Have we come too far too fast?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I'm curious if anyone else is having similar thoughts. As a few companies have released unreliable firmwares that have stuck thousands of our $'s in the dirt, we keep hoping and burning money for the next best thing. I started with Xaircraft and was told it was the best thing ever and flew perfectly. it flew for 2 hours! Next i get the DJI WKM and Naza. both highly impressive and very smooth, but wind destroys these things. Then the firmwares to follow have become so complex that only certain people are happy, the rest are afraid to fly! MK seems to be out of the loop for most since Holger insists on not backing up poor QC. Hoverfly is next on the list to make a comeback and seem to be doing a good job. Their "simple is better" approach is desirable in my book. All I want in a heli is to lift my camera and fly smoothly without any erratic behavior. easier said than done. but I dont need POI,RTH, GPS. I would take RTH as a tool for those long shots that would be nice to get the heli back when out of site but when a few people have had their heli try to go back to China it's not very reassuring when flying a $9k camera on a $5k heli! Now that i am lifting more money and more weight I am starting to feel myself wonder why i dont just go back to single rotor helis. The Hoverfly flew so damn well in manual mode it was unreal. but if I am gonna fly manual, i might as well just get the extra lift, wind performance and auto rotation offered by the SRH. I do like how the multis have fewer parts and are easy as hell to stick a new prop on compared to balancing heli blades. but i feel like we are going to far too fast without testing and that maybe mechanical is actually more reliable?? For Gymkhana 5. we used a mechanical 360 gimbal. It hung to level and had a large shock absorber. the heli weighs 25 lbs with 6 motors the size of a Trex 500. It flies great. The wind blowing down the streets of San Francisco barely bothered it. the gimbal never needed tweaking. The heli used the DJI Woochang with no GPS but for some reason didnt react to wind like the lighter helis. . Again, less is better. You get all these extra features and there is more to go wrong, more to remember and less to be able to fix in the field. I still plan to fly multis. but i am thinking of giving that Gaui X7 a shot if i cant get some decent results soon here.

there is my deep thought for the day. Anyone feeling my pain?

C'mon Hoverfly, you're my only hope.

Last edited by a moderator:

tstrike

pendejo grande
I recently watched a Copterkids video and they were using a SRH lifting the Epic effortlessly and it didn't even look like a huge SRH. I worked with those guys last year in Moab on a Japanese Subaru spot and their rig was less intimidating than a large hex. They didn't piddle around tweaking their gimbal or their rig, it was unpack, mount and balance and fly, pack it up and move to the next location.
Tell me more about this mechanical camera mount, when you say it hung to level are you saying no servo horizon input and just shocks to help ease the sway? Sounds interesting.
hang in there sir-best
tom

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Interesting stuff.

When you say Wookong and Naza are "destroyed by wind" what does that mean? Are you talking about the GPS position hold, or just flying around in stabilize mode?

MK poor quality control?

Admit I'm doing some competitive analysis, but I've had my head buried in Arducopter for so long that I don't know what's going on in the rest of the world, and assumed we are the only ones with problems.

chopper

I've been quietly reading this forum and watching the tide of updates wash in, followed by a smattering of jitters, wobbles, and crashes wash out. I now find myself with a few expensive pieces of kit sitting idle while everything from my flight controllers to gimbal stabilizers wait for solutions and updates. Over the last few days I decided to go back an re-visit my single rotor heli with an older camera mount that easily floats around with my T2i and has produced usable footage from day1. for the first time in a few months i smiled at how stable and forgiving that old unit was. Honestly, i found balancing my heli and reducing vibrations easier than dealing with my hex. balancing all those motors and props makes for many hours. Anyway, I still look forward to a truly high performing hex, my wallet has obtained too many battle wounds to stop now..

For Gymkhana 5. we used a mechanical 360 gimbal. It hung to level and had a large shock absorber. the heli weighs 25 lbs with 6 motors the size of a Trex 500. It flies great.

Any photos/footage of the mechanical gimbal? An interesting idea to think about a bit more.
I think I saw 4 shots in gymkhana 5 that were from an R/C heli? None more than a second. And even then some weren't that stable.

It was interesting to see how stable the shots from the full size heli were. Especially the shot on the barge of him standing next to the car before it zooms right out.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
The real heli was using a cineflex, you cant compete with that. $15k for the day. I have tons of pics/video that I will upload at some point. We had 6 shots in there, and yes for some reason they not only chose a few shaky shots but they left out the best of all the shots from all 4 days! I can understand that it must abe a full time job just looking through footage. There were 60-80 cameras on every shot. That includes the go pro line of course. So many gopros were harmed in the making of that video it was crazy.

