F550 WKM went down like a sack of bricks!!!

Dewster

I find the bullet connectors to be pretty tight initially. After a broken prop induced crash I rebuilt a quad to test my WKM system. I found that plugging and unplugging the bullet connectors only made for weaker connections. I like the idea of soldering the motor wires to the esc. especially if it eliminate strange behavior that I've read about.

papawg

I am fairly confident that soldering to the ESC is the best way to go. I thought I would throw another little problem out to see if this is happening to anyone else. Upon descending with my F550 alot of the times it gets kinda erratic or wobbly I guess would be another way to describe it. So going up is no problem at all but coming down is somewhat shaky at times. I don't know if thats just a characteristic of the Hexas or if maybe I could somehow correct it. Is this happening with anyone else?

kloner

Aerial DP
it's an mr thing. give it a little forward movement and she'll come down alot smoother than straight down

Dewster

I am fairly confident that soldering to the ESC is the best way to go. I thought I would throw another little problem out to see if this is happening to anyone else. Upon descending with my F550 alot of the times it gets kinda erratic or wobbly I guess would be another way to describe it. So going up is no problem at all but coming down is somewhat shaky at times. I don't know if thats just a characteristic of the Hexas or if maybe I could somehow correct it. Is this happening with anyone else?

I think it's just something to do with the craft descending into it's own rotor wash. My flat hexa did the same thing at times. If I was in slow forward flight during descent it would wouldn't happen. It would happen sometimes during a straight descent. Now my craft would wobble during windy conditions. It would wobble like it was losing control often veering off of heading lock.

I built a Y6 using the WKM. It behaves the same in higher winds. I tested RTH a few times and on a windy day my Y6 struggled to RTH. It tracked straight towards Home position, but the craft was canted 45 degrees off. I just let it do it's thing. I retook control when it got close and had no problems with flying it in the wind myself.

How much does your craft weigh? I find that on windier days that extra weight calms the craft down vs. having a super light craft. As far as the wobbles go, I've seen them and think it's just a WKM thing. It occurs sometimes when it's windy and definitely occurs when it descends in it's own rotor wash.

papawg

You know that makes sense, coming down in its own rotor wash. I guess if you apply a little forward motion it might have a tendency to come out of the wash so to speak. I have found that it does it if I have my camera on it or stripped down like it is now. You guys are gonna make me a Hex pilot yet. If my wife dont kill me first.:shame:

Last edited by a moderator:

T

trevlan

Hi Guys,

just some questions....
i see alot of yous are using 4s lipos with 10inch props? isnt this a no-no with stock motors?
i have had two crashes now with the dji one was about $150 repairs the second cost me almost $600.
gimbal, 2 lipos, gopro, immersion transmitter, 3 arms, 2 motors, 1 prop, not a happy camper.

i am really scared to fly this thing anyore.
i am now using 10inch APC's as recommended from DJI, but went to 3s lipos because of the motor ratings. getting much less flight times and like i said i am scared to fly this thing, not just cause of crashing but possibly casusing more damadge to something or someone around if it falls from the sky again.

P.S. DJI in china customer service sucks @$$.

T

trevlan

first time 1005 prop snapped, stock 8inch.
second was either again a prop or motor fail, it was coming home then just spun to the left and then dropped right to left in a decent.

DesJardins

second was either again a prop or motor fail, it was coming home then just spun to the left and then dropped right to left in a decent.

Check out my "Flip" thread... I finally had enough and am replacing all the motors with a worthy upgrade.
NO MORE DJI motors for me, I too am not confident in my quad and haven't mounted any FPV gear yet, waiting for my T-motors to try out.

Once I get the new motors on and some solid test flights I'll be adding to that thread about the problems so people don't deal with what I have

Dewster

I keep reading about a bad batch of DJI motors as being the cause for the flips. Also loose esc connections and prop failures. I use Avroto 2814/11s motors, with 10 inch APC or the 11 inch Graupners (on my Y6). Both run 6000 may 3s lipos. The motors and esc are cool after a flight. They were warm after one firmware revision (not sure which one because there were so many). I want to try 4s lipos for longer flight time.

I haven't had problems with violent twitching/flips etc. Every once in a blue moon I'll get some erratic behavior when it's windy. Nothing out of the norm.