F550's 2Axis Gimble for Nex5

Ghiro

VideoDroned
Hi Folks!
Noob here.
I've useed the search function but didn't came up with anithing about it.
As i said. . . i would like to lift a NEX5 with a stock F550 3S powered.
Any tip and/or advice?
Thank's

Ghiro

VideoDroned
Very intresting device, it's a solid mount though,
sorry for my ignorance but it looks like it doesn't have any orizontal compensation device though.

tstrike

pendejo grande
Not saying you couldn't lift the nex5 with a fixed mount, but a 2 axis gimbal will also need landing gear and maybe some form of video transmitter etc., it starts to add up fast for a stock f550. Nothing wrong with the gopro or some of the other point n shoot cameras for messing about.

Ghiro

VideoDroned
Clear. The F550 is a trainer, my needs are learning to fly without video gear for now but in a near future i will need to add some video gear and related items. Even though it's a trainer i allready have clients pay me to shoot some footage with it. I also have a GoPro that i can fit in the 550 but i'd rather start with the NEX5 . The reason why i don't want to use a GoPro is the jelly effect of it's extreme wide angle and the risk to have part of the front F550 frame and props included in the video. Something my "ElCheepo" clients wouldn't like to have in theyr own payed footage.
Considreing the GoPro instead of the NEX5
Anyone have some experience with this?
http://www.photohigher.co.nz/products/camera-gimbals-and-kits/cx-113-two-axes-camera-mount/

Last edited by a moderator:

Adidas4274

Check out Askman and Gary they have been making gimbals for a while and with in the last year have teamed up to make the AG line of gimbals.

TPpacks.com is where they sell from, but really they are running their shop out of a thread on a certain competing forum....

It is designed completely around the F550 and the Nex-5n, GH2 and other 4/3 sized cameras.

Check out my channel for tons of test footage (some good and some bad)
http://www.youtube.com/user/adidas4275?feature=mhee

t
hey are releasing a new hardware revision very soon (so I believe their gimbals are not on the tppacks.com site currently)
Edited

completely RAW

DLien

I have been using the Photohigher mount you mentioned. It’s ok but but the main roll bearing has been popping out on me from time to time. I have also been struggling to get the gains set right so that the video is nice and smooth. I am also flying a 550 with the Aeroxcraft gear which has worked out very well. You can spares for the gear too.

Is there a reason that you flying 3S batteries? I have been flying a 5000Mah 4S with Graupner 10X5 props. The 3s would work but I found the flight time be too short. With the 4S batteries I can get 9 to 10 minutes in the air reliably. I’d suggest switching to 4S batteries and a set of Graupner’s.

Ghiro

VideoDroned
3S choice suggestion came out from the shop owner, he stated that with this set up he was able to fly his own F550 for something like 10minutes. It's enough for my needs . I bought three packs of 3S 5000mAh so i can get at least 25 minutes of fly. I 'm also looking for the code for the Graupner Props, i bought several sets of DJI's , been a noob i allready knew i'm gonna crash'em so i've stocked a few sets. Is this the Aeroxcraft gear you've mentioned?
http://www.aeroxcraft.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20

Ghiro

VideoDroned
I've done some reading and ended up with the AeroXcraft landing gear and a Photohigher CX113 2 axis gimble. Now i'm looking around for different motors to be used with 3S batt's and a camera 5.8Ghz transmitter with a digital to analog converter for video feedback. . . i will use 10.4 Graupner props. Didn't came up with the motor set up yet . . . gotta get more info's. . .

Ghiro

VideoDroned
Hi Crinson, the aeroXcraft landing gear was ordered yesterday, when it'll be here i sure will post some pictures. Since you ask, i believe you think there's some problems match the two parts together, isn'it?

