My brushless gimbal result

GotHeliRC

http://gothelirc.com
It's not a problem IF you're not using the stock lens hood. If you're using the lens hood, then it does cause it to wiggle a lot and cause all kind of vibration to your video... I have verified this. This is why my water fall video have some vibration. But afterward, I remove the lens hood, vibe go away.

Simply the inner part of the lens can not hold the weight of the big hood that get a bunch of prop wash and wind.

Also, the slop on my lens got worse after using the lens hood while flying. SOOOO... don't ever use that HOOD!!!

vip

I like this lens, gives me the Optical stabilization AND wide angle ( the standard 16mm does not have the OS feature). I also do not use a hood. Pricey though.

Sony E PZ 16-50mm

Last edited by a moderator:

GotheliRC,
Can you please specify what upgrades/changes were made to the RTF gimbal kit that resulted in a $75 cost increase. Thank you!

rocjock

I can't tell you about the changes. But simple economics said he priced too low on round 1. That is until other gimbals come to market.

GotHeliRC

NEW Version: Roll bar is made with 6061 aluminum, tilt bearing upgraded to ABEC5, motor bearings upgrade to Japanese bearings.

Yes, those changes does not make out with the increase in price. The main reason is simply it take a lot of work and labor to make it a RTF or almost ready to fly. "I" have to wired and solder every single unit, plug it into the computer, input in some value, mounted the camera on and check it. The truth is the 550.00 is the wrong price and the only reason why I sold the first batch out and not raising the price is just a special promotion. I feel confident that those who bought one would buy another at 625.00.

Forgot to mention, so darn hard to get the Alex board... the board is not even here yet for the second batch. This mean we are going to have to FEDEX International Priority it to reduce the waiting time. Because everyone want one now now now right? It cost a lot of money.

Not to brag.... BUT the gimbal is 80% made and fully built in house here by me and a friend (he deserve a pay raise, unless someone is willing to come to AZ and work for 8.00/h let me know). We CNC all the aluminum and hand tap everything... then power coat and cook it here... then assembly. So I am proud to say the gimbal is mostly MADE IN THE USA! :D

I know that there's many choice out there that might be better pricing. But I do appreciated those who support us!

NEW Version: Roll bar is made with 6061 aluminum, tilt bearing upgraded to ABEC5, motor bearings upgrade to Japanese bearings.

Yes, those changes does not make out with the increase in price. The main reason is simply it take a lot of work and labor to make it a RTF or almost ready to fly. "I" have to wired and solder every single unit, plug it into the computer, input in some value, mounted the camera on and check it. The truth is the 550.00 is the wrong price and the only reason why I sold the first batch out and not raising the price is just a special promotion. I feel confident that those who bought one would buy another at 625.00.

Forgot to mention, so darn hard to get the Alex board... the board is not even here yet for the second batch. This mean we are going to have to FEDEX International Priority it to reduce the waiting time. Because everyone want one now now now right? It cost a lot of money.

Not to brag.... BUT the gimbal is 80% made and fully built in house here by me and a friend (he deserve a pay raise, unless someone is willing to come to AZ and work for 8.00/h let me know). We CNC all the aluminum and hand tap everything... then power coat and cook it here... then assembly. So I am proud to say the gimbal is mostly MADE IN THE USA! :D

I know that there's many choice out there that might be better pricing. But I do appreciated those who support us!

Never was I complaining about the price. Drop the defense. I just want information/explanation for the price increase because I am interested in the product. And yes, get those boards! Would love to try this product out soon.

palkox

Big thanks to GotheliRC for making this gimbal! I was lucky to get one from the first batch. And at this pricepoint its just fantastic!!

I unboxed mine, and attached it to my DJI F550 with the old gimbal plate that was already there (from the belt driven AG550).
Then I downloaded firmware 1.3 and trough the GUI did simple calibration with level meter just holding it firmly with my hands.
Then I mounted the gimbal to my DJI F550 with the old attachment plate for my AG550 belt driven gimbal. Fitted nicely!

Then I mounted and balanced the NEX-5n with 18-55mm on the gimbal so without power its dead center and balanced correctly.

Then switch on and wait 3-4 sec.