As for SRH, the initial thought was that balancing a heli blade well enough to get rid of vibes is a chore and if it touches anything its hours and hours of breaking the head assembly apart. I have never flown a SRH with a real camera. I started with ablade 400 and damn that was like balancing on a beach ball in the pool. So the multi has its place for sure. I think that a SRH would fold up and pack away a lot quicker than multis as well. Taking off the arms on a multi is a few hours of work. And you better get your wires right. I dunno. it seems like a wash. Do you like mechanical problems or computer issues that take a group of software engineers to resolve? I will say that the price of adding an auto pilot to a SRH is becoming comparable to the price of a pro multi.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Interesting stuff.

When you say Wookong and Naza are "destroyed by wind" what does that mean? Are you talking about the GPS position hold, or just flying around in stabilize mode?

MK poor quality control?

Admit I'm doing some competitive analysis, but I've had my head buried in Arducopter for so long that I don't know what's going on in the rest of the world, and assumed we are the only ones with problems.

destroyed by wind meant that it just wont fly smooth enough when the winds get past 10-15. Thats where MK shines. And yes, my QC reference was to quality control. There is a reason they make you solder things....they can blame it on you no matter what happens. complete BS!

Tomstoy2

I hear you, Yuri. I, too, at time wonder how the hell we can shell out so much in pursuit of flight, only to be foiled by a flawed qc policy.
Truth is, there is no control in place to force them to do things the right way. None of what any manufacturer does in this hobby would pass a federal inspection.

And,,, this leads me into another thought,,, shouldn't the FAA make a two prong attack in making our airways a safe place? Say, like imposing a control measure that would force these manufacturers into living up to their own hype?
You can't just attack the end users.
Not that I have any faith in a goverment imposed mandate of any kind, but,,,,

Then, on the other hand, I have to ask myself what the hell is taking so long? If they can have a mosquito fpv spy bug, then why can't we at least get products that work?

Now, I know all about trickle down effects, but it's not like it's that damn hard to do, really. We are just flying, not landing the next rover on Mars, like what is happening next month, ( that's going to be so wild ).

I started with gu-344 and the 'not-so-famous' fy91q to the WKM on 5.02, and was totally blown away. However, 5.06 did not work for me at all, and now I just haven't even upgraded because it's flying just great, finally, on 5.08!
Though, it seems like the problems are centered around the octo's and there doesn't seem to be much negative in the hex side, I'm just gun-shy.

jes1111

I feel I should put in a word here for the OpenPilot project. The entire purpose of the project is to produce a commercial grade flight system at a hobby price. And "commercial" here means "to compete with the big bucks systems": Micropilot and upwards. We've only seen the CopterControl board so far, which was effectively a "freebie" along the way, using the same firmware/GCS base as the still-in-development Revolution system.

As such the apparently slow progress is entirely understandable - the OP policy is to release only when it is truly ready and has been tested to destruction - no commercial pressure to release incomplete or buggy versions. It's a frustrating wait, for sure - but when it is released it will change the landscape. :D

DennyR

I feel I should put in a word here for the OpenPilot project. The entire purpose of the project is to produce a commercial grade flight system at a hobby price. And "commercial" here means "to compete with the big bucks systems": Micropilot and upwards. We've only seen the CopterControl board so far, which was effectively a "freebie" along the way, using the same firmware/GCS base as the still-in-development Revolution system.

As such the apparently slow progress is entirely understandable - the OP policy is to release only when it is truly ready and has been tested to destruction - no commercial pressure to release incomplete or buggy versions. It's a frustrating wait, for sure - but when it is released it will change the landscape. :D

So how many people of capable ability are actually working on this right now?
How is it going to be produced when you get it right?
I do have a high regard for some of the work that has been done in the past but everything seems to move at a very slow pace for your eventual goal of changing any landscapes. Developing stuff that can compete at the highest level requires vast resources, does it not.:tennis:

jes1111

I do have a high regard for some of the work that has been done in the past but everything seems to move at a very slow pace for your eventual goal of changing any landscapes. Developing stuff that can compete at the highest level requires vast resources, does it not.:tennis:
Not sure of the exact number of active devs, Denny - but "a lot" ;)

The production (as with CC and CC3D) is subcontracted to a certified contractor in China. The parts themselves are all sourced directly from Digikey and given to the contractor along with the boards, so they only perform (automated) "pick and place" and soldering. The boards are then shipped to Dankers, who hand solders the headers on then tests every single board. There have been problems with DOA and out-of-spec components on past batches - even though they are the pukka, branded items. The only way to produce to a higher standard than this would be for OP to own its own factory! Anybody who has seen a production CC or CC3D board would agree that the workmanship and finish is first class.

