My brushless gimbal result

olof

Osprey
rwskier,

Nice video but the horizontal hunting is very distracting, I bet there is a simple adjustment to get rid of it.

I'd like to build a brushless gimbal for a DSLR and I read that the AlexMos board would not be a good choice. Does anyone know if the Hoverfly gimbal controller would do the trick?

Stacky

I am guessing here but the Hoverfly gimbal board is set up to control servo based gimbals?. I am under the impression brushless motor type gimbals need an entirely different control board?. I hope Im wrong on this, it would be brilliant to be able to control a brushless gimbal with my HFP gimbal controls.

jfro

Aerial Fun
For those running a nex5, how many volts are you sending the unit and what are you setting for power 0-255?

I'm still trying to calibrate. I see in the manual, you can do the cube or advance calibration with the main power off. Good on that.
After I calibrated the second time I now get the camera rolling off about 15 degrees. I then tried simple. Same thing.

Guess it's back to manual and trying it again.

Would be great if someone would put a screen shot of their settings up along with things like battery volts.

Is anyone hooked up to their FC?

I have some 5xxx series gimbal motors zooming their way to me from Hong Kong right now and I've been drawing up a gimbal design in Rhino 5. I have full MK electronics on a Carbon Core 950 hex with 3638 motors and 14.7 APC props. Maybe I'll be the guinea pig for testing the Alexmos board with a DSLR (7D with a 11-16 Tokina). For the price you really can't say no.

rwskier

Multi Rotor Video
rwskier,

Nice video but the horizontal hunting is very distracting, I bet there is a simple adjustment to get rid of it.

olof,

Thanks and I agree. It's a 2 axis gimbal so all the horizontal is MR yaw. Guess I just have to figure out how to fly it a little smoother. You can take the Horizontal out with post stabilizing but I hate how much degradation you get with it.

olof

Osprey
olof,

Thanks and I agree. It's a 2 axis gimbal so all the horizontal is MR yaw. Guess I just have to figure out how to fly it a little smoother. You can take the Horizontal out with post stabilizing but I hate how much degradation you get with it.

Maybe try lowering the yaw gain on your MR. Your shots are really good.

Warp stabilizer in AE will fix a lot of issues w/o any loss of resolution once you delve deep into the settings. It takes a long time to render but the results can be very good. If you dont have AE download a demo for 30 days it is fully functional. And Lynda.com has great tutorial s on AE.

tombrown1

Maybe try lowering the yaw gain on your MR. Your shots are really good.

Warp stabilizer in AE will fix a lot of issues w/o any loss of resolution once you delve deep into the settings. It takes a long time to render but the results can be very good. If you dont have AE download a demo for 30 days it is fully functional. And Lynda.com has great tutorial s on AE.

How do you fix a horizon drift in ae?

olof

Osprey
How do you fix a horizon drift in ae?

The Warp Stabilizer is in CS5.5 and CS6 versions of After Effects. It is not all that intuitive when it comes to the advanced settings but it is definitely worth learning it will smooth your shots by using the surrounding frames with no loss of resolution. These are the advanced settings, the standard settings will cause some loss of resolution.

I used WS a lot before I got my S800 with Zenmuse. I also have Yun-1 on order for my F550 , as a smaller less expensive rig, for backup and quick single operator jobs.

tombrown1

The Warp Stabilizer is in CS5.5 and CS6 versions of After Effects. It is not all that intuitive when it comes to the advanced settings but it is definitely worth learning it will smooth your shots by using the surrounding frames with no loss of resolution. These are the advanced settings, the standard settings will cause some loss of resolution.

I used WS a lot before I got my S800 with Zenmuse. I also have Yun-1 on order for my F550 , as a smaller less expensive rig, for backup and quick single operator jobs.

I've used WS quite a bit - but I didn't know you could fix a horizon drift with it.

There seem to be a lot of unhappy S800/Zenmuse owners out there - I must confess I've considered that route - Glad you're having a good experience with it.