Here is first flight: http://vimeo.com/63899421

THis is just out of camera - I even realized camera wasnt even correctly exposed or focus set to infinity. ALso minor vibration - but this is due to me not playing with the settings and I have to do the proper calibration according to the user manual!
Also dampening material on the hexa will make it better I guess. But the vibration is very difficult to see - its not much - but its there. I have learned now that this can be tuned in the GUI by lowering the D and power!

Hopefully somebody will make a tutorial video for us non-techincal newbies :)

But out of the box it flew this well. WOW! I have never achieved perfect horizon like this and no twitching anymore!! Goodbye beltdriven gimbal and welcome zenmuse-like performance!!!

Its also a very nice design, although the Alexmos card is a bit out in the open with no protection, but that is minor work for anybody to protect better. And the plate the camera is attached to is a bit small and with the 18-55mm lens the camera is way back on the gimbal camera plate so very little of the camera bottom is actually touching the gimbal. That could have been a better design for the NEX-5n - but again, this is something most of us can fix ourselves with a simple cameraplate.

So thank you GotheliRC for making my aerial-video-life much better and now I cant wait for it to stop raining so I can fly more!

PS I must mention that I am experiencing some high frequency jitter now, when the copter is sitting still on my desktop. But I sent GotheliRC an email expressing my concern - he answered very quickly and told me to lower the D and power. SO its the tuning value! Hopefully this will make it better!

Hope more GotheliRC brushless gimbal users will share their experience and settings so we all can get better performance :)

Pal
Norway

DJI F550 WKM with upgraded Tiger motors (MT2216/900kv), Graupner props, AG550 gimbalplate with battery tray, GotheliRC brushless gimbal, NEX-5n with 18-55mm, Lawmate 1.2Ghz/HDMI converter and 4S Flightmax 8000mah.

palkox

Must add from previous post that I have now lowered the D setting from 15 to 10, and the jitter is gone :)

I have also attached a male to male servo cable from RC pitch on the ALexmos card to the F2 port on the WKM unit. I have zeroed out all gimbal settings in the WKM GUI except the Pitch X3 setting where I put the value 1. Instead of default 100.
Now I get veeeery smooth tilt controll (pitch) on the gimbal. From my Futuba T8FG.

I disconnected/cut of the red cable (power) on the servo cable, since the gimbal is powered already from a separate 3S 800mah lipo. I am not sure if this is necessary. But I didn't want to take the chance. Maybe others can clarify this matter.

Big thanks to GotheliRC for making this gimbal! I was lucky to get one from the first batch. And at this pricepoint its just fantastic!!

I unboxed mine, and attached it to my DJI F550 with the old gimbal plate that was already there (from the belt driven AG550).
Then I downloaded firmware 1.3 and trough the GUI did simple calibration with level meter just holding it firmly with my hands.
Then I mounted the gimbal to my DJI F550 with the old attachment plate for my AG550 belt driven gimbal. Fitted nicely!

Then I mounted and balanced the NEX-5n with 18-55mm on the gimbal so without power its dead center and balanced correctly.

Then switch on and wait 3-4 sec.

Here is first flight: http://vimeo.com/63899421

THis is just out of camera - I even realized camera wasnt even correctly exposed or focus set to infinity. ALso minor vibration - but this is due to me not playing with the settings and I have to do the proper calibration according to the user manual!
Also dampening material on the hexa will make it better I guess. But the vibration is very difficult to see - its not much - but its there. I have learned now that this can be tuned in the GUI by lowering the D and power!

Hopefully somebody will make a tutorial video for us non-techincal newbies :)

But out of the box it flew this well. WOW! I have never achieved perfect horizon like this and no twitching anymore!! Goodbye beltdriven gimbal and welcome zenmuse-like performance!!!

Its also a very nice design, although the Alexmos card is a bit out in the open with no protection, but that is minor work for anybody to protect better. And the plate the camera is attached to is a bit small and with the 18-55mm lens the camera is way back on the gimbal camera plate so very little of the camera bottom is actually touching the gimbal. That could have been a better design for the NEX-5n - but again, this is something most of us can fix ourselves with a simple cameraplate.

So thank you GotheliRC for making my aerial-video-life much better and now I cant wait for it to stop raining so I can fly more!

