the HoverflyPro and HoverflyGPS. Pay particular attention to the program switch positions.

Disconnect the USB cable from the HoverflyPro and re-connect it. When the HoverflyPro's LED is flashing red, it is calibrating the gyro. It must remain perfectly still when this is happening or your horizon will not be level. Anytime the HoverflyPro's LED flashes red, it must remain absolutely still.

Connect your HoverflyPro to the setup client via the pro info tab. Check that the firmware version says v4.6 r2 and that the LED is flashing purple.

Repeat both the accelerometer and temperature calibrations. Make sure the check box is checked for both after calibrating.

Connect to the setup client under the general tab. The horizon should now be level when the HoverflyPro is level.

I have downloaded 4.6.02.
I have so much doubt (in what I have done) after flashing 10 times in 4 days - starting with 4.6, changing to 4.6r2, rolling back to 4.3.860 (where after redoing calibration I have a 45-deg horizon - 3 attempts) therefore I am starting from scratch tonight - where I will document each step.

Pete

Efliernz

Pete
Thanks for the explanation George.
I have tomorrow off "work" so I will try to get this sorted.

I may not have cycled the power between flashing and calibtation and most probably moved it ;)

Cheers

Pete

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
To me, it looks like the compass wasn't calibrated correctly. I just tried it on my test rig and I didn't see the same thing happening. You may want to disable the mag hold in the setup client until the problem is resolved.

You should calibrate the compass, then verify the calibration through your OSD. You can do this by turning the quad 360 degrees slowly. The compass should indicate the correct heading all of the way through the rotation.

It's a little difficult to describe the calibration process, but it's important that it is done correctly.

https://hoverflytech.zendesk.com/en...libration-for-the-hoverflygps-v-4-3-and-above

I've added a bit more detail to the pictures. Hopefully it helps.

I have a new ticket in just now.

Not sure if this is related to 4.6 because I had it in the prev firmware too. Anyone experienced this? See youtube notes for times of the sudden yaw and corresponding compass swing.

http://youtu.be/Jyb9RJG1auE

Stacky

Ive just had a short burst in the backyard with 4.6r2. A bit gusty and I only have time for a quick battery. I didnt have any problems but didnt really do much apart from cruise around gently. AL worked fine as did manual mode. I didnt try AH as i didnt really have enough space there, I will try and give it a spin tomorrow if the rain stays away.
Cheers

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Would it be worth taking the board off the heli to do this or does that defeat the purpose? If it was done at the factory why does the gyro cal have to be done again?

JZSlenker

Yeah, I can blow that up.
Would it be worth taking the board off the heli to do this or does that defeat the purpose? If it was done at the factory why does the gyro cal have to be done again?

No, do not remove the board to calibrate the mag. You want to calibrate it on your bird with all accessories (gimbal, camera, etc). You want to calibrate the mag with your birds inhearent magnetic fields present.

The reason the accel needs to be redone is most likely the recent change in how AH and AL use all sensors now.