Increasing throttle causes proportional yaw?

Pelted

Trying this question again since its been a few days and more tweaks and I still can't get it worked out. Quad, with NAZA and TBS ECSs and 750kv motors. Currently using APC 10" props since I jacked up one of my Graupners heating up the prop-adapter to get the damn loctite off.

I've balanced the props 3 times now, they are damn near perfect from what I can tell. CG seems pretty spot on too, and I've remounted the NAZA a few times with different mounting tapes. Manual, ATTI, or GPS mode if I increase throttle I get a right yaw. The harder I increase the throttle the more the yaw. I've thought of just countering it with a mix in the Tx but I would much rather understand what is happening. This did not happen until I changed frames from the f450. All other flight characteristic are great and I've got maybe another 10 packs of flight time with a few really hard and fast flights.

Here is a pict of the setup.
View attachment 7417

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 353

Pelted

its not prop balancing. try increasing the yaw gain first and see what happens

I was at 120% on the yaw gain. Last night I set one of my Tx dials to channel 7 and set that (x2) for yaw gain control. At lunch I'm going to take it to a park and just crank on the dial and see what I get, but I couldn't tell much difference from 90 to 120 when I set the numbers manually yesterday. I did notice faster yaw response at 120 but throttle was still causing the rotation.<style id="_clearly_component__css" type="text/css">#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; } </style>

Stacky

Check that all your motors are mounted flush. You can do this by using a small level. First check the frame plates and arms are level, then you can use a cd or dvd on the motors to hold the level and see if they are flush level.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Yeah, it sounds like one of your motors is at an angle, so it's creating yaw thrust. I'm surprised the Naza can't compensate, however, unless it's really bad.

Pelted

I didn't get a chance to get out before dark dark last night to try the live gain adjustment, but I did set the quad down and and check for level. Those damn things are pretty spot on. Once I found a nice bit of level garage floor I set a camera bubble level on each boom right out at the motor and the things are pretty dang leveled up. Visually I didn't really think that would be the cause, but heading your all's advice I thought it prudent to check. Gains today for sure, and yea I would have expected the NAZA to compensate too.

What about a motor running inefficiently, or something wrong with one? I don't have any reason to suspect one, and the all seem and sound fine while manually turning and spinning up. I'm not see any vibration in hover and standing right at it, or from a camera mounted to it.

E-Copter

Hi

something maybe stupid but... Have you checked the channnel monitor on your transmitter to check the yam potentiometer of the transmitter is doing good and not giving ome inputs ?

Could be also a bad vibration from a motor ( bent shaft) ?

Best regards,
Fabien

Pelted

Well I managed some fly time last night with the dial set to directly adjust the yaw gain. I also checked that the Futaba Tx has no mixing setup. The same model settings are being used for my mini KK2 board quad as well that doesn't exhibit this issue.

What I've found, increasing the yaw gain a bit more and I don't get quite so much yaw when increasing throttle. In fact nearly none, but hat I've noticed is the real yaw is when pitching forward. I guess I'm used to pitching hard forward and increasing throttle at the same time for fast forward flight. The the pitching is causing the right rudder rotation. When any simi quick forward flight it twists right and I'm pretty quickly fling 45 degrees sideways.

As for bent prop shaft, no crashes and no drops. I descended in the grass a little hard the other day onto the gear but it was already doing this. I had some difficulty getting my prop adapter in one motor off the other day because of loctite so I had to heat of the tip of the prop adapter which messed up a prop that I tossed out and replaced. I was very careful with the TBS 750 motor in this processes which is why I heated it up rather than prying to hard.

Visually and spinning by hand I don't see or hear anything different between the motors. I'll have to read up on how to check these to see if indeed a motor shaft is the problem. No clue yet how to check that. I recall a thread about balancing motors and an I phone vibration app. I guess that's my evening.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I don't know much about the Naza, but could it be some kind of magnetometer problem? Interference or badly calibrated?

Pelted

Well I've spent a lot of time on this the last few days, lots of tweaks then fly then tweak then fly. What I have fond, first one of the motors is not spinning straight. I took the prop off and looking straight down i can see the 5mm shaft wobble. Very strange. That arm also has the most vibration when placing my iPhone on the arm with no props and throttling up. The motor turns smooth, so this is odd but good to know. I also increased the gain even more and settled at about 134 for the yaw gain and this pretty much compensates for the issue with APC props. When I put the Graupners back on the gain is not enough but any more and it gets all twitchy. So, until I can get a replacement motor I'm taking it easy with this thing.<style id="_clearly_component__css" type="text/css">#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; } </style>