Aeronavics / Droidworx New Build Skyjib 6 Ti with retractable legs

Quinton

We have lift off!
Maiden flight completed today, was actually very windy, i know I shouldn't have but I was there.
Flew for 9 mins, brought her down early as it was getting a bit too gusty 15mph at times.
(23.3v 58%) after landing.
Took off in Atti, then after 5 mins stable hovering and making sure all controls worked correctly put it into GPS which was also steady.
Didnt really play with the gains too much as it was too windy, just left them all at 100%
Couldn't get full satellite lock, only had 6 which Ill have to investigate tomorrow, very hard to know what colour the LEDs are on the wookong (far too many different colours to pick up)

It seemed to fly much better going forward/backward, probably because the lipo weight was at the front/back.
Really glad I have voltage telemetry on the controller, its a big help, tomorrow I will see the difference between landing and under load, as I was too excited to remember :) Least I know now everything is as should be so far with controls, and can relax a bit more, but it seemed to fly really smooth in Atti even in strong winds.
Also everything was really cool after flight, and hovered really nicely slightly below 50%

Last edited by a moderator:

Quinton

Had a nice 2nd flight this morning.
13 mins (2x 6200mAh) lipos landed @22.3V under load, no gimbal..as I haven't got one yet :)

Was paying a bit more attention to telemetry today, and noticed that the difference between loaded and not under load was 0.4V
What is the general consensus when to land, @22.3V when loaded which would be 20%, as I am used to landing at 20% when not loaded.
By the time I got home the lipos were 22.88V (38%)
Also noticed that the wookong took a little jump up when switching from GPS/ATTI for the first time.
The Wookong LED is really awful to try and see what colour is flashing sometimes.

Maverick

Generally, after landing, and no load is on the packs, they should finish up at around the nominal pack voltage - 3.7v per cell, so in your case, 22.2v. Some people go lower, but its a personal preference how long you want your packs to last.

In my case, as soon as my iOSD hits 13.8v, (4S) I land. A few mins later, it has creeped back up to 14.8v (3.7v/cell), which is what I'm happy with...

Note : as your packs age, the loaded/not loaded voltage difference will change, so keep an eye on this, if you're going to use this feature in your WooKong voltage alarm. You will have to keep the value updated as you go along...

Last edited by a moderator:

garyl

skyjib X4 or 6?

Hi Quinton,

I am about to buy a Droidworx frame but I am really undecided on the model. I want some flexibility ! I have been looking at the X4 and the Skyjib 6 ? I have a guy locally who could be of help to me who doesn't like push pull X systems so I have been looking at the Skyjib 6?
Are you pleased with it? What system do you use DJI or Microcopter? Any info will help !
Thank you and happy Xmas to all !
Gary

Going to make a good start today with everything seeing my new soldering iron should arrive later.
Quick question out there for everyone, as I have asked 5 different people and have had five different answers.
Threadlock, where exactly do you use it on the DW build, and is it needed on the screws that go through the booms, that have the split washers (Are the washers sufficient)

Another question, once you use the threadlock how to keep check that it is doing its job, obviously if you tighten it slightly you will be breaking the lock.
And Nyloc nuts, one person I spoke with said that they should only be used once, what are your thoughts on that?

Quinton

Hi Quinton,

I am about to buy a Droidworx frame but I am really undecided on the model. I want some flexibility ! I have been looking at the X4 and the Skyjib 6 ? I have a guy locally who could be of help to me who doesn't like push pull X systems so I have been looking at the Skyjib 6?
Are you pleased with it? What system do you use DJI or Microcopter? Any info will help !
Gary

Hi Gary

I am very happy with the Skyjib, however I am very new to this and may not be the best person to ask.
"If" I was to start again after all I have learnt of the past few months, then I would have went for the X4 as they are able to carry more.
Saying that, the new Skyjib 6 Super is able to take up to 17" propellers, (500mm booms) and I have heard very promising things about it flight time wise, and I may go that route in the near future as I have just paid for the 5D Zenmuse and my flight time with that would be decreased to around 12 mins hovering with 8A lipos, I would imagine this would be improved with the super.