Yes - it does require vast resources, plus the freely donated time of a diverse array of experts in the various disciplines involved, including high-level academics and industry professionals. Which is why it's so good and also why it's so slow.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I've been quietly reading this forum and watching the tide of updates wash in, followed by a smattering of jitters, wobbles, and crashes wash out. I now find myself with a few expensive pieces of kit sitting idle while everything from my flight controllers to gimbal stabilizers wait for solutions and updates. Over the last few days I decided to go back an re-visit my single rotor heli with an older camera mount that easily floats around with my T2i and has produced usable footage from day1. for the first time in a few months i smiled at how stable and forgiving that old unit was. Honestly, i found balancing my heli and reducing vibrations easier than dealing with my hex. balancing all those motors and props makes for many hours. Anyway, I still look forward to a truly high performing hex, my wallet has obtained too many battle wounds to stop now..

Interesting perspectives, because I have been going in the opposite direction. I was working on SRH's, but got frustrated with the difficulty of reducing vibrations. I'd work so hard, only to still have vibrations which can upset the stabilizer and cause a crash. So I got a quad, and I'm having zero vibration problems, and I'm using cheap props I've never even bothered to balance.

Now, if you have no stabilization system, and are simply using a flybarred heli, it's not as critical to reduce vibes as much as it is to prevent vibes from getting to the camera... which is much much easier. But with a stabilization system, the problem is that the main vibrations are in the same frequency range as the FC is sampling the gyros at, which makes it easy to alias a false signal, which causes a crash. Mulitcopter vibration frequency is much much higher than the FC is running at, so it's harder to get that aliasing.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but just another perspective. I think this is a bit of a "grass is greener" thing.

There's a guy in my club who's a good heli pilot, and got into AP back in the good old says by simply mounting a camera on a flybarred heli, as you say. But he tells me about the extreme difficulty he had flying a shoot at a Golf course. Simply flying the length of a single hole was almost impossible because he couldn't see it anymore. Now he looks at what I'm doing and thinks it's amazing.

I have never flown a SRH with a real camera. I started with ablade 400 and damn that was like balancing on a beach ball in the pool.

I had one of those too! What a POS. It was so hopeless trying to learn to fly on that thing. I haven't had this quad for 2 weeks, and I'm already flying it around like an airplane, hovering nose-in, etc. It's SO easy to fly. I'm thinking of shooting some promotional video with some people that have never ANYTHING before. And it's all on default settings. I haven't done anything to it.

I think that a SRH would fold up and pack away a lot quicker than multis as well.

Very true. No doubt here at all. My 600 can fit in a box... I think it's 48" long, by 10" by 14", something like that. And all you have to do is fold the blades back and stick the foam blade holder on.

I've seen a few multirotor designs where they have bullet connectors built into the arm holders, so you just loosen two screws and pop the arms out. But frankly they make me a little nervous, because I already hear about bullet connectors causing problems, and now you're putting mechanical strain on them (to a certain degree anyway). I think a folding X8 with no bullets is the way to go.

I will say that the price of adding an auto pilot to a SRH is becoming comparable to the price of a pro multi.

Are you saying that the price of the SRH FC alone is the same price as an entire multi setup? With DJI, that seems to be true. But there are other options. Some people have been having good results with Align's APS which is $800. And ours is only $200, but I hesitate to really recommend it until I get some flight time in on the latest firmware. It's been over a month since I flew it since I started working on the quad, and much as changed. Probably for the better but I want to see for myself. We had a really terrible yaw control, and I had just fixed it, and then I had a crash while trying to integrate ESC control into the FC. A small crash, I thought I fixed it, but something caused a vibe which then caused a big crash after the FC lost orientation.

And that's the problem with SRH, it's SO easy for something to go off, causing a vibration which upsets the FC. You hear about guys with FBL controllers with a stabilize mode all the time. They're flying around, doing acrobatics, and then flip a switch for the FBLC to bail them out, only it has locked out stabilize mode after a vibration developed mid-flight!

destroyed by wind meant that it just wont fly smooth enough when the winds get past 10-15.

Really? See, I never hear about these sorts of things. I only see people complaining about our performance, and pointing to videos of DJI, Naza, etc. and saying "see how good this is!"

So just flying around in stabilize isn't smooth when there's wind? I've seen some pretty impressive GPS position holds in really heavy winds. How are they doing that?

And yes, my QC reference was to quality control. There is a reason they make you solder things....they can blame it on you no matter what happens. complete BS!

