Motor Maintenance

Jodde73

Do everyone think it's ok to buy a expensive motor and the first thing to do is to change the bearings? Sick!
Imagine if it was like that with a car or a bicycle...

jes1111

That suggestion was in relation to cheap motors, not expensive ones. :)

Remembering that the bearings are effectively the ONLY "moving part" in a multirotor, your approach to their quality, care and maintenance will be based on how important it is to you that it stays in the air. "Spoiling the ship for a penny's-worth of tar" is an expression that comes to mind ;)

kloner

Aerial DP
nice fresh ones, tellin ya, life is good. Throw away anything crashed that breaks a prop

Jes, were you educated in portugal? Your very intelligent, your english seems like your from here,,, what up? Even your "expressions"..... does portugal even have something called a penny? Just curious, please don't take it wrong

jes1111

I'm English - been living in Portugal for 12 years now, but actually returning to UK within the next month or two :)

Jodde73

Very well spoken! Makes me wanna update all my "cheap" motors with good bearings (maybe not for the "basher quads").
Do you know where to buy in Europe or from Asia? It's a pity SKF (the Swedish company, largest manuf. in the world) don't do bearings that small (not sure).
If they fail after a prop strike I don't know if I want to invest in ceramic or "luxury" bearings.

That suggestion was in relation to cheap motors, not expensive ones. :)

Remembering that the bearings are effectively the ONLY "moving part" in a multirotor, your approach to their quality, care and maintenance will be based on how important it is to you that it stays in the air. "Spoiling the ship for a penny's-worth of tar" is an expression that comes to mind ;)

F450

isn't there like a revolution happening over there in Great Britain? I think the scots want to be independent or something

jes1111

Jes have you ever oiled/greased your motors or you just buy good quality bearings?
Never :) - I replace all the bearings every thirty flights (which actually means I've done it twice so far and am due to do it again after six more flights - I'm still in working with my "test mules")

Very well spoken! Makes me wanna update all my "cheap" motors with good bearings (maybe not for the "basher quads").
Do you know where to buy in Europe or from Asia? It's a pity SKF (the Swedish company, largest manuf. in the world) don't do bearings that small (not sure).
If they fail after a prop strike I don't know if I want to invest in ceramic or "luxury" bearings.
http://www.smbbearings.com/ are EZO stockists - nice people, too :)
It seems SKF do make miniatures - this example: http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p1...roove+Ball+Bearing+4x11x4mm/product_info.html

isn't there like a revolution happening over there in Great Britain? I think the scots want to be independent or something
Nah, just some nancies in skirts making a big fuss about nothing ;)