Moving up from AR Drones

Hello, I have been flying the AR Drone for a few months now. I have done almost every modification including changing over to RF radio. I now want to buy something of higher quality. I do want the ability of Autonomous flying, the ability to carry a Gopro Hero3. FPV but if the cost is too much at least to have the ability to add it later. I was directed to look at 3DRobotics and check out the Iris. but as I was doing this I noticed a different model 3DR RTF Y6 the video I watched was really good and it looks very stable. But I need help and true guidance so I don't waste my money. my budget is between $1,100 and $1,500 but if I can save and still get these features I sure am not opposed to that !!! I would like something complete but don't mind having to assemble if needed. Thanks in advance Michael

Because of this onboard stabilization, the AR.Drone is becoming very popular as both a toy (rc plane), and as a research platform for computer vision and robotic exploration (researchers can focus on their algorithms without worrying that the drone will crash).

FlyGirl

Hello, I have been flying the AR Drone for a few months now. I have done almost every modification including changing over to RF radio. I now want to buy something of higher quality. I do want the ability of Autonomous flying, the ability to carry a Gopro Hero3. FPV but if the cost is too much at least to have the ability to add it later. I was directed to look at 3DRobotics and check out the Iris. but as I was doing this I noticed a different model 3DR RTF Y6 the video I watched was really good and it looks very stable. But I need help and true guidance so I don't waste my money. my budget is between $1,100 and $1,500 but if I can save and still get these features I sure am not opposed to that !!! I would like something complete but don't mind having to assemble if needed. Thanks in advance Michael

Welcome Michael! I am torn over what my next project will be (currently flying a DJI Flame Wheel 450 with NAZA-M Lite and a FatShark FPV set up) and I think you just made it worse. LOL! That Y6 looks pretty nice! I can't decide between a hex or a tri or a dedicated FPV rig like the TBS Discovery. Anyways that Y6 looks like it would be perfect for you. It's got everything you want at a reasonable price. :)

dazzab

The choice between the 3DR Y6 and the Iris is a tough one. If only they had an Iris hexa. The Y6 is a good machine that will certainly do what you want. The Iris is good because it's the most advanced. It uses the Pixhawk flight controller which is much more powerful than the APM. But you probably are better off with a hexa than a quad.

Choice

Welcome Michael! I am torn over what my next project will be (currently flying a DJI Flame Wheel 450 with NAZA-M Lite and a FatShark FPV set up) and I think you just made it worse. LOL! That Y6 looks pretty nice! I can't decide between a hex or a tri or a dedicated FPV rig like the TBS Discovery. Anyways that Y6 looks like it would be perfect for you. It's got everything you want at a reasonable price. :)
That is why I am here so I can get some quidance !!! sorry to add confusion to your mind lol.. but maybe if everyone puts their two cents in or more !! all of us will move to the right one? I just know after seeing so many videos it will not be easy, and maybe my budget is not enough to get what I want? so lets all come up with some pros and cons. I am open to any suggestions. I had never thought of going to something like the Y6 before I started looking at the 3Drobotics site!

I first looked at the Iris for the reasons you mentioned. I did talk with a few people and I was told there are still some issues with the stability. I figure once their testing is done that will be fixed? and maybe I should wait a few more weeks? but seeing some of the videos on the Y6 makes me think. I truly just want something that will be repairable and parts available, a system that will be the most stable in the air, and allow for some added goodies without stressing the system. but i am still very curious about the Iris???

What do you think of the Fatshark is that with the goggles or just a display? I defiantly want to add the FPV and was told the FastShark was a good system, but before I do that I need to make a decision on what Drone to buy. Take care

FlyGirl

What do you think of the Fatshark is that with the goggles or just a display? I defiantly want to add the FPV and was told the FastShark was a good system, but before I do that I need to make a decision on what Drone to buy. Take care

FatShark is the goggles but it uses Immersion RC products so you could set up a display view pretty easily. I like the system myself but if I had it to do over again I think I would probably get the Attitude model as that has a better display in the goggles. My Predator v2 is certainly flyable but, well, I guess I always hunger for just a bit better... LOL!