Best,

Tom

Trnquill

Here's one of my first flights with self designed & made brushless gimbal carrying Panasonic GH2:

I still suffer from pan swaying quite bad (not too visible in the test vid above). But that's all because of Naza making the hex sway (the gimbal has no pan stabilization). The "hunting" is not as pronounced as in rwskier's video, but still quite disturbingly there. I'll try playing with Naza rudder gain and see if that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

It's actually very easy. Do a calibration with the camera platform flat and level, use a bubble level to make sure it's absolutely level side to side and front to back before clicking on the calibrate button in the GUI. Now swing the camera platform forward or backward so that it is 90 degrees from flat and level, basically the camera would be facing either straight up or straight down depending on which way you swing the platform, for calibration purposes it doesn't matter which way you go after doing the basic calibration. With the platform in the 90 degree position click the calibration button again and wait a few seconds

Do I have to press write button after every sequence of calibration or it has to be done after all sequences are done ?
And does it have to be done in exactly this way as I have done roll first then nick and backside down ?
Thanks

APVXtreme

APVXtreme
I've used WS quite a bit - but I didn't know you could fix a horizon drift with it.

There seem to be a lot of unhappy S800/Zenmuse owners out there - I must confess I've considered that route - Glad you're having a good experience with it.

Best,

Tom

I think most are unhappy with the S800, Zenmuse not so much. I think the biggest issue there is DJI, they release products to market that aren't ready and let everyone figure out the bugs then make you pay for the upgrade. My combo has treated me well so far but for instance I bought iOSD MK1 ($199) 6 months ago and 3 months later they released MK2 ($269). I've had nothing but problems with MK1 and now that I want to upgrade to MK2 the best my dealer can do is give it to me with trade in for $175. Same with the WKM IMU, they are finding birds over 7kg are having issues with altitude drop. Bought mine 6 months ago ($3500 50 waypoint) and they just released a new IMU to fix the issue but if I want it it's another $300... It's clear to me, they are "all about the money, money money..."

I'm looking at the gimbal from gothelirc.com for my F550 with a heavy lift conversion, next up is cinestar HL with they're new MoVi MR brushless... it's sick.

DennyR

View attachment 10871 Here's mine. Actually it has 8 axis of stabilisation movements. Two of which are Alexmos. Brushless 5 are inside the lens and one is on the tail rotor. Not only light years ahead of the Zenmuse it saved almost 2 kilos in weight and can hold 40X zoom. The cover is to prevent prop. wash.

Attachments

• TDR Brushless.jpg
    TDR Brushless.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 263

GotHeliRC

http://gothelirc.com
Finally have time to do some of my own flying... still on 1.2b firmware. Shoot a lot of video today, but most are not useable because of vibration and I am suspecting it's coming from the stock big lens hood I decided to put on today since it was so bright (it was windy, so either this thing is catching the wind or prop wash, but it seem to shake a lot the higher I go.... Another mistake is the auto focus thing isn't working so well. Not 100% happy with the result, but here it's anyway.

Someone told me to leave the focus thing in manual and zoom out all the way and crank up the "F" way up? Today, I had it on AV mode, Autofocus, Flexible Focus spot.

Also, can anyone tell me if you're suppose to have some 1-1.5mm of slop in your camera lens? If I shake my camera right now, I can hear it's flopping in there... something wrong?

r0beert0

Seeing some great videos here!!! here is one that was shot this morning, no post stabilization also, not the best day to shoot but wanted to run some more test flights on this cool new gimbal. First minute is without camera operator... you can see him running across the bottom right of the frame at 1:01. still operating line of sight.... not too windy (see flags at the end) though still getting some vibration coming in to the gimbal...I'm sure the APC props are not helping... upgrading to graupner, whenever someone has them in stock!!!!!!!

GoPro3 1080@60fps M

GotHeliRC

http://gothelirc.com
I see how it's... you're making fun of my little desert water fall... :D

Anyway, here's the lens slop, this can't be normal right?