Hoverfly Hoverfly Gimbal Controller?

Icke84

i got my problem solved. played around with these calculation mode settings and found out that mode 1 works better for me.
then i tweaked the gain settings and looks like i got a better setup then my gaui gu-ins controller. i will try it tomorrow outside.

i mounted it on the hexa frame like the FC and my gimbal is a cheap ebay gimbal with gaui servos from the crane 3. no poti, no belt. so nick is 1:1

BIGTACO

Well I tried the new firmware. It made things better with regard to roll/yaw coupling but brought on some new stuff. Now the roll axis finds horizontal much better but every so often it will suddenly move quickly by a few degrees for no apparent reason. Same with tilt it seems. When I hold the craft and gimbal in my hands and move it around in a mirror, stabilization is very good. Smooth and accurate. Once it gets in the air things change. My thought is the following things that could be causing these in-air issues:

1) Mechanical deficiencies in the gimbal. Like slop between moving parts or lack of rigidity.
2) Wind or turbulant air hitting the gimbal and causing vibration or "bouncing". This one ties in with 1).
3) Vibrations making their way down to the Hoverflygimbal.
4) EMI/RFI from the other electronics on the craft interfering with the hoverflygimbal.

1) & 2) The gimbal I have built is very rigid and I can percieve zero slop at the moving parts. To test this I turned the hoverflygimbal OFF and flew the craft around as fast as I could making rapid changes in direction over and over again. The video shows smooth footage. Of course its not stabilized but there is no bouncing or jittering or vibrating... This prooves my gimbal structure itself is rigid and "non-sloppy". So I don't think 1) or 2) are cauing the issue.

3) After I upgraded my firmware to 1.9 I fabricated a pretty nice additional antivibration plate to mount the Hoverflygimbal too. Plus if you look at my footage you can see zero vibrations in the footage. Part of this is because I am using avrotos and well balanced blades. Point being I don't believe vibration is casusing my issues.

4) I think this is causing the issue. Hopefully when my enclosure arrives it will resolve the issues.

Firmware 1.9 is out??? I'll try that and see if it fixes my issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

HoverflyGIMBAL firmware version 1.9
After the last update. Began to twitch servo roll. No changes do not help. Even the change to the old version did not help. Prior to this all worked smoothly and gently to version 1.8!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GFLDe77vFw&feature=youtu.be
After the last update. Began to twitch servo roll. No changes do not help. Even the change to the old version did not help. Prior to this all worked smoothly and gently to version 1.8!
URGENT! Waiting for an answer from the manufacturer! What did you do with the firmware?
Servo was complete with suspension. Savox SH-1290MG

Aerovideo

Please forgive my ignorance as I didn't search this thread but it seems there is a new movement in gimbal design where brushless motors are used instead of servos. Will the HFG be able to support these types of gimbals either now or in the future? Seems like you would need some kind of motor controller (esc) for the gimbal motors?

Photronix

Pilot
You said you went back to the firmware version where you didn't have the twitch correct? And this older version has a new twitch? Sounds like a problem with the gimbal hardware then doesn't it? Maybe I'm missing something.

You said you went back to the firmware version where you didn't have the twitch correct? And this older version has a new twitch? Sounds like a problem with the gimbal hardware then doesn't it? Maybe I'm missing something.
No. I returned the old firmware but it did not help! Servo twitch. Reset to default. Did not help. Changed the servo to the other. Did not help. And before the upgrade everything works fine. I believe something because "output rate for the servos (200hz, 100hz, or 50hz)" My servos roll Savox SH-1290MG to 333hz. I draw your attention to the fact that before the update everything worked perfectly! Servo pitch "Savox 1258" 250hz only works fine now.

Photronix

Pilot
When you say you "returned" to old software do you mean you flashed an older version that did not exhibit the problem? With the older software does it now twitch? If the answer is yes then it's not the software.

Is anyone else confused?

When you say you "returned" to old software do you mean you flashed an older version that did not exhibit the problem? With the older software does it now twitch? If the answer is yes then it's not the software.

Is anyone else confused?
Make support 333zh servos, and I think this is no problem. Besides firmware nothing else changed.

And the old jerks but at a new even more. And note that the jerks in the center position.
Fee you designed. You do not know because of what may be the effect? Something does not impress the sudden error. Tomorrow shooting disrupted due to this.

Replaced at least until the servo speed. Twitches in the center but not so much.