PS I must mention that I am experiencing some high frequency jitter now, when the copter is sitting still on my desktop. But I sent GotheliRC an email expressing my concern - he answered very quickly and told me to lower the D and power. SO its the tuning value! Hopefully this will make it better!

Hope more GotheliRC brushless gimbal users will share their experience and settings so we all can get better performance :)

Pal
Norway

DJI F550 WKM with upgraded Tiger motors (MT2216/900kv), Graupner props, AG550 gimbalplate with battery tray, GotheliRC brushless gimbal, NEX-5n with 18-55mm, Lawmate 1.2Ghz/HDMI converter and 4S Flightmax 8000mah.

Really appreciate this review. Thank you! Very interested in ordering a gimbal, get those boards!

Question: I am confused on what "mount" I need to have on my frame/landing gear to mount this gimbal. I have a carboncore 950mm hex, and I'm thinking about getting the CC landing gear/slide rails/mount to go with it. Here is the link: http://www.rc-drones.com/carboncore-gimbal-mount.php

Anyone know if I'll be able to mount the gimbal on this out of the box? Are the holes/plate on the gimbal pretty universal? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

GotHeliRC

Just a thought... .DID anyone happen to see our VX5N gimbal at work at NAB? We are not there, but our gimbal was there "filming the Movi"... :D

Icke84

I was there but without my gothelirc gimbal.
Tried out the movi. Nice setup but price is to high. I will build one handheld rig by myself :)

A friend of mine build a 360° servo mount on my gimbal so i now have 3 axis. Cant wait for the 3 axis alexmos controller.

Greetings
Marcus from germany

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mit Tapatalk 2

rocjock

Really appreciate this review. Thank you! Very interested in ordering a gimbal, get those boards!

Question: I am confused on what "mount" I need to have on my frame/landing gear to mount this gimbal. I have a carboncore 950mm hex, and I'm thinking about getting the CC landing gear/slide rails/mount to go with it. Here is the link: http://www.rc-drones.com/carboncore-gimbal-mount.php

Anyone know if I'll be able to mount the gimbal on this out of the box? Are the holes/plate on the gimbal pretty universal? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

you could bolt it directly to the bottom plate with the dampners it comes with and use a much cheaper landing gear. that would require taking off the bottom plate of course. I was wondering the same thing about that landing gear/mount. it seems like you might have to do some engineering to get it on there using extra carbon fiber material and drilling some holes. i don't know if the VX5N is wide enough to reach the mounting brackets that go through the horizontal tubes. but that's total speculation and i don't know what the photohigher mount looks like. maybe shoot Tony an email and see what he says.

here is a pic of the top of the gimbal.

View attachment 11136

Attachments

• topgimbal.JPG
    topgimbal.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 339

r0beert0

shot this weekend. GP3 @ 2k 24FPS (gotta fly a lot smoother at that setting) aerial, Canon S110 for tilt shift effect (they call it miniature effect) @ 10X

Ptnick

I have a CarbonCore 650 and I'm now flying, smiling, with the GotHeli Brushless Gimbal. I mounted it to the aluminum tray that comes with the CarbonCore (short version) leg set. I had to drill holes in the plate to line up with the outermost slots in the mounting plate of the gimbal. That was easy. The carboncore leg set is worth the money in my opinion because it makes maintaining the CG of the aircraft so easy, simply by sliding the gimbal tray and/or battery tray fore and aft until the balance point is in the middle of the aircraft. The camera (NEX 6 with Sigma 19mm f2.8 EXDn lens) sits out front far enough, and low enough that visual obstruction from the legs is
a non-issue. BTW, the Sigma lens, with a 35mm equivalent of about 28mm, is very sharp and I highly recommend it. Inexpensive: $140 from Amazon.
The tuning was not difficult once I solved some updating issues (Java) on a borrowed PC laptop and was able to load the software. V was very helpful and patient in a few support phone calls. The longer I'm in this industry the more I appreciate business people who
answer the phone, return phone calls, and who are helpful. Not always the case.

I was new to brushless gimbals--who isn't!--and it took me a while to really understand the variables in getting the camera really neutrally balanced on the gimbal. Once I did, though, I was just amazed at the silent, smooth, performance.

Now I'm chasing vibration from props and motors, but the gimbal is solved!