Zero UAV GEMINI Dual-Redundancy Autopilot

Vivien Y

[FONT="&#23435]GEMINI Dual-Redundancy Autopilot
Excellence Beyond Safety

GEMINI Multi-rotor Stabilization Controller
Zero UAV GEMINI multi-rotor stabilization controller is a complete flight control system for various multi-rotor platforms, for commercial and industrial AP applications. It opens an
unprecedented era of dual redundancy flight control systems.
GEMINI comes with Master Controller and Slave Controller, included two MC(IMU inside), two GPS/COMPASS, which ensure safty by auto-switching the control to the other one whenever
one occurs out-of-control; The ground station is monitoring the status of two cotrollers, and warning users whenever any one device occurs error of switching to the other one and keep
normal working, which greatly increase the safty of almost none accident, which highly improved the stability and reliability of your flight.
Its high performance antenna, low noise anti-interference front-end RF design, accurate position and speed calculating, represent comprehensive technological breakthroughs. These
combined features make the positioning performance of the GPS near perfection; With higher accuracy performance, larger measuring range, and a unique damping design and calibration
algorithm, the MC(IMUinside) is able to provide stable output even in high vibration and large movement environments. Based on the technology and design philosophy of Zero UAV YS
Series of high-performance controllers, the GEMINI offers you a brand new flight experience for safty ensured. The GEMINI adopts a full metal case design and utilizes high quality
components precisely calibrated with temperature compensation in all gyros and sensors, industry renowned flight algorithm in flight control and UAV field

FEATURES
*GEMINI-M/GEMINI-S CAN BE SEPERATED TO WORK INDEPENDENTLY ON DIFFERENT AIRCRAFT SYSTEM
* COMBINE YS-S4 TO BE DUAL REDUNDANCY AUTOPILOT
*SECURITY ENSURANCE AND GCS ALARM
*AUTOMATIC PARACHUTE OPENING IN EMERGENCY
*AUTOMATIC DODGING LANDING GEAR
*AERIAL ROCKER-ARM FUNCTION WITH 256 WAYPOINTS AVAILABLE
*INNOVATIVE HIGH STABLE FPV MODE
*SUPERIOR ENTIRE SYSTEM PERFORMANCE
*AUTOMATICALLY FULFIL MULTIPLE AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHY MISSION
*SUPPORT SHUTTER OF MULTIPLE CAMERAS
*MOBILE/TABLET/PC AS TERMINAL GCS
*DATA CONFIGURATION ON HANDHELD DEVICE AVAILABLE
*SERVO GIMBAL & ZERO UAV BRUSHLESS GIMBAL STABILIZATION
*BUILT-IN DAMPER,ENHANCED DAMPING FUNCTIONALITY
*MONITOR REAL TIME POWER AND VOLTAGE (POWER CACULATION MODULE OPTIONAL)
*EXTENDED WITH DATALINK (DATALINK MODULE OPTIONAL)
*9 TYPES OF MULTI-ROTOR AND A CUSTOMIZED MOTOR MIXER
*MULTIPLE FLIGHT CONTROL MODES/ INTELLIGENT SWITCHING
*HIGH ACCURACY AND INTUITIVE FLIGHT EXPERIENCE
*PRECISE POSITION HOLD AND WIND RESISTANCE
*INTELLIGENT ORIENTATION CONTROL (IOC)
*POINT OF INTEREST (POI)
*128 WAYPOINTS GROUND STATION CONTROL SYSTEM
*ENHANCED FAIL-SAFE AND AUTO GO HOME/LANDING
*MULTI-ROTOR ONE-MOTOR FAIL PROTECTION
*SUPPORTS ONLINE FIRMWARE UPDATES

TECH Specifications
Supported Multi-rotor
Quad-Rotor: +4,x4;
Hex-Rotor +6,x6,Y6,Rev Y6;
Octo-Rotor +8,x8,V8
Supported ESC output
Common PWM
Receiver Supported
Futaba S-Bus and all commen receiver by adding the conventer module
Recommended Battery
2S ~ 6S LiPo
Operating Temperature
-5°C to +60°C
Assistant Software System Requirement
Windows XP SP3 / 7 /8
Other Zero UAV Products Supported
Z2000, Z1400, OSD, 900mhz Data Link, E1100, HighOne

Flight Performance
Hovering Accuracy(In GPS Mode)
Vertical: ± 0.5m
Horizontal: ± 1.5m
Maximum Wind Resistance
< 8m/s (17.9mph/28.8km/h)
Max Yaw Angular Velocity
150 deg/s
Max Tilt Angle
35°
Ascent/Descent
±5m/s
Electrical & Mechanical
Power Consumption
MAX 5W (Typical Value: 0.3A@12.5V)
Built-In Functions
Built-in Receiver
Multiple Control Modes
3-axis Gimbal Supported
Servo Gimbal Supported
Low Voltage Protection
Intelligent Orientation Control
Vibration Alarm

[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronan

Been looking at it, might be a great safety solution for some of us.

How come they never have pricing and their website is always down?...

ZAxis

I am very confused as to the benefit of dual redundancy. The minimum redundant system is a triple channel one where it can use 2 out of 3 voting to decide what is probably the correct value. How does the dual system decide? Toss of a coin?
So I am not convinced its any positive advantage other than marketing fluff.

andy

GASSED

Just a note to all Gemini user if you do not have a parachute connected to your machine and lets say you are flying in the wind and a gust tilts your machine to 70deg it will fall like a rock from the sky as the mc will shut down the motors, this will also not give your mc chance to correct the problem because it has locked the motors.