JZSlenker

Yeah, I can blow that up.
What Al is saying is that if you went back to the old firmware and you still have the twitch. There must be something that has changed with your physical gimbal set up. Either a servo is going bad or you have more slop than you did before in your mechanical connections.

Everything was decided to install the ferrite rings on the wire near the multi-turn resistor. If anyone is behaving strangely servo, put ferrite rings on the wiring. This solves the problem with the beat. Charge stabilization we screened and placed between the gel in a box. This solves the problem of blockage horizon. I would ask all the same manufacturer to add support to the servo frequency of 333 hertz.

Solomin Alexandr
aerocrane.ru

BIGTACO

Guys not sure if you have seen my issues with the HFG in this thread. But, I have corrected them. I tried a RFI/EMI shielded enclosure and it WORKED. This works. I repeat:

It works. :nevreness:

My gimbal holds horizon now even under drastic and fast yaw with my craft. Meaning "yaw/roll" coupling is now GONE. Also, my little strange twitches and unwanted movements are now GONE. If I take the controller out of the box all my problems come back. If I place it in the box all is great. What more proof do you need? I can thank Rancher Pete for the suggestion. He is A FREAKING GENIUS.

Just saying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Titusx

Guys not sure if you have seen my issues with the HFG in this thread. But, I have corrected them. I tried a RFI/EMI shielded enclosure and it WORKED. This works. I repeat:

My gimbal holds horizon now even under drastic and fast yaw with my craft. Meaning "yaw/roll" coupling is now GONE. Also, my little strange twitches and unwanted movements are now GONE. If I take the controller out of the box all my problems come back. If I place it in the box all is great. What more proof do you need? I can thank Rancher Pete for the suggestion. He is A FREAKING GENIOUS.

Just saying.

Great Bigtaco!!
Could you tell us which DFI/EMI shielded enclosure did you use?

Thanks

My gimbal holds horizon now even under drastic and fast yaw with my craft. Meaning "yaw/roll" coupling is now GONE. Also, my little strange twitches and unwanted movements are now GONE. If I take the controller out of the box all my problems come back. If I place it in the box all is great. What more proof do you need? I can thank Rancher Pete for the suggestion. He is A FREAKING GENIOUS.

Just saying.
We also screened enclosure but with the firmware 1.9 is shaking! With firmware 1.8 does not tremble!

Look at post 253 i think it is. Its rancherpete that came up with it. One of his posts on this thread explain where to get...

Bigtaco: Thanks for your kind words and for testing this idea with an open mind. This shielded 'little black box' is the only thing that has saved me where HFG is concerned and I am delighted that you have had the same positive results. My horizon is now ALWAYS level and many of the other issues I was having have gone away. Happy flying!

Chris187

Hey there!
I have f***ing problems with my hoverfly gimbal controller!
I use it with BLS servos and external potis on roll an pitch and an endless BLS servo on pan. Gimbal is a cinestar.
Currently i'am using a receiver channel at pitch and that's also the Problem:
When i set up the rc between 1.000 and 2.000 and then also set this on the hoverfly it's not working after reboot. There are different issues: 1st: the gimbal starts at a wrong position, 2nd: the gimbal just reacts on the half rc-stick-way.

I have no idea whats the problem. I'am using the actual firmware but i've also tried older versions.

Has anyone an idea?

Chris

I am running an AV200 with external pots / 360 kit. I have the Hoverfly Gimbal board mounted at the front - right side power pins down.

I have adjusted my input/servos to all be "working" in the software -

BUT.. If I setup as described in the manual with

CH1 - roll - set to auto "enabled"
CH2 - PITCH - "enabled" with MODE SWITCH
CH3 - YAW - ENABLED... ( I cannot get the second lower menu to work - to allow to click "mode switch"

When I allow the pitch to "auto" with mode - I can no longer control my camera tray pitch. ( in Angle, pos or Velocity I have full control)

SO, how is it on the software I can see the mode switch go from 0-1-2, and I can watch my yaw, pitch numbers moving and doing as they should.. but when I fire up, I get only Roll axis compensation, and cannot get control of tilt tray.

When I have everything set to auto - My tilt tray wont even move when the heli is moving in any direction. ...
And when I have the mode switch to pos 2 - where my camera tray should lock on angle I make and autocorrect with flight.. it wont do anything either - just goes to the angle then back to home when i let off control stick.

HELP ? Anyone does this make any sense?