F450 weight problems

Fireeater

I am currently trying to set up my first FPV system using:

-DJI 450 frame w/ added upper and lower frame plates to protect added hardware
-DJI 2212 motors
-Turnigy Plush 30A
-Crius SE board (cannot currently budget the NAZA )
-Spektrum AR6200 reciever w/ satellite
-Earthview FPV584 Plug and Play 5.8 GHz 400mW Wireless System
-Iris aerial landing gear and batwing
-GoPro 2 w/ impact case
-Zippy 5000mah 20c/30c 3sp1
-APC SLowfly 10x4.7 props

The total weight is roughly 1700gr. I have not been able to fly with the FPV gear added due the unfavorable weather conditions but when I input the info into eCalc, the program states that my hovering throttle is 83% and the dreaded * For good maneuverability you need Throttle of less than 80% * suggestion appears. I have inputed multiple different prop and battery configurations and have not found one that will not give me a red box somewhere in eCalc. I am also above the suggested payload wieght of the F450 by 100gr. I have noticed others on this site with far more harware on their F450 which should be equalling more weight than mine. Yet they seem to have good flying experiences. Do I need to change something in my setup or is ecalc blowing smoke where the sun dosen't shine? Oh ya I almost forgot; what motor are you guys using in the motor section of Ecalc to mimick the DJI 2212/ 920? I found a thread suggesting to use Pulso 2212/260(920) but I dont know if this is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fireeater

I have played with eCalc for a while and come up with a plan using a 5000mah 4s1p battery and Gruapner 10x5's props for this setup. The motor amp rating is at 16.11 with this setup. Is it safe to go over the manufacturers 12amp max?

slaffe

I have more or less the exact same setup, and the copter weights around 1700 give or take 50g. No problem with the hovering. Have only been flying inside of my livingroom due to weather conditions. And I get around 10 mins airtime. I wouldnt put to much time into eCalc though.

Fireeater

I like the 3s setup due to the complatible voltage with other add ons and cheaper batteries. Though the word around the campfire is that the 4s gives you a more efficient motor and the ablility to handle heavier weights with a decent flight time. I would be content with a 10 min flight time but I would always be happier with more. The voices in my head are telling me to upgrade to the 550. I could get a more stable and longer flight. All that would be needed is two more esc's, motors, arms, and a body, which would come to a grand total of around 100 bucks. This hobby is making me never content and poorer.