FatShark is the goggles but it uses Immersion RC products so you could set up a display view pretty easily. I like the system myself but if I had it to do over again I think I would probably get the Attitude model as that has a better display in the goggles. My Predator v2 is certainly flyable but, well, I guess I always hunger for just a bit better... LOL!
I will have to check that out. Is it difficult to control once you have the glasses on? you are still limited by the range of the Radio controller I would guess? I am not really sure I would use that a lot because I would be worried that I might loose my drone. but it would be fun to send it out on a Autonomous flight and be able to watch with the glasses. That I think I would enjoy if that is possible? So hearing what I was looking for in the way of a drone with a budget just over $1000 I have watched so many videos and now know there are many companies to buy from so it is making my decision so much harder. I know I am rambling but maybe the light will go on in this head of mind and I will make a decision lol.....

FlyGirl

I will have to check that out. Is it difficult to control once you have the glasses on? you are still limited by the range of the Radio controller I would guess? I am not really sure I would use that a lot because I would be worried that I might loose my drone. but it would be fun to send it out on a Autonomous flight and be able to watch with the glasses. That I think I would enjoy if that is possible? So hearing what I was looking for in the way of a drone with a budget just over $1000 I have watched so many videos and now know there are many companies to buy from so it is making my decision so much harder. I know I am rambling but maybe the light will go on in this head of mind and I will make a decision lol.....

So far it's not bad and in some respects is easier. The hardest thing to learn in RC is the instinctual movement on the sticks when the aircraft is coming towards you. When flying the goggles I'm always looking where the quad is going. It's more like driving. LOL! I only have 6 flights using FPV so I'm still learning. I can not take off and land with it yet. It's easier to take off, hover in GPS mode, and then put the goggles on. Same thing in reverse for landing. As far as limitations, I'm more limited by how far the video signal can be transmitted. I have a 600mW video transmitter which supposedly can transmit pretty far in line of sight. Like about 1.5 kilometers. So far I've had it out maybe 400 or 500 yards. It's actually pretty cool! You'd like it!

So far it's not bad and in some respects is easier. The hardest thing to learn in RC is the instinctual movement on the sticks when the aircraft is coming towards you. When flying the goggles I'm always looking where the quad is going. It's more like driving. LOL! I only have 6 flights using FPV so I'm still learning. I can not take off and land with it yet. It's easier to take off, hover in GPS mode, and then put the goggles on. Same thing in reverse for landing. As far as limitations, I'm more limited by how far the video signal can be transmitted. I have a 600mW video transmitter which supposedly can transmit pretty far in line of sight. Like about 1.5 kilometers. So far I've had it out maybe 400 or 500 yards. It's actually pretty cool! You'd like it!
I guess I need to make some decision on which drone to buy and then figure out about the fpv. at least by having a budget eliminates some of higher end ones lol... still this is a lot of money for me to spend so I guess I should just keep reading? are you close to getting something new?

FlyGirl

I guess I need to make some decision on which drone to buy and then figure out about the fpv. at least by having a budget eliminates some of higher end ones lol... still this is a lot of money for me to spend so I guess I should just keep reading? are you close to getting something new?

Part of me, the impetuous side, says "yes!" and the frugal part of me says "no, you already have a terrific little platform that has been flawless". So I'm torn... Do I leave the 450 Flame Wheel alone and keep it as it is or do I get a gimbal and GoPro for it? The 450 is a lot of fun the way it is so do I get another platform and make that into the best filming platform I can afford? It would mean duplicating some of the stuff I just recently bought all over again. I think if I do get something new I will go slow with things, something I didn't do with the 450 build. It's becoming winter here so there is no rush.... I might just get a hex or octo frame with a flight controller and leave the 450 a my FPV run-about.... Sigh.... I can't decide.... LOL