So what kind of problems do you have, and do you know for sure it's NOT your soldering?

And,,, this leads me into another thought,,, shouldn't the FAA make a two prong attack in making our airways a safe place? Say, like imposing a control measure that would force these manufacturers into living up to their own hype?

Please don't ask for that. Civil aviation was affordable before the government got involved in certifications.

IMO, a big part of the issue here is that what this industry is doing, is basically taking completely untrained people, and throwing an avionics system at them, and it's sort of sink or swim. People who do this professionally are given years of education (ie: aircraft technicians), where as in the hobby industry, people are stuck with inaccurate/outdated Wikis, or manuals written in Chinglish. The system itself may be capable, but the systems is hugely complicated, and you have to get EVERYTHING right.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I completely agree it's a grass is greener thing. I am for the most part happy with my multis. I would love to have the wind tolerance of a SRH on my multi though. I would also like to be able to safely lift 10 lbs without having to buy 8 large motors. It would be nice knowing i had one last shot at landing safely if the motor cut out. I also really like the orientation of a SRH compared to the radial configuration of a multi. But that is fixable. The guys who actually fly SRH all tell me it is a PITA. So I have to listen to their experiences. I do remember what a hassle it was to constantly tune the head, track and balance blades.

I was comparing the cost of a $4-5k multi to say a trex 700 or Gaui X7 with autopilot from DJI or heli command. I dont know the big differences between the Aceone and the WK-H but it seems like the same thing as our WKM.

As for my comment on MK, I have never owned MK. This is just a recurring comment I read on the forums.

In reality I will probably keep my multis and just continue to upload "evaluation" firmwares and buggy fixes. In the meantime when a client calls up and asks for a shot, I am not as confident in my equipment as one should be to do this. I am a competent pilot and for the most part would be more than happy in manual mode. But I do like the auto level feature just to help out a little bit. Not take over the heli. And that was the thought behind my original post. We have so many added features that jus the basic flight characteristics have been sacrificed.

ChrisViperM

Iris

The reason I came to this hobby - for me personally it is a hobby - was most propably the same like for a lot of other guys...you watch some youtube stuff, then you visit some suppliers hompages and you are hooked. It seems a dream has come true...just buy that thing, hook a camera to it and you are Mr. Spielberg in the Sky. I started with a GAUI 500X to test the field, and it worked out nicely. Next step was a DJI S800...and I had to wake up....I should have known better. In the meantime my angryness is almost gone and changed to a more cynical mood. But many times I was thinking about guys like you who need their copters as a tool to earn their living. I guess what you need is a reliable working horse without lots of fancy switches and gimmicks. A friend of mine is in the Film industry and a few times I went with him to a set, and only there I could see how concentrated this guys work and how much it takes to get some usable footage. Now everyone can imagine what it means if - on top of it - you have to worry all the time if that damn rig stays in the air or not. If I crash my bird, I ***** a little bit around in the forum, but so what. If you crash it than it's a different story. At this point I have to totally agree - the first time ever - to what Lefebvre said...by changing to Single Rotor Heli you get away from a few problem with Multirotors, but you get a bunch of new ones...and like Lefebvre I got my fair share of Single Rotor. So far the sad side of the story...BUT: If you look at it from a bit further away, what will happen if the PERFECT flying machine will hit the market eventually ? It will be possible for every idiot to hook a camera to this machine and call himself a director, film maker...whatever, and as a result the prices you can charge for a shot will drop. At the moment customers don't have too much choice, but that is going to change. So I think if you can overcome the frustration and do as much as you can to cope with the imperfections of the technology and still deliver a top product, this gives you the time to establish yourself in the industry and still make good money once the "idiots" destroy the market. In other words....the further the PERFECT machine is away, the better it is for your business. I have build up several companies in completely different fields, but the game and the conclusion was always the same: use the time you have with a great idea or a unique product to establish yourself...or be killed by the following price wars. I know that there are always a few customers who know how to keep a wannabe apart from a pro, but in todays economy not many can afford to ditch somebody down who undercut your prices at a rate of 40% or more. The PERFECT rig is great for us hobby dummies, but certainly not for the Pro's.

I am an absult fan of your work and keep watching your video stuff - also from a few other talented artists on this forum - over and over again, and hope this will not change in the next 100 years and be replaced with youtube-wannabe-crap

Chris

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I agree. I have been working with the idea that there is a "window of opportunity" here, to establish a business, before that window closes with the advent of truly plug-and-play, reliable, GPS enabled platforms. Once that day comes, if you're not already established, it's game over. Everybody and their dog will have a flying camera platform. I'm not worried by cheap toys like the AR.Drone, but ~$1000 systems that *actually work* out of the box, and are easy to use. The day is coming. I just got this 3DR quad, about $650 all-in incl. the flight controller, I assembled it in about a day, loaded the firmware, didn't touch a single parameter, and it flies very easy, and I did some GPS hold and RTL last night and it mostly worked. Now, this thing can't carry much weight. But I don't doubt you could put together something that could carry some weight at Hobby King, for less than $1000.

