"Drone" Radio Live....Launching Oct 28th!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
so much learned in the course of an hour, we learned more in that hour+ than we would have learned if we did ten more dry runs.

multiple Windows versions on multiple laptops meant to handle multiple Skype accounts....didn't work out (even though we did at least five dry runs with that set up) so I've got to fix that with a few dedicated older Win7 laptops

the red backdrop was horrible for exposure (@scotth said "what whorehouse did you steal the curtains from?) and we knew that but rolled it out anyway because I didn't have the time or money to change it. we'll be looking at our options to improve the set

a nice comment was made via email to add another camera with a straight down perspective. we've got a lot of technical capability that we're not using yet so additional cameras are possible and probable

Bruce was running the hardware and we'll have to improve how we communicate during the show to make camera selection and cuts smoother

and we overran the internet connection causing the feed to crash but that's already fixed so at least we recovered and I didn't have to wake up this morning wondering why the whole shebang went to hell ten minutes in.

I just saw this commercial and it made me feel a lot better! I had an idea, worked hard on it, and it came out a little ugly but it still looks beautiful to me so we'll keep working on it. Thanks again for the support and helpful comments!

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Man

Good find with the GE commercial:) All ideas start out in the rough and most of them unveil to discover unforeseen kinks that require a little additional attention. It's only the desire to succeed, dedication to improvement, and perseverance that allows any new idea to flourish.

I liked the ***** house backdrop:D

cootertwo

Interesting concept, and great first try. I wasn't aware of "live" you tube videos. I guess it's bandwidth or something. My cable internet connection has been getting slower and slower. Ever notice how slow things are on Christmas morning? When a whole lot of people are firing up their new computers? Skype usually works pretty well, but there's times when it gets clogged up too. Heck, look at it like a maiden flight of a newly constructed quad. It doesn't always go as planned. I too had to drop out when it locked on the AMA discussion, but I'll be there for the next one. Good job Bart and company. Cat house curtains huh? Maybe a few scantly clad kitty's. posing with the machines would be interesting.

F

fengshuidrone

The whorehouse curtains were ok but you being a pilot as well as a multirotor guru, my first thoughts on a great backdrop would be something, well, maybe, SKY blue? Maybe throw in some puffy white clouds. Just get a great shot of a summer day's sky and blow that puppy up. Now there is an appropriate backdrop for a show like yours. It would make lots of us feel right at home too.
You know, sort of like when the news is doing a story about Washington D.C. but they aren't there, but in the studio, they have the picture of the capitol on a sunny day behind the reporter.
I think that for some reason.....I might be wrong on this......it should be the sky:rolleyes: After all, you said onward and upward:D

Bartman

I noticed how nice the blue background looked at the AMA studio as we were talking. Bruce suggested I install a green screen but then I'd have to have a backdrop planned every time we shoot a show. My only concern with an active electronic backdrop is that edges of real things in the foreground can be digitally noisy and the overall appearance can suffer (not that it can get much worse than it was last night!). I may just hang lighter color curtains over the red for better exposure with our cameras and to improve sound deadening.

rest assured I've got a long list shaping up and a lot of work to do! keep the comments coming, good or bad, the only thing I can't change is the host, you're stuck with him!

Pumpkinguy

I thought Bart did a great job in front of the camera. He is well spoken and didn't seem nervous at all. You look pretty good for 47 Bart. I didn't love the curtains. I would have a monitor on the wall and that's where my Skype guests would be displayed with Bart in the foreground a litte off to the side.
Lastly, if you want to grow the viewership you need more colorful guests. People that are not just knowledgeable but exciting.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Congrats on getting through your first show. Work on the back ground and dim or soften up the lighting. Lots of other little things you can tweak, but that's all peripheral stuff. Content is key.

One of the things I found interesting was your conversation from the perspective of your day job. It sounds like you fly long routes, fly a big bird, and thus, land mainly at large/ major airports. Hopefully, you can tie your thoughts in on many show segments about regulation and safety which can blend in your two perspectives based on experience. First as someone with 100's of people you are responsible for getting safely from point a to point and secondly as a multi rotor pilot.

I'd be interested in hearing (on the show) your take on the chances of a serious accident from hitting a drone vs some of the large birds you encounter. A while back, I read an article penned by a pilot who also flies multi rotors. His opinion is that there are many more things that worry him and that his passengers should worry about than hitting a drone. He mentioned there are many more birds flying around than drones and as he gets higher up, many of those birds up higher are of the larger size, ie 20 lbs and up.. He wasn't saying it's not a concern having drones in the airspace, just that there were other problems that he thought posed a higher risk in regards of having something to worry about.

Look forward to the next show.......

F

fengshuidrone

Maybe we can get the feds to require all large birds to register, wear a number, and file a flight plan. Doesn't seem fair that they only pick on us "drone" folks.
Pumkinguy's suggestion of the skype screen is brilliant. That way you could carry on that face to face stuff better. I thought the content was OK for a first show. When it comes to guests, those were pretty awesome ones. I'm glad the AMA was willing to take the time to help you make this happen. It sucked that the feed went down when they were there. I would have liked to hear the rest of it.

Bartman

I noticed a few short gaps in the archive file that must have been created during the archiving process.

The feed didn't go down when we were talking to the AMA, did it?

Bartman

I've got to chew on the whole studio backdrop/setting thing for a few days and make a decision. It might not be done in time for the next show but whatever we do it will have to be perfect this time

F

fengshuidrone

I noticed a few short gaps in the archive file that must have been created during the archiving process.

The feed didn't go down when we were talking to the AMA, did it?
My screen went black during the AMA interview and when I refreshed it came up with the logo and offline status.

Bartman

that might explain the two shorts gaps in the archive file. did the blackout last very long, the gaps are relatively short compared to the one major disruption we had at the beginning.

i heard that the live broadcast of the World Series blacked out for six minutes the same night making me feel much better!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I do believe the AMA gaps were Internet/YouTube related. Because when I noticed it on the computer in the office - the Program screen in the studio showed no issues.

I had stuck my head in a couple times during that time and Bruce also indicated the program feed was fine.

F

fengshuidrone

It went away big time. Sat there for about three minutes waiting for it to return. Refreshed and said you were offline. I figured that you guys just gave up for the evening. Then I took the dog out to poop.

Old Man

Mine cut a few minutes into the AMA portion and went to an offline notice. It came back on for the last couple minutes of the broadcast. Just in time to see the end of the show.

Bartman

ok, that's good to know, i appreciate the intel from you guys.

the package we're using has a variety of settings to tune the stream so I'm going to have to dig into that to make it bulletproof, if that's even possible!

jfro

Aerial Fun
Mine cut out 3 times. I just left it on and when I heard the audio come back, I went back to your video stream..... I did notice the numbers of viewers cut way back when it showed "off line"....

The good news is after it cut out, when it came back, I don't think I missed anything. I have no way of knowing if I was delayed or current with your life show, but it appeared nothing was missed.