Part of me, the impetuous side, says "yes!" and the frugal part of me says "no, you already have a terrific little platform that has been flawless". So I'm torn... Do I leave the 450 Flame Wheel alone and keep it as it is or do I get a gimbal and GoPro for it? The 450 is a lot of fun the way it is so do I get another platform and make that into the best filming platform I can afford? It would mean duplicating some of the stuff I just recently bought all over again. I think if I do get something new I will go slow with things, something I didn't do with the 450 build. It's becoming winter here so there is no rush.... I might just get a hex or octo frame with a flight controller and leave the 450 a my FPV run-about.... Sigh.... I can't decide.... LOL
Let me ask you this, You have been flying for a long time and seem to enjoy what you have. Do you think I might be better off just buying the same model as you have? I am not sure what it would cost and if it would be any savings? I know for sure I want something fun and stable to fly. Defiantly want to add a Gopro Hero3 Black edition unless someone tells me there is better for no more money? a solid GPS so I can do Autonomous flights and FPV so I can watch and also control at a distance. Just thinking maybe it is better to get something proved? I do sound confused lol !!!

FlyGirl

Let me ask you this, You have been flying for a long time and seem to enjoy what you have. Do you think I might be better off just buying the same model as you have? I am not sure what it would cost and if it would be any savings? I know for sure I want something fun and stable to fly. Defiantly want to add a Gopro Hero3 Black edition unless someone tells me there is better for no more money? a solid GPS so I can do Autonomous flights and FPV so I can watch and also control at a distance. Just thinking maybe it is better to get something proved? I do sound confused lol !!!

The 450 Flame Wheel frame ARF kit is really good... I definitely can recommend it. It goes for $190 and has the boards, arms, props, 30A Opto ESCs with SimonK firmware (comes ready to go, no programming required), and 920kv motors.I got the NAZA-M Lite with GPS module because I heard it was a very solid and proven. The price was right too at $209 so for $400 I had a solid platform and flight controller. It has limitations. It can't do autonomous missions. No waypoints etc... That was okay with me as I wanted to fly it not watch it. It still uses the GPS for hold and of course for Return To Home. But that doesn't mean you can't use a different higher priced flight controller or another brand that does all the things you want it to do. :) I went with the FatShark FPV because again it is proven and it's very easy to install and upgrade (uses ImmersionRC parts). Plus it has an easy to install OSD (called, ta-da! EzOSD) which I have on order (backorder). I already had a Spektrum DX7s transmitter with an ar8000 DSMX receiver sitting around but I now wish I had more channels. The 450 will fly your GoPro fine and you could even go with the 550 Flame Wheel to get more lifting power. In fact, thats not a bad idea.... Hmmmmm Maybe I'll just do that myself....

The 450 Flame Wheel frame ARF kit is really good... I definitely can recommend it. It goes for $190 and has the boards, arms, props, 30A Opto ESCs with SimonK firmware (comes ready to go, no programming required), and 920kv motors.I got the NAZA-M Lite with GPS module because I heard it was a very solid and proven. The price was right too at $209 so for $400 I had a solid platform and flight controller. It has limitations. It can't do autonomous missions. No waypoints etc... That was okay with me as I wanted to fly it not watch it. It still uses the GPS for hold and of course for Return To Home. But that doesn't mean you can't use a different higher priced flight controller or another brand that does all the things you want it to do. :) I went with the FatShark FPV because again it is proven and it's very easy to install and upgrade (uses ImmersionRC parts). Plus it has an easy to install OSD (called, ta-da! EzOSD) which I have on order (backorder). I already had a Spektrum DX7s transmitter with an ar8000 DSMX receiver sitting around but I now wish I had more channels. The 450 will fly your GoPro fine and you could even go with the 550 Flame Wheel to get more lifting power. In fact, thats not a bad idea.... Hmmmmm Maybe I'll just do that myself....
I was doing some more searching and came across this RTF package http://onlyflyingmachines.com/product/seeker450v2rtf/#tab-description give me your thoughts if you have time to check it out.