Hi Ghiro I didn't mean for my question to sound like that but yes. Some months ago I was asked to build an F550 with a two axis camera mount I looked at the AeroXcraft landing gear and the CX113 (as I had one at the time) The solution I came up with was to drill four horizontal holes in the AeroXcraft gear rails and use pins or plastic bolts (like the Droidworx ones for the CX4 but longer) through the new holes at the front of the gear rails using rubber grommets and through the four mounting holes on the CX113. Unfortunately the job never happened The client purchased an AD6HL with an AV130 from me instead. I was just curious as to how you planned on doing it thats all :)

Regards

Andrew

Ghiro

VideoDroned
Intresting.... i didn't knew there were some mounting "issues" and i would like to thank you for sharing your experience with this products. I believe i will work out something when the parts wil be in . You give me an intresting starting point tough . A virtual beer for you....

DLien

I have that same gear and camera mount. I ended up making a couple of rails out of some small aluminum L stock. I mounted these rails on the top side of the camera mount that comes with the landing gear. Two short pieces of aluminum tubing mount the CX113 to the rails. There wasn’t enough room to mount CX113 on the bottom side of the support tubing and keep the camera mount off the ground. The mount is very solid on the aircraft.

I have been working to smooth out the video quality which has been a problem. I don’t have any jello but there is a consistent shakiness that is causing me problems. I think the problem may be caused by having the camera out in the prop wash. I can side the whole thing aft an inch or so and see if it helps. If that does work, I'll see if I get the mount positioned directly below the center of the bottom plate...

Here is a short clip of the shakiness http://youtu.be/BV8DCXmHrYg

View attachment 6250View attachment 6251

Don

Attachments

• IMG_20120911_202025.jpg
    IMG_20120911_202025.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_20120911_202050.jpg
    IMG_20120911_202050.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 283

Ghiro

VideoDroned
Almost completed my build . Seems like we came up with the same solution with minor changes.
I've decided to remove the GoPro plastic case mostly because of the lens cover, the camera is attached to the Gimble with Kyosho double sided gel tape.
The tubes i used to hold the gimble to the L'G's camera support are 6mm carbon fibre passing through it and kept in place with 4 pieces of rubber O-rings. The O-rings found in the Aeroxcraft LG kit were to large in diameter for the carbon tubes i used so i placed'em inside the camera support to avoid the gimble to slide side by side and used my own as a replacement.

Attachments

• DSC02088.jpg
    DSC02088.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 373
  • DSC02089.jpg
    DSC02089.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 393
  • DSC02090.jpg
    DSC02090.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 375

Dewster

I was able to lift a Sony Nex 5n using:

DIY Xaircraft flat hexa frame
Avroto motors, 30 amp esc
Helibest 2 axis camera gimbal (cnchelicopter.com)
Foxtech Horyzon FPV camera
200 mw 5.8 video/audio transmitter and 1 x 6000 3s mah lipo battery
APC 10x4.7 props
DJI WKM

I had a flight time of 5 minutes under that load. I was carrying a lot of weight, but the craft performed without issue. It was actually flawless until I decided to get fancy and bought expensive full carbon fiber props for my craft. One of those props snapped in flight wrecking my bird (another story: Just stick with APC or Graupner props).

I don't see why a DJI F550 couldn't lift a Sony Nex 5n with stronger motors and a decent camera gimbal. I didn't just want to carry a Gopro camera. You want to have options. It a go pro is all that you intend on carrying you can stick with a quad and have less weight, get more flight time, and transportability. The Helibest camera gimbal isn't cheap, but I used it to carry my Sony Nex 5n to take pictures. It worked for me.

I ordered another gimbal since my last one was destroyed after a crash. It works well enough to get nice still photos (You'll need a camera with image stabilization for best results). My Gopro video were vibration free.

I have Aeroxcraft's landing gear. I just wonder if I'll have enough ground clearance for the Helibest camera gimbal without making any changes to the thickness of the foam for the camera mount. My current set up is on a Y6.

Ghiro

VideoDroned
Dewster do you have an HDMI/analog video converter on your rig? If so wich one and how do you power it? Thanks.

Dewster

Dewster do you have an HDMI/analog video converter on your rig? If so wich one and how do you power it? Thanks.

No. I use Gentled to trigger the camera via infrared and Horyzon (destroyed after a prop break induced crash) to see what I'm filming/shooting.