Is the F450 the new go to?

Kilby

So it seems that there has been a TON of traffic on here lately about the F450 kit. A lot of the posts seem to be coming from new members, which is absolutely fantastic.

Would you say that the 450 has become the new entry way into this hobby? Last year it seemed like XAircraft was doing pretty well bringing in a lot of new members, but since the 450 frame & Naza controller has been released (as well as XA having a few bits of troubled hardware) it seems that is the best way in now. Would you guys agree?

If you just bought an F450 as (one of) your first MR's, what were the main factors that made you go that route and were there any other kits that you looked at as well before settling on the 450?

Thanks!

-Terry

tstrike

pendejo grande
I think it was the price point that sucked me in with the 450. I looked long and hard at the x650v8 and also the scarab quad, the first I just couldn't make my numbers work for a first time MC, the second was smaller than I wanted to go with. So far I'm pleased but I think most of that pleasure comes from the naza which makes it fairly easy to putter around the yard with. Haven't got a chance to take it to an open area to really let it fly yet though. Plug-n-play with a somewhat easy software interface gave me a better first time experience than I was expecting.

kloner

Aerial DP
i was reading this place trying to understand what was compatible with what and pretty much gave up trying. the one thing i knew was dji wookong flies great in helicopters, and when saw they were just releasing this naza contraption, thet it would be a decent start into this realm of the hobby. I bought mine for myself for Christmas and it had just came out so there wasn't alot of good reports, but the ones that were out noticed most seemed over all pleased.

Now following you guys for a bit, i'm ready for a frame up build of something big with all the goodies, just not sure what yet. It's definately a gateway MR

RCNut

I was already flying a home built Tricopter (based on rcexploere.se) with a KK board and was looking to buy a new self levelling controller to use on it. I had been trying to get a CC board for months and when they released a batch last December, I was overseas and wasn't able to place the order in time, so I missed out again. Looking for alternatives in January, I discovered the newly released Naza which also led me to the F450. At that stage Id already decided to add a Quad to my hangar but I normally wouldn't have bought a ready made multirotor kit because I'm a built-it-yourself kind of guy. After watching a number of YouTube videos I decided to splash out and I have no regrets.

I still think my Tricopter is a little nicer to fly and much easier to orientate from the ground, but the F450 is so stable and compact and easy to transport. Its size also makes it easy to manouver through trees and obstacles which is great for filming.

WillM

A DJI Flamewheel was my first quad. I bought it after a lot of online reading. I don't know how I first came across it, but the GUI 330X with Scorpion motors was the first quad I was interested in. I visited a local hobby shop and found that the only multicopter they carried was the GUI 330x. They had one there that was built. I'm not new to RC, but have been away for quite a while, and never owned anything that could fly. Knowing that I'd eventually jump with both feet in, and that I had no right to buy a real-deal quad as my first flying R/C vehicle, I left the hobby shop that day with a good radio and a couple of bind-and-fly Blade micro helis to practice with. But I digress.

I eventually found these and other forums and started learning about multicopters in general. At the time it was a lot to take in at once, as I had no idea how lipos work, how they are charged, how 4+ channel radios work, how brushless motors & ESCs work, etc. I read...a lot.

My final decision to pick up a Flamewheel & NAZA was heavily influenced by the members of these forums that posted about DJI. Between Youtube videos and posts across several different forums, and the price, the DJI F450 + NAZA 'ARF' combo was an easy choice. I went from wanting the Gaui to needing the F450 + NAZA. From the posts I read, people were getting their kits up and running pretty reliably, and without much aggravation, which is hugely important to me, especially for my first kit. I wanted to build and fly, not trouble shoot, and the DJI gear seemed to be perfect. There was no second choice. Actually, I considered the WKM, but figured it would be better for the 'next one'.

FWIW, the Blade MQX is definitely a 'gateway drug'. Cheap, durable, and tons of fun. I bought a MQX after I bought the NAZA so I could practice in the house. I've found the F450 + NAZA to be an awesome first kit-based multicopter.

mailman35

for me the ar.drone was a gateway drug more like crack then anything else, as cool as it was, it was so quick to end. it kept me wanting more :p and something that could handle various conditions and not have to worry about crap wifi range. :p

Copters3d

Anyone try the F550? I was considering the F450 then came across the Hex version for $160 more. Is it worth the additional cost? what are the advantages over an F450?

Tahoe Ed

Anyone try the F550? I was considering the F450 then came across the Hex version for $160 more. Is it worth the additional cost? what are the advantages over an F450?

2 motors. Just kidding. I have both and the F450 is my go to machine. I love the way it flies with Graupner 10" props. I get 8:30 out of 2650mAh 3S. I fly my F550 with a Naza. When I get time, I will transfer the WKM over to it to test.

ZAxis

Would anyone hand a complete stranger with pretty much zero R/C experience their Tx, point at their multirotor and say ' fly that! '
Well AirconRob did to me with his F450. With a bit of gentle instruction I was away..... and pretty much straight into the nearest overhead power line. Two broken props was the only damage. Instruction continued with several more crashes which only needed the mud brushing off by hand before continuing. This thing is the best starter kit you could get. It was inspiring enough to make me seriously think about getting one for myself.
Zaxis Junior has flown our MK and Droidworx and I've just watched envious at his skill. There is no way I could have ever learnt to fly on that kit. On the other hand, the F450 is just made to crash, burn and carry on.

Zaxis Snr
Andy