Stone-D

Mini Adventurer
Hi Jake! I actually registered here to reply to this thread, lol. I started with the AR Drone as well... please take a quick look at my intro text so you can see my 'history', as it were.

My suggestion to you is to save your money for the time being. Stay away from the pricey multis for now and get something cheaper... something that won't give you a heart attack when it crashes. Most of the flight controllers currently available have been on the market for a while... newer, better, stuff is around the corner. Wait, and train yourself before forking out thousands on an aerial platform you're unable to fly properly.

To start with, get an Armattan quad. Bob is super helpful. He is a quality and customer satisfaction freak and you will be hard pressed in finding better service. He will double check and verify that everything is as YOU want it before he ships. This route will let you learn the workings of hobby quads without a lot of fumbling around. Use this quad to teach yourself flying - force yourself to learn with autolevelling OFF, and challenge yourself with orientation. You WILL need this skill some day... either to save yourself from a lawsuit or a basic runaway. Buy lots of props and PUNISH this flyer... Armattans are difficult to damage. BTW, if you lurk on the RCGroups classifieds area, Bob frequently sells off prototypes or custom builds with wrong coloring for a huge discount.

Next, move up to an H quad, like a TBS disco or my own ADS 400-Q. Get into and master FPV.

Then go hexa, if you want, for high end photography. The skills you learned flying manual and FPV will let you get shots you would only dream of otherwise.

Hi Jake! I actually registered here to reply to this thread, lol. I started with the AR Drone as well... please take a quick look at my intro text so you can see my 'history', as it were.

My suggestion to you is to save your money for the time being. Stay away from the pricey multis for now and get something cheaper... something that won't give you a heart attack when it crashes. Most of the flight controllers currently available have been on the market for a while... newer, better, stuff is around the corner. Wait, and train yourself before forking out thousands on an aerial platform you're unable to fly properly.

To start with, get an Armattan quad. Bob is super helpful. He is a quality and customer satisfaction freak and you will be hard pressed in finding better service. He will double check and verify that everything is as YOU want it before he ships. This route will let you learn the workings of hobby quads without a lot of fumbling around. Use this quad to teach yourself flying - force yourself to learn with autolevelling OFF, and challenge yourself with orientation. You WILL need this skill some day... either to save yourself from a lawsuit or a basic runaway. Buy lots of props and PUNISH this flyer... Armattans are difficult to damage. BTW, if you lurk on the RCGroups classifieds area, Bob frequently sells off prototypes or custom builds with wrong coloring for a huge discount.

Next, move up to an H quad, like a TBS disco or my own ADS 400-Q. Get into and master FPV.

Then go hexa, if you want, for high end photography. The skills you learned flying manual and FPV will let you get shots you would only dream of otherwise.
I was looking at all the Quads but now I have some questions and cant see how to contact anyone there? Or I am missing it lol....

Stone-D

Mini Adventurer
He wouldn't recognize me as I go under a different username on RCGroups ("LMahesa") as they don't allow hyphens in the name and "Stone-D" is my prefered one. :p

As for the Iris, it certainly looks pretty capable. The thing about multirotors is that they're all pretty much the same - the important piece is the brain, the flight controller. They all have different characteristics, strengths and weaknesses. Some have good reputations (whether deserved or not, who knows?) while others people swear by, despite having reduced feature sets.

I'm still very new to all this (5 months now) and have only had personal experience with the CC3D board, the AR Drone and a bunch of micro quad flight controllers. I have been doing a lot of reading on the others, and have started to form an opinion but it's just that - an opinion. Naza, for example, I'm staying away from. Openpilot I'm keeping my eye on, as well as Taulabs. KK boards aren't for me, but I'm kinda interested in a Multiwii board for my next quad.

3DR, Wookong, Ardupilot, etc are all just names to me right now. As I'm still in the learning phase I'm staying away from the pricier ones... by the time I'm ready for them, they will have been upgraded or replaced by newer models anyway!

Basically, do your homework and check the forums for user reviews, issues, fixes, hacks, etc.