Still, another part of me thinks that we'll never get to the point where these things will be practical for casual commercial use. ie: A factory buys one to inspect the smoke stacks once per year, or police cruisers have one in the trunk they can pull out for reconaisance on the odd occaision they have a shoot-out. It takes skill and practice to fly them. Even if they are the easiest things in the world to fly, point on a map and it goes there, you still have to worry about the flight path, crashing into obstacles, etc. and then also have to consider maintenance. You can't just leave these things rolling around in the trunk of a cruiser for 6 months, and then pull it out and expect to have your Lipos charged and healthy, motor shafts unbent, props on tight... I work with some pretty good tradespeople at my dayjob, but I don't think they could just take this thing and make it work. I don't know if we'll ever get to that point.

So I expect that in the future, there will be an industry of professionals who travel around doing jobs. Same thing as a plumber, or duct cleaners, or whatever... I mean heck, there are people making good money washing windows, just because they can do it better and faster than simply giving the janitor a ladder and a bucket. That's where I think the future lies. And all of the preceding is not even talking about professional aerial photography, where you have to add photographic skills to the mix.

Kilby

I agree. While I love my CC board, and applaude Open Pilot for the efforts thus far, the target that you are shooting for is not stationary, it's moving very fast. By the time they get their full board out and released, there will be 4 other companies that already beat them to it. I hardly think that will change much landscape. At most, it will equal out some of the pricing with the competition.

jes1111

Like the old saying goes: Buying a Nikon doesn't make you a photographer - it just makes you a Nikon owner ;)

After several careers in other, diverse fields I decided seven years ago to turn a hobby into a profession and became a photographer. It took a while, I had some good breaks and a few bad knocks along the way but I'm now "comfortably" established in my field: all my gear is paid for, my bills are up to date and there's even a little left over. Yet "photography" has during that time experienced a deep revolution in the accessibility of the "tools of the trade" - any little idiot can buy a plastic Canon and call himself a "pro". Sure, I've lost jobs to ridiculous low-ball quotes. And I've had clients that couldn't tell a good picture from a boil on their backside! But I've survived and prospered for, I think, three key reasons:

1. I'm good at what I do.
2. I've kept my prices "on the high side" from Day 1.
3. I've proved to clients that I'm "in it for the long haul".

I can't imagine that multirotors will ever be as prolific as digital cameras. But if they ever were, I'd hope that sticking to those three "rules" would enable me to make a successful living.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I agree. While I love my CC board, and applaude Open Pilot for the efforts thus far, the target that you are shooting for is not stationary, it's moving very fast. By the time they get their full board out and released, there will be 4 other companies that already beat them to it. I hardly think that will change much landscape. At most, it will equal out some of the pricing with the competition.

Very true. For a while, we were doing that saying "Yeah, it's not perfect, but we're getting closer!"... meanwhile the Naza came out, HK released the KK boards, etc....

It reminds me of back when I was an engineer at Ford ~10 years ago. We'd do a competitive tear-down analysis on a Honda or Toyota, and everything they did was better, a lot better in some cases. Particularly on some engines. And I'd hear other engineers say "Well, we'll have that when we release the XXXX engine in 4 years." I kept saying guys... do you really think Toyota is sitting still? They're KILLING us. We've got this cast iron, pushrod V6, and they have an all-aluminum DOHV V6 with 6 bolt mains and a ladder frame girdle in their MINIVAN!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I just want to clarify that I am not really frustrated or angry as I am in idle mode. I thought it would be interesting to see where people stand on the multi vs. SRH heli again. It's been a while as multi's have taken over the market almost completely. Ironically this comes at the same time as a "why do you fly multi's" competition. :)

I fortunately have a real job. I would also have no interest in flying RC if it werent for video. never thought Id say that but it's true. And i totally agree that the hobby being difficult to get perfect is what separates the kid with mommy money from someone who wants to dedicate quality time to this as a potential career.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
"And I've had clients that couldn't tell a good picture from a boil on their backside!"

Jes, I have to agree this was not a professional photographer who took this.

View attachment 5255

Attachments

• dcsrdbhtg.jpeg
    dcsrdbhtg.jpeg
    11.7 KB · Views: 526