graupner 10x5

mailman35

got any onboard video?
me? nah i just went out in the parking lot at work and flew for a bit. no cam as of yet, still waiting for it to arrive then to figure out when and how to mount and for the weather to clear up so hopefully by monday for that.

mailman35

got the go pro mounted up, with the zeal tape and then the gopro mount on the bottom plate, i did the pool noodles to get the extra ground clearance, did a test video in side and with the stock 10in props, and im not seeing any real jello at this time! :p hopefully i can get some good outdoor video tomorrow.

kloner

Aerial DP
not bad, that zeal is the ticket. keep a good eye on it and it's adhesion, especialy in the summer when it gets hot. if it looks like it might fall off, it probably will. but for noise/jello, its the ticket

one motor stands out, think the prop on one is making the bearings rattle just a hair. are any of the motors warm when you come down? If you want to really see how your jello is doing, try changing to 1080p and in the next setting, change it to narrow. that is the hardest one

Your also gonna find that hovering and going straight up and down are the least likely to jiggle, seems like fast forward flight and full throttle up, up/forward was my first hurdle, then the going fast and forward thing and w/ descent. looks great

mailman35

yeah one of the motors was warm, so the next step is to upgrade the bearings and see what i can do there, will try the other settings when i get home as well as some forward flight.
with the tape and the summer i wonder if it would make sense to just drill through the bottom plate just to attach a bolt or something? or would that transfer the vibes straight through the tape...

kloner

Aerial DP
bolt will defeat the tape, if your worried, use a velcro strap around the hoof. I put some shoe goo on my frame and used the supplied double side on the gopro hoof, no sign of failure and it's been 80

It's most likely a prop outta balance making that motor warm. oil the bearings too.

mailman35

the bearings arent sealed?
and i just got the prop balancer last night didnt have time to set it up or anything.
i also used the sitcky sides of both the zeal and the gopro mount to stick it to the frame, i looked for shoe goo but coudldnt find it in walmart.

(edit)
just ordered 10 bearings, once i get them i will replace them all and then see :p

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
not like they never need oiling sealed, they have a metal dust guard on em, about it. sealed like your talking usually have a rubber dust cap, and even then i oil everything on all of em,,,, all except them orange bocas

To check a motors bearings, an easy way is to hold the leg under a motor and spin the motor. if you feel anything, the bearing is shot. if there all smooth but you get a noise out of one motor loud like your vid had, it's most likely an out of balance prop....... I'm not an engineer, but i've found all that true when was getting mine back from trying to kill it. a hot motor that you can't feel the bearings on is definately the one to chase the balance on. alot of times it's the side to side balance of a prop doing it on mine, put the graupners on totaly balanced so they wouldn't stop any certain spot on the balancer made all my motors cold. with the apc, i always had one warm motor.

mailman35

oh wow oh wow!
these props are so worth the money. and not a lot of balancing is needed either! :p
yay!

(edit)
indoor test with the gopro doesnt show any jello so we will see what the outdoor test shows tomorrow :p

mailman35

so far no jello, but in the air i still get the same sound from one of the motors, so i dont know if by chance i do have bad bearings or not. but wow she flys nice now :p

kloner

Aerial DP
To really start figuring it out, it helps to have a spare 4mm shaft, see if you can get the one out of the motor you smoked. You want to slide it into a bearing and push on the side of it while you spin it, your trying to make the balls touch the races so you can feel any notches or lumps in them. the balls run along really thin metal called a race thats really easy to dimple, bend, thrash. only way to feel it is to push on it, not hard though, it's easy to make more damage, just enough tension so you feel the thing. once you hit a bad bearing, theres no mistaking it

mailman35

yeah well im planing on putting that pos toasted motor back in as i think its just bearings. you havent found a way to replace the shafts yet have you? i know there is a set screw holding it in place but could never get the shaft out...

kloner

Aerial DP
yes i did, here

http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Outrunner-70g-Replacement-Shaft-70g-Shaft.htm

but it wont have the flat spot the screws sit on, but not really necessary. they also would have to br trimmed to length, there a little long. dremel type work, hardened stainless shaft.

To remove a shaft, take the set screw out, take the barel off the other part of the motor, c clip off, take pliers where the c clip sits, squeeze hard and turn the red'black barrel and it'll spin then slide off. there pretty tight

mailman35

man oh man she flys great, no jello other then the sound im getting from the cam alone, so i dont know if by chance its the housing thats causing it. as i do not hear it when im flying, just on the recording.