Odd log from iOSD

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
I have just installed some Tiger M4014-9 400kv motors onto my Octo along with the Tiger 15x5 carbon props using a 6s setup. I thought I would look at my iOSD logs to see how it was performing. What I noticed was that motors 1,3,5 and 7 were all revving the same but at a level above 2,4,6 and 8. This would normally indicate that my motors are out of alignment and that the copter is compensating the asymetric yaw that results from misalignment. However, and this is the odd bit from my perspective, I have been maticulous in setting my motor alignment and by this I mean using a digital pitch gauge which is accurate to 0.1 of a degree and all of the motors are bang on 0.0 degrees from vertical so alignment is not the issue I don't think. This was happening on both 5.20 and 5.26 WKM firmware versions. Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

snurre

Cw versus ccw props slightly different in actual pitch from manufacturer?

Skickat från min Galaxy Nexus med Tapatalk 4

Carapau

Got it susses. I guess the problem with a digital pitch gauge is that its accuracy can be a bit of a setup headache. Whilst you can get all of your props on exactly the same angle it means that just .1 of a degree out can cause an issue as all 8 props will be .1 of a degree out. To be honest it wasn't causing an issue with flight as the WKM wasn't even yawing but seeing the logs as they were I felt I needed to do something. As it turns out I ended up with an adjustment of .3 of a degree on all props and I am now bang on. Motors all spinning at the exact same revs now.

Electro 2

I've excellent results from the old steel ruler method, no fancy eletronic anything involved. Just put a ruler between two adjacent motor mounts and twist 'em until they are true. (See Pic) View attachment 13806

Attachments

• Mantis_Motor_050.jpg
    Mantis_Motor_050.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 301

Carapau

Yeah, simple solutions are often the best! Although to be honest I would have thought the aircraft was flying perfectly if I hadn't looked at the iOSD log but now I know that it is.

Electro 2

I would have thought the aircraft was flying perfectly if I hadn't looked at the iOSD log but now I know that it is.

Motor/ESC temps will be canted if there is a yaw thrust imbalance that is being nulled in flight by the EFC. The EFCs from Zero UAV, (X4/X6), will show an error, real-time, if the imbalance is great enough. In the flight logs, it will actually show as "motor imbalance".