Freefly Radian Stabilization Module Now Available At Quadrocopter.com!

The Radian and the Hoverfly Gimbal are both good. I speak from personal experience with both of them.

To make these systems work at their best, the gimbal must be balanced, the center of gravity needs to align with the axis of rotation with the camera mounted, it must be set up to work with your gimbal, and belts and gears must be tight.

But, your using this on a 2 axis not 3 correct? That is a big difference as of right now because 1 works for pan on the cinestar and one will hopefully soon work. Next question, is the Radian 700$ better than the hoverfly

jes1111

For still photography the built in flight controller stabilization is more than enough
I know where you're coming from, but I gotta disagree with you on that :) - sure, for a GoPro with a fishbowl lens even an unstabilised tilt-only gimbal will be sufficient for stills. But a 5DMkII with, say, a 24-105, zoomed out to 105mm.. at dusk? You need the isolation and stabilisation to be every bit as good as for that Red ;)

3dheliguy

This is the age old question... "How do we get stable footage" your thinking about this all wrong. A MR is built to be an arial photography unit... They are were not built to be steadicams. Sorry but for the best results, for as close to steadicam just go buy a
Zenmuse... There's nothing better, and your not going to be able to afford the Hero 3000 for 40000, aside from an insane price...that company hasn't exactly perfected there last design, and I'm sorry to say but that says something to me.

ZAxis

I Have asked this question direct but haven't got a response so, Is the Radian going to be compatible/tested with an Av130 mount?
Lec

3dheliguy

Yes, I agree with ya, but by that time this whole industry will either destroyed by regulations, or they will one of us every street corner looking for work. So I figure we got till 2015, and then either way I'm sorry to say it won't be what it is today.

But it will always be a hobby, and there will always be a few amazing cinematographers that will rewrite the history books. Hope you guys are them.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Radian with AV130

[video]https://vimeo.com/groups/152661/videos/46931871[/video]

Lec there are more than just the video Tabb has linked to. go check out the GH2 one first. The others are shot in very windy conditions with a go pro. Hwe has posted one with a GH2 on board
Dave

ZAxis

I'm sure alot of people are thinking this but I'm going to put it out there. There will be a reaction comparable to world war 3 if I am to become a $700 paying beta tester! I'm confident we won't as this product has the benefits of industry professionals behind it but I still think it needs to be mentioned after the RSGS debacle. that said I'm very much looking forward to it!
Lec

3dheliguy

Sorry, Z Axis... There is nothing out there that compares to the Zenmuse right now, and feel for near future... A lot of companies want this tech to work, but they don't have the the Money, and resources that chinese defense contractor would like DJI, and those we see what is happening now... Dji will eventually be the benchmark for this industry for civilian use in the next five years, do to there resources man power and lower wages, that part of big businesses of today.

Also I have talked to DJI, and they are in the process of making a zenmuse for Small DSLR right now, and are in the testing fase, there also working on a zenmus for the 5D m2. This one won't be available quite some time I fear.

In terms of Gimbals hands down DJI wins. But there still is a lot to be desired from a more professional market. I'm sticking a
Zenmuse on the bottom of my SJ when she all up in running. You just can't beat right of the box performance for a fraction of the new Photohigher Gimbals that are going to be released. For Example a reliable source let me know about the price of the new Gimbals from photo higher, and it's plain and simply staggering how much they are thinking of asking.

Gimbals from photohigher
Go Pro : 1500- 2000 dollars
Nex 5n- 10000- 15000
DSLR- 25000-40000

3dheliguy

So be that as it may... If the Radian does half as good as I have seen it to be for a mere 1050 dollars, I would say BuyBuy Buy..
That's a good price a working stabilization system, but I think we all are getting those jitters from the last release from photo higher. So plz o plz don't use the public as your Beta testers, get a good handle on quality control, I will be a new customer for sure.

"amen"

so be that as it may... If the radian does half as good as i have seen it to be for a mere 1050 dollars, i would say buybuy buy..
That's a good price a working stabilization system, but i think we all are getting those jitters from the last release from photo higher. So plz o plz don't use the public as your beta testers, get a good handle on quality control, i will be a new customer for sure.

Brombo

Just a point of view
Anyone know how to connect a Radian module to a MK servo in a MK HiSight I ?
I would like to try, is that possible? The MKDS 18 without Poti and Resistor may works with Radian?
If yes, can someone please tell me how?!?

Hi Brombo,

In theory it should work fine. The only issue is will the MK servo tune up well with the Radian? I am not sure as I have not tested it myself. The type of servo is critical for Gimbal stabilization. Some servos simply do not work well at all.

Hope that helps

Tabb

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up Brombo.

I have Savox on my AV130 and it works well. Video here http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?8011-ADX3-HL-Sony-CX730-wind-testing-(NO-BOSS)

I would like to see the difference with the Freefly servos but right now I am happy with the results I am getting from the ADX3/AV130/Radian combo for what I need..

Aye Up Tabb,
I know yo say the FF servos are the Dogs Jobber but how much better than the Savox?

If they are much better then I will give um a whirl

Dave