Another problem is I have a dual redundancy system and had a vibration on the machine just before the crash which according Zero caused the imu to error. The sad part is the slave did not even activate or do anything, so money spent to help save the day..........no my x8 crashed. I had 2 crashes in a very short time before this crash which were ap related using ys-x6p so I upgraded to the gemini but this did not help much.

Just to add the parachute helps nothing if you are not high enough and the function can not be disabled.

It will also not allow the slave to take over because the master has locked the motors. It has happend twice before flowen in windy conditions and while flying and the machine hits a sudden gust of wind it tilted quite a bit stopped, stabilized and flew futher (ys-x6). This will not happen if you got the Gemini, and if you had a parachute and you are high enough that would be cool but not if you where lets say over a lake or area that was not accessible.

I have been sending e mails back and forth and back and forth to Zero who will not admit to the failure of there dual dedundancy....this is crazy????

The first crash the barometer came off the mc's board and machine went out off control and crashed. damages to my machine was about 2500$. I got it back from Zero flew three times then it would not power up and had to send it back again, second crash the gps modual malfunctioned and that crash was the expensive one at about 5000$ (trashed the machine and buildt a new one) including new Gemini not to mention it was at a customer and in fact lost the work there and that was about 10000$ per year . In both cases (after sending the hj file) Zero asked me to send at my cost the ap's back checked the out and sent them back at my costs for shipping. These are not empty statements I have all the mails saved on my pc.

I have been fly and building for a year and a half with multirotors now, I am not the pro or know it all but also not an idiot.

Cheers

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
What aircraft have you been flying this on? That's one hell of a gust of wind to create a 70 degree + tilt on the aircraft.

GASSED

The last crashes had nothing to do with wind the imu error ed which caused the tilt which in return caused the patachute funtion to lock motors and this then did not let the slave take over.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
@SleppyC; which configuration do you have?

Sorry I was traveling for GSN. I have the duel redundancy version. And it's been awesome.
had my first issue and it was my cam op's fault. Switched to PRC6 batt plugs and redid all 30 sets of 6S batteries. Well at 3am I did one wrong.
So my Cam Op popped the battery in, and POP blew out both the Gemini power box and the gimbals power box.

Order replacements and the gimbal box is correct, the FC one they sent is not the same.. so now I have to try and deal with customer service! Whoo Hoo!
here we go!

Mojave

Sorry I was traveling for GSN. I have the duel redundancy version. And it's been awesome.
had my first issue and it was my cam op's fault. Switched to PRC6 batt plugs and redid all 30 sets of 6S batteries. Well at 3am I did one wrong.
So my Cam Op popped the battery in, and POP blew out both the Gemini power box and the gimbals power box.

Order replacements and the gimbal box is correct, the FC one they sent is not the same.. so now I have to try and deal with customer service! Whoo Hoo!
here we go!

Thanks for the reply - I decided on another FC for now but I will keep an eye here.

Maverick XA

Is it difficult to setup?

The setup has its challenges for the newb. Working you way through the steps is not simple, particularly with the off the shelf FC.
The units that are preinstalled in the Highone and E1100 have their sensitivity parameters preset.
In the 'off the shelf' versions, many of the pitch & parameters are set to 0.
if you check the Highone & E1100 manuals, you will find some factory setups which will give you some starting points. You can then tailor these to suit your machine.

for me, I love it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maverick XA

Been looking at it, might be a great safety solution for some of us.

How come they never have pricing and their website is always down?...

Their website is a bit clunky because they are building a new website.
They don't have pricing because they are setting up regional distributors.

Maverick XA

I am very confused as to the benefit of dual redundancy. The minimum redundant system is a triple channel one where it can use 2 out of 3 voting to decide what is probably the correct value. How does the dual system decide? Toss of a coin?
So I am not convinced its any positive advantage other than marketing fluff.

andy

This dual redundancy system has 2 GPSs, 2 IMUs & 2 Compasses.
It is setup as a master and slave config. If one component fails, it can continue to function until it returns to base.

Mav

ZAxis

This dual redundancy system has 2 GPSs, 2 IMUs & 2 Compasses.
It is setup as a master and slave config. If one component fails, it can continue to function until it returns to base.

Mav

So.... how does it know a component has failed has failed?
Still not convinced.

andy

Maverick XA

here we go!

Keep us posted with dealing with customer service. Always interested to know how the support is with some of these companies.

Mav

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
redid all 30 sets of 6S batteries.
at 3am I did one wrong.
my Cam Op popped the battery in and blew out both the Gemini power box and the gimbals power box.
it was my cam op's fault.

WARNING: Do not try that line of logic with your wife! Hasn't worked for me yet...

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
My Gemini flipped at 40ft totalling my copter. On sending my logs into Zero they just claim that my voltage was too low at 21.3v Given that with that setup I have always flown to 21.1v (22.1v when not under load) and used just under 80% of battery capacity, I am calling BS on Zero UAVs explanation. So despite the dual redundancy it did not save the copter on this case. Very disappointed with the controller and the explanation from Zero but on the up side, at least they have talked unlike some others I could mention!