Just this week I had a motor go out (which I am still investigating) and it was still under control, although I dont know how that would have reacted if I was flying hard.
I just had no Yaw control, this is the biggest reason I would go for an X4 as there is more redundancy.

I am flying with the Wookong though, I have no experience with any other FC.
Hope this helps, but like I mentioned I am very new to this, and a lot more people here could help you make a better decision, but I have learned a LOT over the last few months thanks to this forum.

dazzab

Hi Quinton,

Gary
If you don't mind an older model have a look at their Spring Sale section on the Droidworx web site. I picked up a XM hexa frame for half price which I'm building now. Not as sexy as the new Ti series but a lovely bird. I've been flying a SkyJib coax octo with my DSLR and wanted something smaller for use with a Sony NEX. I've been flying the Sony on a CX-600 quad but I have other plans for it now.

garyl

Hi Quinton and dazzab,

Thank you both for your advice. I am pretty new to all this too and am getting closer every day to the X4. From the different information I am getting it
seems ideal ! I never seem to get any negative feed back on this solution ! I have heard a few stories about 6 motors landing with one less engine. That is
a good point especially when you see the cost of these machines ! A supplier told me that the X4 could land with 2 failures as long as they are not on the
same boom. Does that sound correct?
Dazzab I did see the spring offer but in France we have to keep all as light as possible and it seems the new frames are lighter.

Thank you for your help and hope you are around when I start !
Happy xmas.
Gary

dazzab

Hi Quinton and dazzab,
A supplier told me that the X4 could land with 2 failures as long as they are not on the
same boom. Does that sound correct?
Gary
Sounds right. I can't speak for two failures but last week I had a prop come off my SkyJib X4 that I hadn't tightened properly. It just flew off on it's own little flight and gently floated to the ground. It was a little confusing as the copter didn't even flinch. It was rock solid and continued to handle totally normal in flight. I flew it back a bit closer to me and landed normally like nothing had happened. I've heard others say that they fly well with one failure but I didn't expect it to fly as well as it did. I wasn't flying with a payload at the time so that might make a difference.

I have one of the first X4 Ti machines Droidworx shipped and I love it. But unless you want to fly heavier cameras it might be overkill. I bought the older XM-6 in the Spring sale to fly my Sony NEX and although I'm just now building it, I think it's a great fit. But it's smaller than the SkyJib-6 so probably doesn't help in your comparison. It really comes down to what you are going to use it for. SkyJib 6 looks like a very good choice as well. It's no slouch and will handle a heavy payload with the right motors and props.

Reading what I just wrote I'm probably just confusing you. Sorry if that's the case.

garyl

Thank you dazzab. It is re-assuring to know this. I really wanted something flexible to start with. I have a Sony PJ780 that I want to start with but I don't want to be limited. I was looking at a XM6 but Droidworx told me it was too small for that purpose and I would be limited in the futur. I think I will go for something similar to you in a next stage as I need something lighter to get into towns here in France. To go into town it can't exceed 4kg and it has to have a parachute ! ( French law !). I would be interest to know how heavy your XM6 will come out at with a Nex.. Are you with DJI or other? and did you build it yourself? Thank you .Gary

dazzab

I would be interest to know how heavy your XM6 will come out at with a Nex.. Are you with DJI or other? and did you build it yourself? Thank you .Gary
Just finished building my XM6 build tonight. I don't have an accurate scale here but from what I do have it appears to be a bit under 3Kg without batteries or camera/gimbal. So it's going to be at least 5Kg AUW I'd say.

I use the APM flight controller from 3DR on all my copters and planes as I'm heavily involved with a group that has a focus on search and rescue.

There are plenty of build threads on this board for Droidworx copters, including mine from building my SkyJib X4 coax. Make sure you have a look through them as there are a lot of good tips in there.