My first FPV experience... I am SO stupid and ashamed

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
huh just did my first FPV ever still shivering a little but the naza really makes it easy now i cant decided to stay cool and switch back to the CC or stick to the NAZA were the whole game is easier.

Boris

Last edited by a moderator:

tstrike

pendejo grande
Man, it looks nice in Vienna right now. Were you using a gopro for your fpv cam or did you have a spy cam onboard? What was the sketchiest thing about the whole experience? (I ask because I'm heading to the post o pick up my package of cheap chinese fpv gear this morning)

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Im Using the Gopro. Problem at the beginning to adopt to is getting the perspective right and to catch on how far away you are from stuff. I guess thats probably very different with a spy cam or a Gopro. But Naza takes one variable out of the equation and thats dealing with throttle so pretty quickly i felt confident to hover arround. I held my self back from starting to fly in curves although i had the urge, but i will keep that when i get to a open field.

Boris

aWanderer

Im Using the Gopro. Problem at the beginning to adopt to is getting the perspective right and to catch on how far away you are from stuff. I guess thats probably very different with a spy cam or a Gopro. But Naza takes one variable out of the equation and thats dealing with throttle so pretty quickly i felt confident to hover arround. I held my self back from starting to fly in curves although i had the urge, but i will keep that when i get to a open field.

Boris

Are you using goggles or a screen?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I am using goggles you can see me like an idiot sitting in the video with my head down and the remote up :)

Boris

RCNut

Boris
Nice first flight Boris. It adds extra pressure when you do your first FPV in the garden with all those obstacles around you - especially with your wife watching from the doorway ;-)

FlyEYE

I`ve had my 1st experience yesterday. I tried the goggles for a minute, too difficult to judge things so I hooked up the gear to a monitor and flew switching from monitor to real view until it felt more comfortable. I ended up putting out a kids toy as a focal point and just tried hovering keeping it in view. Pretty difficult with a little wind. The hardest part was throttle control. Crazy winds for the few days so I`m grounded :(

RCNut

What goggles are you using FlyEYE. I found (for me anyway) I need reasonable resolution (640 x 480) for hovering otherwise it seems to take me longer to respond to changes in position. In fact good goggles reduces the load considerably in all aspects of FPV flight. I also found it was easier getting used to FPV through forward flight in an open space first, then practicing hovering once I'd become more comfortable with the view. Even now my hovering response in FPV is still slower than normal.

Heres an example. While I was flying FPV last weekend the guy beside me suggested I filmed him flying his blade mCP X so I flew back and filmed a few seconds then flew off again. I'm sitting on the right in the shade of the tree with the ground station in front of me. I was concentrating more on the Blade mCP X in front of me and responding to it rather than the surrounding movement clues but you can see my slow reaction times through the goggles. Im not 21 any more though so maybe its just me but Ive reached the age where I now need reading glasses and I find I suffer the same lack of concentration when trying to read without the glasses as I do when flying FPV with poor visibility. If the image isnt crisp and clear my brain has to work much harder to get me the information which slows down my reaction time.

FlyEYE

I'm using the HK fatshark predators. I ran through 3 batteries this morning (wind was low!) solely on the goggles. I think I'm getting it. Did a couple flights flying out about 50 feet then back all the while keeping in mind why this thread was started. Kindoff neat/disconcerting seeing yourself through it's eye. What camera are you using RCNUT?

aWanderer

Sure glad I started this thread. The responses and input have been VERY helpful. I can't wait to rebuild and give it another go. I think my results will be very different as a result of this forum.

RCNut

I'm using the HK fatshark predators. I ran through 3 batteries this morning (wind was low!) solely on the goggles. I think I'm getting it. Did a couple flights flying out about 50 feet then back all the while keeping in mind why this thread was started. Kindoff neat/disconcerting seeing yourself through it's eye. What camera are you using RCNUT?

I haven't tried the Fatsharks but Im told they're good.

The camera is a GoPro.

kloner

Aerial DP
i've got the predators and a gopro, works killer in 960 mode...... full frame, has a huge FOV. in 1080 medium wide is like the fatshark ccd killer cam, 1080narrow is just too zoomed in for me to fly with. can't see anything. nice thing about quad and the 960 is it's a tall SD format, so when you are going fff, you can still see the horizon, a little