Gimbal Jitters.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Hi all,

I'm using the QuadFrame-dot-com gopro camera gimbal on my DIJi Naza F550. The Hex is really stable and vibration free. My servos for the gimbal are the Spektrum 3010 Sub micro Servos and I'm getting jitters from the servos that really show up in my video.

Can any suggest a fix for this, would analog servos be better, or should I hack the gimbal to put larger servos inside? Regardless, this really sucks, but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg either.

Please help.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Wow, that's cheep.

I'll post a vid of the gimbal when I get home, but for now this will have to do. Keep in kind I have the Ear Plug dampeners mounted under the GoPro.
http://youtu.be/Y0mee7lEWQ0
<a href="http://youtu.be/Y0mee7lEWQ0" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(28, 98, 185); cursor: pointer; font-family: arial, sans-serif; ">[video]
http://youtu.be/Y0mee7lEWQ0[/video]

Oh wow, i just reviewed the vid on Youtube and it's quality is aweful, but I hope it can help. I'll do better when I get home.

Last edited by a moderator:

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I'm amazaed how similar your set up is to mine. :nevreness:

You could also use a 6.6V 200mAh Li-Fe receiver pack to run the servos. I'm going to use my friend's pack to test it out.

animau

I'm amazaed how similar your set up is to mine. :nevreness:

You could also use a 6.6V 200mAh Li-Fe receiver pack to run the servos. I'm going to use my friend's pack to test it out.

yep +1 on that
but i don't want for my case to put more weight on my f550

Run a BEC off one our your each connections to power the servos. A nice castle 10a one will work great and is programmable. Weighs nearly nothing. Problem solved.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Good point Animau, weight is an issue.

@Carguy471,
I found this diagram and it looks pretty easy.

View attachment 5546

Attachments

• a5024957-220-p0005_05.jpg
    a5024957-220-p0005_05.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 480

animau

is it important to connect the black wires all together..even the one from FC?
or is it ok to just tap red and black from to servo to bec and only the signal from FC to servo

tks

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
is it important to connect the black wires all together..even the one from FC?
or is it ok to just tap red and black from to servo to bec and only the signal from FC to servo

Good question, I was wondering the same thing.

I got the image from RC Groups /forums/showthread.php?t=1640382&page=10

Just type the RC Groups URL in before the /forums/

dkorick

Have you tried lowering the gain for the gimbal servos? I had jitter before adjusting down to around lower 20's. I didn't try going much higher after jump right to the 20's as I am more than happy with the results. I am using Hitec 5065mg servos on both roll and tilt with F550 Naza, GPS, Arexcraft gear/gimbal and GoPro II. I do notice that leveling when in a bank turn takes about 1 second, but I generally don't bank hard while taking video. When taking video I put my controls on a dual rate to greatly decrease the directional speed and it allows me to keep constant speed when the sticks are fully deflected. My DX8 has tripple rates and I fly with standard full through, DR1 at 20% and DR2 at 10%. Rudder is a bit slower at 10 and 5% giving a constant speed 360 degree rotation in about 1 minute. At 20 or 10% I get a nice slow even forward or side movement. I found I couldn't keep steady speed without dualrates, but with it's fairly easy.

Im using Rob Greens' (AeroXcraft Ltd) F550 landing gear and GoPro gimbal with a Castle programmable BEC and Futaba S3156 servos.

Ive tried the BEC at the out-of-the-box 5.1v as well as programming it to 6v. Quite honestly, I can't see any real difference in performance. Admittedly, by the book the servos are a little faster and have a little more torque at 6v. However, it's a difference of a millisecond or less ...and even less in terms of torque. I finally just left it at the stock 5.1v

Yes....tie all of the grounds (blacks) together.

I don't get any jitter. However, I do get a little slop either from gear slap in the servos or tolerance-wobble from the gimbal parts. I suspect the latter. Solid as a rock without the motors running, spin it up and it bounces around a bit.

....sT

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Hey thanks for the info. I didn't know I could play with dual rates on the Naza, Before this I had the Copter Control board. The Copter Control does not like dual rates or trim, it's all done in the GCS. This is great to know. My gimbal gains are at 20 I believe, I tried 30 but that was too fast. Ya know, it's strange, I tried the crappy E-flight servos that were in my Blade-SR and while there was a little jitter it seemed to be less than in the new Spektrum 3010s I got.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
When you say the "BEC at the out of the box", do you mean the BEC thing that comes with the Naza, or do you mean some other UBEC? If this is the case I'll have to look at the gimbal section again and see about changing the voltage.

animau

Im using Rob Greens' (AeroXcraft Ltd) F550 landing gear and GoPro gimbal with a Castle programmable BEC and Futaba S3156 servos.

Ive tried the BEC at the out-of-the-box 5.1v as well as programming it to 6v. Quite honestly, I can't see any real difference in performance. Admittedly, by the book the servos are a little faster and have a little more torque at 6v. However, it's a difference of a millisecond or less ...and even less in terms of torque. I finally just left it at the stock 5.1v

Yes....tie all of the grounds (blacks) together.

I don't get any jitter. However, I do get a little slop either from gear slap in the servos or tolerance-wobble from the gimbal parts. I suspect the latter. Solid as a rock without the motors running, spin it up and it bounces around a bit.

....sT

Are you happy with the 3156? i've got one for the roll and hitec 65mg for tilt and the last one got some jittering, even with a 6v BEC....so i've just order another 3156..
i hope it will be fine...

Stacky

I had some bad jitters on a gimbal on the roll axis and the fix was a more powerful servo. I thought the servo I had was strong enough but even though the specs indicated it should have handled the amount of torque required it simply didnt have enough grunt.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I had some bad jitters on a gimbal on the roll axis and the fix was a more powerful servo. I thought the servo I had was strong enough but even though the specs indicated it should have handled the amount of torque required it simply didnt have enough grunt.
Hi Stacky,
Were your servos micro? With my little gimbal I can only take micro servos.

Bowley

I find my gimbal far more jittery with Naza than it was with XA FC1212S/ AHRS. What I find is that with the gains set sufficient to maintain a level horizon and fixed attitude in tilt, then it performs awful. the only way I can get it anywhere near steady which it isnt is with the gains dialled right down, this way it just takes the edge off any unwanted motion of the MR, more damping than stabilizing. I have savox hi speed hi res servo's as well.