Help required seting up new A2

Quinton

I am having a bit of a problem setting up my A2 which I just got.
First things first, how exactly can you calibrate your ESC throttle through the A2
I have connected a a spare rx for each ESC and done throttle calibration through that, but does that not defeat the purpose of the object?

Secondly, I have noticed a small blip (every 10 seconds coincidentally) when I start all motors together, however when I put it into manual mode then the blip turns into quite a noticable shunt in the motors (if that makes sense) every 10 secs.

I am using a Futaba transmitter, I did try and plug my spare rx into X2 to see if it does the same through that, but it wont recognise it, I just get constant blue flashing lights as though the tx is not connected.
The rx and tx are linked, so I cant get the motors started to see if this makes a difference.

I have everything up to date, with all latest firmware installed today.

Quinton

OK I managed to get a separate rx connected, I forgot to move it out of DS16 and into S-BUS
Very interesting the jumps have gone away, I am uploading a video at the moment to describe exactly what it looks/sounds like.

Quinton

Ok video uploaded that will explain it much better.

I feel as though I am a DJI beta tester lately on my own time and expense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Oh dear... weird stuff like that just freaks you out dont it! So how exactly have you got it to go away? Can u post a few pics of your set up. is this your first A2?

Dave

Quinton

Oh dear... weird stuff like that just freaks you out dont it! So how exactly have you got it to go away? Can u post a few pics of your set up. is this your first A2?

Dave

This is my first A2 that came yesterday for my new build Cortex.
I plugged a Futaba R7008SB receiver into the A2 X2 channel as a separate receiver, and all motors are now behaving as expected with no blips.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Sorry Quinton I aint a Futaba user so cant really help. As for being a beta tester I have been doing that since september and still dont have one flying to pay its keep.

Dave

Quinton

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I have two A2 machines, both Y6 one Satellite DSM2 and one via S-BUS. Both have documented and videoed issues. I am waiting till next FW release before I spend any more time on them. Ask your distributor to comment on your issue and if I were you I would send it back NOW and either try a replacement or get a good old WKM.

Dave

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I have 4 flights now on my new A2 as of today, using a Futaba 8FGs bound to the internal A2 rec. It’s on a 800mm Hexacrafter HC-800 with G2 gimbal. It's perfectly smooth.
Also I should say I was not and am not a "DJI fanboy as I mainly fly SuperX and love how smooth that FC is. I found a deal on an A2 that I could not pass up so I snagged one.

That being said, my experience so far has been very pleasant. Except I had an issue with the Mac version of the DJI assistant not showing the “blue boxes” to show me my setup was correct.
but everything was fine on the PC version.

From maiden trip to the 4th flight, no motor burps, no weirdness during yaw, just butter smooth flight and very nice clean descents.
I’m running Avroto 3520s with 65amp Maytech opto SimonK esc’s.

It’s so smooth that my buddy that happens to fly just by chance pulled into the driveway and watched the maiden flight and said “Darn it, now i have to get one of those."

The rig I am using was build and tried with a trusted FC so I knew mechanically it was spot on, and then the A2 was added.

Any chance you have a spare FC you know works perfectly to make sure the rig is mechanically perfect before you slap it in?

Quinton

Any chance you have a spare FC you know works perfectly to make sure the rig is mechanically perfect before you slap it in?

I have a Wokkong on a Skyjib, but I want to leave it there as thats flying really well.
The thing is when I plug a separate receiver into this A2 there are zero blips at all, that would point to there being a problem with the internal receiver surely?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I have a Wokkong on a Skyjib, but I want to leave it there as thats flying really well.
The thing is when I plug a separate receiver into this A2 there are zero blips at all, that would point to there being a problem with the internal receiver surely?

Yea that would make you lean in that direction.
What radio are you using and what setting? Multi or the other one that MT?? (can’t remember off the top of my head)

Quinton

OK the plot thickens.
I am set up as multi using the Futaba T14SG
Started from scratch, added a new model to my transmitter and just added Ail, Ele, Throttle and Rudder..started motors and..guess what..no blips.
Time to start mapping each one now, one by one to see where the culprit might be.

Quinton

OK All sorted now, thank goodness.
Everything is working as normal now, once I started from scratch, must have been something really weird going on.
I had a nightmare at one stage even getting the motors to turn, as the start sticks seemed to be opposite to eachother, and reversing them on the transmitter seemed not to work, they had to be done in the software.

So for my own recollection if I ever need it I will post here what I did, and what I watched/read to get going.

Futaba T14SG With A2 DS16..

A CH1
E CH2 REV
T CH3 REV
R CH4
U CH7 (gps/atti/manual) 76/76 ENDPOINTS
K1 CH5 REV (Knob LD to set Basic Gains)
K2 CH12 REV (Knob RD to set Atti Gains) Looked at manual and video and there seemed to be a bit of contradiction which channel, so just made it 12)
IOC CH10
Go Home CH11 58/58 ENDPOINTS

Will set the other stuff like leg retracts later which should be straight forward.
I take it you still have to set the likes of minimum throttle points for failsafes etc, same as Wookong.
Anything else I am missing that I should be aware of?

Will add links to pages required to get setup, for anyone else moving to the A2 Futaba..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMN4xosIpdg (Video to help)
http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/a2/en/A2_Quick_Start_Guide_v1.08_en.pdf A2 Setup manual

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
I'd probably rebind it in ultimate conditions (outside away from anything) and just make sure it's still acting right...... then drop some props and see what she does

I didn't set anything for throttle, but i'm all simonK never calibrated

Quinton

I'd probably rebind it in ultimate conditions (outside away from anything) and just make sure it's still acting right...... then drop some props and see what she does

I didn't set anything for throttle, but i'm all simonK never calibrated

I was talking about the throttle % whenever you put your machine into failsafe.
Aren't you supposed to set it to minimum 20% for your throttle channel for when example you turned your radio off to make sure the motors don't stop.

kloner

Aerial DP
yes you set the failsafes in the radio.... throttle and failsafe positions like all the rest of there stuff....

funny Dave..... haha, automatically crashes right

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
yes you set the failsafes in the radio.... throttle and failsafe positions like all the rest of there stuff....

No you don't. You set nothing for failsafe RTFM

Dave

Quinton

Well thats why I asked, as theres nothing in the manual about throttle failsafe, actually there never has been even for Wookong, but I "presumed" that everyone was setting throttle failsafe to a minimum of 20% in the event of loss of control or transmitter problems?
Is this not the case, Im relying on people that have been doing this a long time for the correct information...where did setting throttle failsafe actually come from?