have I thrown away all this money for nothing?

kloner

Aerial DP
bad CG makes atti and altitude hold change with tilting the craft.

the sunlight bit is a sudden fall, even with full throttle it falls till the sun gets off the controller

breeze will make it drift in atti, gps will add input to keep it in place. if atti is consistently drifting one direction, theres something called imu calibration. you put it on a flat table, hit calibrate, fly, add correction next time you calibrate it till it's holding relatively still. if your expecting it to jump up and sit in one place forever in atti your nutts. You have to fly these things. if that's a problem, your still needing to fly gps mode.

i believe your gonna be something like 8-10 degrees off set. standing behind the craft, the wire should point off to the right, say 8 degrees will get ya going. Theres a website to calculate it, but using that to start, calibrate the gps, then fly straight lines and see if it's going straight or flying a little sideways, turn the gps puck till it's flying nice straight lines, recalibrate it, and you should have a rock solid gps system

drdrums

in atti it will mostly maintain level flight and mostly stay at when elevation i throttle it to. if I try and fly it in a direction it wont hold elevation very well. When in hover it drifts in what ever direction it chooses. if I dont keep adjusting with the ail/elev stick it will drift until collision or dead battery..lol

You didn't say what mode this was in (or I missed it). The copter will drift randomly on ATTI mode even after leveling itself; more so in manual, where it will hold whatever attitude you command, so you do need to continually correct out drift. So long as the drift is random (you don't see a continual tendency to pull in a particular consistent direction), this is perfectly normal.

If the copter feels twitchy, consider dialing in some expo on your transmitter. My quad felt much more twitchy in manual vs. ATTI, so I have my TX setup to add about 20% expo when I switch to manual. Made it much better.

I expected a battle to get it to work. I expected a battle to get it to take off. I learned that no matter what any one says...they are mostly full of BS when they say it flew perfect right out of the box/build table. And I love trouble shooting but when I follow all the standard protocals and dialing in and all of the hours (going on 62hrs) to make it lift off with out shooting into the woods down the road. But aggravated is exactly what I get when everything I do does nothing if that to make it fly as advertised. I expect something to perform as advertised. I expect something to work when it is dialed in as directed. maybe not 100% but close enough to consider it a success and then it is all fine tuning and adjusting until perfect. When I follow the steps and the manual to a TEE and when initiated the thing shoots off into the trees and not responding to commands...something is wrong.

Now..before someone says "Turn the Tx on" or Check your batteries or read the manual and use the assistant software....well...I have and did and do.. I'm not a total wanker.

But what i CAN say is this.

There have been some amazingly helpful people. Some not so much.

And the suggestions and advice have also be good for those that arent as skilled as others and thats why I love these forums.

Anyhow...

Have a great day everyone...im flying my foamies today...

You didn't say what mode this was in (or I missed it). The copter will drift randomly on ATTI mode even after leveling itself; more so in manual, where it will hold whatever attitude you command, so you do need to continually correct out drift. So long as the drift is random (you don't see a continual tendency to pull in a particular consistent direction), this is perfectly normal.

If the copter feels twitchy, consider dialing in some expo on your transmitter. My quad felt much more twitchy in manual vs. ATTI, so I have my TX setup to add about 20% expo when I switch to manual. Made it much better.

In Atti it does drift a bit. Right now I notice it tends to drift to the back and right. I have tried trimming it out but it doesn't seem to affect it.
And when I say drift I should have stated...it wanders....like a lost kid with ADD in a toy store...lol

bad CG makes atti and altitude hold change with tilting the craft.

the sunlight bit is a sudden fall, even with full throttle it falls till the sun gets off the controller

breeze will make it drift in atti, gps will add input to keep it in place. if atti is consistently drifting one direction, theres something called imu calibration. you put it on a flat table, hit calibrate, fly, add correction next time you calibrate it till it's holding relatively still. if your expecting it to jump up and sit in one place forever in atti your nutts. You have to fly these things. if that's a problem, your still needing to fly gps mode.

i believe your gonna be something like 8-10 degrees off set. standing behind the craft, the wire should point off to the right, say 8 degrees will get ya going. Theres a website to calculate it, but using that to start, calibrate the gps, then fly straight lines and see if it's going straight or flying a little sideways, turn the gps puck till it's flying nice straight lines, recalibrate it, and you should have a rock solid gps system

That sounds like a good place to start. Only thing I expected in atti was it not to try and dance like a ballerina with out controlling it. But what I am looking for is for GPS to hold it still at hover (mostly). I don't expect it to pop up and become frozen in place like I see all these videos on youtube showing. Thats expecting more than I should from any device. I never base any reality on advert videos as they are probably done by guys who write the code....I don't so I don't know their level of tuning.

Aggrevated... I have to ask.. Your originally from England, Right? but now living in Florida?

lol No sir.
I HAVE spent a lot of time with them and several years in England. I dated an Irish woman for all of 6 years as well. I could hardly understand her when she got mad..lol Short little fiery red head!

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
lol No sir.
I HAVE spent a lot of time with them and several years in England. I dated an Irish woman for all of 6 years as well. I could hardly understand her when she got mad..lol Short little fiery red head!

I just picked up on a couple of words you used.... "Bloody" is one of them, and "Complete Wanker" was the other. I was born in England and got a laugh out of the words, when I read them. lol

I just picked up on a couple of words you used.... "Bloody" is one of them, and "Complete Wanker" was the other. I was born in England and got a laugh out of the words, when I read them. lol

lol yeah it seems I am picking up on things like their favorite expletives. Sometimes the people I work with get funny looks on their faces until the section manager comes in. He is from bornmouth or something like that. bournmouth? anyways.. thats where he reigns from.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Yeah, I have been there a few times.... full of old people. lol, maybe I need to return, seeing as I am getting there too.

I get the same way as your ex... I get mad, people just look at me with a confused face, otherwise most can understand my "Yanklish" accent as my buddy calls it... lol

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomagmodels/struts/calcDeclination put in your zip code and hit calculate then look at the map, turn your gps pod's arrow in the direction on the map.

I had to go to the home page and then find it. that page was phased out in december. This is the declination based on the closest city to me. Now..where do I need to put this little tid bit of info? And thanks by the way. I have found a new web site to play with lol
here is the link for me: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag-web/#declination
US Historic Declinationclose
Latitude: 29° 57' 19" N
Longitude: 81° 30' 46" W
Year Declination (+ E | - W)
2013 -6° 5.0'

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
That part I am not sure of, but I believe if your pointing your copter in the direction of magnetic north, you need to rotate your GPS head -6° off! I am not 100% sure on this.

tstrike

pendejo grande
Tell google it doesn't work, I just did a search for magnetic declination and that's the first page that came up. Whatever, turn your pod 6 degrees to the left or just say "F##k it" and go fly your foamies.

Edit: my puter must have had it cached, you figured it out.

"Buy me a RTF quad and I crash once, teach me to build my own quad and I can crash for a lifetime"

Last edited by a moderator:

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
Aggrevated don't worry, it took me two weeks to get my F450 to fly and went way over budget. It would have been nice to have a clear and concise manual come with everything. Rather than jumping all over the wiki. Now that it is flying though it is extremely rewarding.

After approx. 20 flights I am still fine tuning everything.

I suggest you have a read through this document I found the other day - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showatt.php?attachmentid=5067279

It explains some important things about the Naza including magnetic declination, setting up failsafe accurately etc.